Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,793,234 times

Advertisements

I was thinking that certain religions seem to suit certain personality types more than others. To use the well known Myers-Briggs system, it seems that say:

Judaism is ISTJ - founder - various, Moses and Abraham notable figures

Islam is ESFJ - Muhammad

Christianity is ESFJ - Jesus

Buddhism is INTP - Gautama

Hinduism is ENFP - various

Zoroastrianism is ESFJ - Zoroaster

They also seem to reflect the personalities of their founders, and thus people with the following personality types will find those religions appealing. Someone without a strong sense of judgement might prefer an Abrahamic faith to say Buddhism, whereas Buddhism gels with those with a philosophical/abstract view of the world.

Of course, most of us tend to follow our parents, culture etc more than our gut feeling or preferences. While a Christian I think my personality type is more suited so to speak with Buddhism, especially the way the universe is described in abstract, with supreme principles instead of personal myths (as in story), and I take ideas etc from other faiths even if I don't think they have the truth. So in that sense people with a more INFP/INTP personality might veer towards a more abstract/gnostic Christianity, while Buddhists with a judging personality might prefer a sect of Buddhism that emphasizes karma and punishment.

Do you think I'm onto something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,696,567 times
Who cares, half of those people probably never even existed, they are composites of other religions in their local areas.

Honestly, someone has way too much time on their hands.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,882,252 times
I think so. I was an INTJ when I was Mormon, but now am an INTP as an agnostic/atheist.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 AM

659 posts, read 1,097,369 times
I'm an INTP Buddhist, so I'd say you nailed that one at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality