Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 10:27 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Plato and Aristotle, Jesus, Buddha, Yangnyavakya. Their thoughts are still valued. Its value may depend on what you value and your mental limitations.
Seems we're talking "apples and oranges" again...

Or maybe something more like bricks and figs, I don't know, but I'm simply referring to the OBVIOUS differences between what went on over 2,000 years ago as compared to today. Having nothing to do with what you are referring to here.

To make it as simple as I can think to put it, compare what medicine and medical practice was prevalent over 2,000 years ago as compared to today. Again for example. Put your Plato hat on and tell me you don't understand how these differences are not only very significant but quite consequential when it comes to what we were thinking then as compared to what we think today. Please have mercy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 02:06 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Both ukrkoz and cb2008 are defending the musings and speculations of highly intelligent esoteric thinkers from ages past that resonate with them despite their obvious flaws from a lack of valid knowledge of Reality. Because of my experiences, I waded through most of it before finding its obvious flaws through science and philosophy.
It is too bad you did not attain epiphany after all that wading. It is only esoteric if you don't understand it. Scientists and philosophers who understand more than you do keep going back to the wisdom of the sages and finding new inspiration for their work.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems we're talking "apples and oranges" again...

Or maybe something more like bricks and figs, I don't know, but I'm simply referring to the OBVIOUS differences between what went on over 2,000 years ago as compared to today. Having nothing to do with what you are referring to here.

To make it as simple as I can think to put it, compare what medicine and medical practice was prevalent over 2,000 years ago as compared to today. Again for example. Put your Plato hat on and tell me you don't understand how these differences are not only very significant but quite consequential when it comes to what we were thinking then as compared to what we think today. Please have mercy...
Learnme, please keep learning. Don't give up. Stretch past dictionaries.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:56 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
It is too bad you did not attain epiphany after all that wading. It is only esoteric if you don't understand it. Scientists and philosophers who understand more than you do keep going back to the wisdom of the sages and finding new inspiration for their work.
You seem unable to recognize that I have already used their inspiration to understand what I have. You are the denialist just like the religious, insisting on retaining the ancient ignorance as truth.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You seem unable to recognize that I have already used their inspiration to understand what I have. You are the denialist just like the religious, insisting on retaining the ancient ignorance as truth.
Well, you went wrong somewhere, buddy. Your attempt to somehow insert Jesus into this one man religion you have founded, while denigrating the wisdom of sages, is not working for you. It could be karma from disrespecting ancient wisdom, while standing on their shoulders. It has led you astray, so angry and torn.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:53 AM

1,161 posts, read 466,032 times
Quote:
Well, you went wrong somewhere, buddy. Your attempt to somehow insert Jesus into this one man religion you have founded, while denigrating the wisdom of sages, is not working for you. It could be karma from disrespecting ancient wisdom, while standing on their shoulders. It has led you astray, so angry and torn.
Lest we forget, the Jesus who has been inserted isn't the Jesus of the Gospels either, who is the only historical Jesus we have. He was a complex and not easily pigeonholed sage. That Jesus, in Mystic's theology, is largely a fiction crafted by our primitive and barbaric ancient ancestors.

Are there even spiritual giants and sages alive today? It seems to me that the worship of science and the scientific method has resulted in vast spiritual regression. The notion that science is advancing mankind toward Truth is a dangerous illusion. It is advancing us toward "truth" with a very small t, but not toward Truth.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:15 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Lest we forget, the Jesus who has been inserted isn't the Jesus of the Gospels either, who is the only historical Jesus we have.
So mostly, if not completely, fictional.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:30 AM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:

Are there even spiritual giants and sages alive today? It seems to me that the worship of science and the scientific method has resulted in vast spiritual regression. The notion that science is advancing mankind toward Truth is a dangerous illusion. It is advancing us toward "truth" with a very small t, but not toward Truth.

This would definitely make a good subject for its own thread. Excellent question.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:

I believe the wisdom of the sages is within us, in our bodies and mind. It is what impels us towards seeking for that something that is more than what we understand as our life and world. Science seems to only confirm what we already sense. It is a great loss that scientific inquiry has sidelined the western tradition of philosophy, although it still exists. Philosophy, vedanta, ancient wisdom are all very much part of existence in in the rest of the world. Not that our minds are divided as east and west, the knowledge within is universal. It needs to be sought.
English alone is inadequate to understand the full import of texts that carry the ancient wisdom in Sanskrit, Arabic, Hebrew, Aramic and other means of communication. It is folly to think otherwise. Same foolishness as thinking that all meaning is dictated by a single dictionary or by Google.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Lest we forget, the Jesus who has been inserted isn't the Jesus of the Gospels either, who is the only historical Jesus we have. He was a complex and not easily pigeonholed sage. That Jesus, in Mystic's theology, is largely a fiction crafted by our primitive and barbaric ancient ancestors.

you don't get it. Most scientist don't care if there is or is not a god. Some would stand to make a ton of money if they proved a deity. A living universe is possible. A thinking universe is possible. A deity is clearly less likely than either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality