Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 04:10 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,975,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
By my scorecard, QuakerBaker has the only winning entry thus far.
Yup. That I'll agree to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And an absolutely marvelous human being!
My sentiments too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 04:36 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
ahhh... the classical "whataboutism" raises it's ugly head.

Atheism is simple. Most would agree that as there is no evidence for a god or gods, they will not believe in them until such time that evidence is presented. There is nothing metaphysical about being an atheist. We don't believe in a god or gods. That's it.

Some atheists are right wing, some left wing, and some could care less about politics. There is nothing that binds them in any other way, other than that non-belief. Period.
Not true. What binds them is their utter obtuseness to the FACT that their preposterous lack of belief nonsense is actually a BELIEF about what constitutes our existing Reality, NOT about the existence or nonexistence of God. Our one and only indisputable Creator is Reality itself, period. That Creator is either God or not, but there is no question about whether our Creator EXISTS.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
ahhh... the classical "whataboutism" raises it's ugly head.

Atheism is simple. Most would agree that as there is no evidence for a god or gods, they will not believe in them until such time that evidence is presented. There is nothing metaphysical about being an atheist. We don't believe in a god or gods. That's it.

nipped for space...
Yeah, but we have a high concentration here at CD that deny all evidence no matter what. That is not just "simple atheism". And its dishonest for us regular atheist to pretend its not happening.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Not true. What binds them is their utter obtuseness to the FACT that their preposterous lack of belief nonsense is actually a BELIEF about what constitutes our existing Reality, NOT about the existence or nonexistence of God. Our one and only indisputable Creator is Reality itself, period. That Creator is either God or not, but there is no question about whether our Creator EXISTS.
Well, as I asked as the OP what one objective truth and how you would defend that, all I see in the above diatribe is more and more assertions. Your holy book is the claim, not the proof. Why can't you understand that.

Atheists simply see no proof of a god, gods, demons, leprechauns, faeries, angels, genies or any other non-seen and self identifying magical beings. Period.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, as I asked as the OP what one objective truth and how you would defend that, all I see in the above diatribe is more and more assertions. Your holy book is the claim, not the proof. Why can't you understand that?
The one objective truth is in bold. It cannot rationally be disputed that Reality is our Creator. Whether any of us want to name it God or not, it definitely exists so the existence issue is a non-starter. I couldn't agree more that some of the things believed ABOUT our Creator are questionable, but that our Creator EXISTS is not one of them. So demands for evidence of the existence of our Creator are just silly because all the evidence we collect is about our Creator, Reality. Demands for evidence of other beliefs about our Creator are fair game, just NOT existence.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:27 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
The one objective truth is in bold. It cannot rationally be disputed that Reality is our Creator. Whether any of us want to name it God or not, it definitely exists so the existence issue is a non-starter. I couldn't agree more that some of the things believed ABOUT our Creator are questionable, but that our Creator EXISTS is not one of them. So demands for evidence of the existence of our Creator are just silly because all the evidence we collect is about our Creator, Reality. Demands for evidence of other beliefs about our Creator are fair game, just NOT existence.
rabbit hole time

so there's a bunch of stuff. say a closet full of stuff, or a universe full of stuff.
calling a big bunch of stuff "our Creator" does not seem reasonable to me.

sure, a person can assign any meaning they want to any word they want.
but that makes it very difficult for the message to be conveyed, and makes things harder (rather than easier) to understand whatever message is attempting to be explained.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-26-2021 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
So the Big Bang is the Creator? Why the capital "C" then?

Belief is just unsubstantiated feelings. Atheists don't belief in the supernatural, as they see no proof of any of the propositions existing. They could change their minds (most) if that proof ever was presented.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:01 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
By my scorecard, QuakerBaker has the only winning entry thus far.

I'm also going to nominate this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Objective truth: Becoming a person of faith has made me happier and feeling more secure.

Maybe it's more subjective than objective, but if the poster is happy and secure, I'm not going to argue with that.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
rabbit hole time
so there's a bunch of stuff. say a closet full of stuff, or a universe full of stuff.
calling a big bunch of stuff "our Creator" does not seem reasonable to me.
sure, a person can assign any meaning they want to any word they want.
but that makes it very difficult for the message to be conveyed, and makes things harder (rather than easier) to understand whatever message is attempting to be explained.
Whatever you prefer to call it or think it is or is not, It definitely is our Creator and the literal Creator of EVERYTHING ELSE that exists. That is an awesome enough status to deserve a capital "C." YMMV.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
So the Big Bang is the Creator? Why the capital "C" then?
You can call Reality the Big Bang, but we do not actually KNOW what the hell it is, truth be known. But its status as our Creator is undisputable. It is why we and everything else exists. That is an awesome enough status to deserve a capital "C."
Quote:
Belief is just unsubstantiated feelings. Atheists don't belief in the supernatural, as they see no proof of any of the propositions existing. They could change their minds (most) if that proof ever was presented.
I do not and have never acknowledged the existence of the supernatural. There is no such thing, just what we cannot explain or do not currently understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality