Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 11:15 PM

899 posts, read 516,789 times

Advertisements

Many people, including myself seem to believe that some people will not be sent to Heaven, but will not go to our traditional Hell either. They will just be deleted, or made nonexistent (often known as Annihilationism). It's bad, but many would consider it to be a lighter sentence than Hell.

However, is nonexistence Hell? It would really suck to be in a vacuum with no light, no sound, and to forget everything as quickly as you think it. That seems pretty awful to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 04:43 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
According to the prophecies of Jesus people may come to the non-existence form after their passing but this could be a very long time from their passing from their life on the earth were their spirit will not die. As this is dated at 1000 years after the second coming of Jesus Christ to rid the earth from the sin and antichrist, then God will rise up all creation of life and Judge and take the souls that were obedient to His will and the disobedient will face a second death that will be the end or to go into non-existence, where their spirit of people that does not die will die and be gone........

Old 12-30-2020, 05:46 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Many people, including myself seem to believe that some people will not be sent to Heaven, but will not go to our traditional Hell either. They will just be deleted, or made nonexistent (often known as Annihilationism). It's bad, but many would consider it to be a lighter sentence than Hell.

However, is nonexistence Hell? It would really suck to be in a vacuum with no light, no sound, and to forget everything as quickly as you think it. That seems pretty awful to me.
Not to worry none of those 3 options, heaven, hell or non-existence as you describe, exist. Just the life you are living now, so, as they say, go for broke.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:56 AM

6,786 posts, read 2,896,488 times
Hell is simply 'the grave' around which myths abound ...particularly so within present-day Christianity. Keeping people in abject fear and submissiveness will ensure that a steady stream of people keep the pews filled and the tithes rolling in. Christianity needs Hell and therefore perpetuates the cruel myth.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
accountability is a component of religion. "hell" addressed the angst of "they are going to get away it.". Its really about addressing individuals acting against people they think are wrong. Some activist just can't see they are wrong so we have to make up some story to settle them down.

But hell is just to far. No existence as hell shows people don't really understand what non awareness vs awareness is. no thinking ...at all ... isn't suffering, its nothing.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:

No. The Bible is clear that the unrighteous will face eternal, conscious punishment.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. The Bible is clear that the unrighteous will face eternal, conscious punishment.
ok, can you justify that as rational without the words "bible and god"?

Old 12-30-2020, 07:09 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
ok, can you justify that as rational without the words "bible and god"?
1. Why?

2. Punishment fits the crime.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
1. Why?

2. Punishment fits the crime.
why is because if you belief can be stated without any particular type of god (like my sides insistence on lack belief in deity only) that belief is generally more reliable across the board. They just tend to match what we see more.

we are not saying the punishment doesn't fit the crime. In fact we are actually saying eternal torture is not punishing people to fit the crime. What wee are saying, Its like damning a male loin to eternal hell for eating the cubs to put the lioness in heat. That is just not a rational statement.

You want to make it like hilter is in hell for ever ... ok. Most people can process that that. Its not true, but ok. That is different than saying non believers are going to burn for ever "literally".

Old 12-30-2020, 07:37 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:

If you did not exist, you would not be able to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality