Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 09:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You both demonstrate a perfect truth about spirituality: It doesn't have to come as a rare bolt of insight or a practice that takes your mind to another place. Spirituality can be found in the mundane things of every day. This morning I stepped outside into the cold and heard a crow. That was spiritual for me.

Years ago I learned that the days go better when I take a moment each morning to look out the window regardless of weather, take a few deep breaths, and be thankful for the day, whatever it may bring.

Then I have that first wonderful cup of coffee.

I'll try to remember to toast you tonight at wine-time, trobesmom.
lol, I always go out on the hottest and coldest days of the year (close as I can get anyway) just to feel it.
The universe experiencing itself, knowing it is experiencing itself as human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 09:39 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
An effort to connect with something higher than ourselves, usually free of dogma..
What, if anything, do you hold to be "higher than ourselves"?

Old 02-04-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think spirit is so much more than character.
How could that be since our character describes and reflects exactly who and what we are.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You both demonstrate a perfect truth about spirituality: It doesn't have to come as a rare bolt of insight or a practice that takes your mind to another place. Spirituality can be found in the mundane things of every day. This morning I stepped outside into the cold and heard a crow. That was spiritual for me.

Years ago I learned that the days go better when I take a moment each morning to look out the window regardless of weather, take a few deep breaths, and be thankful for the day, whatever it may bring.

Then I have that first wonderful cup of coffee.

I'll try to remember to toast you tonight at wine-time, trobesmom.
It was during my rigorous intellectual efforts to explain my experience that it eventually became obvious that the God of us all would not limit our ability to know Him based on intellect or anything else. Each of us has the ability to sense and bask in His presence if we are sincerely open to it without any and all preconditions, expectations, fears, or other human nonsense obstructing it.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
And taking out the trash.
Those are all satisfying events, but how do they correlate to a "spirit"?

Old 02-04-2021, 09:54 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
How could that be since our character describes and reflects exactly who and what we are.
Your character is contained within you, conditioned by your body and mind, and dies when you do.
Your spirit is unconditional, it fills the entire space and beyond, and is eternal

Old 02-04-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Your character is contained within you, conditioned by your body and mind, and dies when you do.
Your spirit is unconditional, it fills the entire space and beyond, and is eternal
When you say "entire space", do you mean Space as in the entire Universe.

Also, what leads you to these conclusion which, as you must already know, are "out there"?

Old 02-04-2021, 10:05 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Only the recordings of the creation of your quantum Self are in the brain. The death of the recordings has no effect on the actual Self residing within the spacetime field itself.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:10 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Those are all satisfying events, but how do they correlate to a "spirit"?
Good question that also crossed my mind...

Why call it spirituality in the first place when in so many cases we're simply describing that feeling "it's good to be alive?" How many "highs" can one experience that fall into this category? From the good cup of morning java to watching a glorious sunset. When does the satisfying event, the ultra good feeling become spiritual?

I think it depends on what a person wants to believe is the source of such a feeling, of "connectedness." Oneness. I'm not inclined to call it spirituality, because as you explain, spirituality is something else.

The dictionary definition is as follows:

Spirituality: the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

I suppose it is because I'm not concerned with the human spirit or soul that keeps me from describing my experiences along these lines as spiritual.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:25 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
When you say "entire space", do you mean Space as in the entire Universe.

Also, what leads you to these conclusion which, as you must already know, are "out there"?
As i said if one is qualified for spirituality such questions will have no meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality