Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 10:41 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

Have recommendation conductive to very spiritual thinking.
Either go for a slow walk or, sit on a bench, at a cemetery.
Simply contemplate one thing
Sic transit Gloria mundi
Also
Vanitas vanitatum et Omnia vanitum
Very contemplating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 11:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Have recommendation conductive to very spiritual thinking.
Either go for a slow walk or, sit on a bench, at a cemetery.
Simply contemplate one thing
Sic transit Gloria mundi
Also
Vanitas vanitatum et Omnia vanitum
Very contemplating
In my family, we have always loved visiting cemeteries. My mother would take my sister and me when we went on vacation and saw a cool old cemetery (that sister now has over 50K photographs on Find-A-Grave).

I had a spiritual experience once in a cemetery. My daughter was small, maybe 3 or 4, and my mother and I were visiting my aunt. My daughter was restless and my mother wanted to chat more with my aunt, so I took my daughter to the little cemetery down the street where my cousin and I used to play when we were kids.

We were in the cemetery for a few minutes when my daughter spied two rabbits and ran over to them. Of course they took off, and she began to chase them. I ran after her and the rabbits kept going, but then I noticed two stone rabbits sitting on top of a couple of nearby graves. I went over to look at them, and to my surprise, the names on the graves were familiar to me.

I belonged to my first Episcopal church at the time, and the graves were of an older woman who had befriended me at that church when I first attended but who had since died. I'd sort of watched her during the services to know what to do (sit, stand, kneel, etc.) when I first starting going there. The other grave was her great-granddaughter who had died a few days after birth. I had no idea until then they were buried in that cemetery near my aunt's house, which was a good 15 miles away from the church to which I belonged.

It was so odd to me with the real rabbits leading me to the graves with the stone rabbits sitting on the grave of someone I knew. At the time, I wrote a monthly column in the church newsletter, and I went home that day and wrote my next one, "Signs of Life in a Cemetery". In response, I received a lovely letter from the older woman's sister telling me how much my story meant to her.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:09 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In my family, we have always loved visiting cemeteries. My mother would take my sister and me when we went on vacation and saw a cool old cemetery (that sister now has over 50K photographs on Find-A-Grave).

I had a spiritual experience once in a cemetery. My daughter was small, maybe 3 or 4, and my mother and I were visiting my aunt. My daughter was restless and my mother wanted to chat more with my aunt, so I took my daughter to the little cemetery down the street where my cousin and I used to play when we were kids.

We were in the cemetery for a few minutes when my daughter spied two rabbits and ran over to them. Of course they took off, and she began to chase them. I ran after her and the rabbits kept going, but then I noticed two stone rabbits sitting on top of a couple of nearby graves. I went over to look at them, and to my surprise, the names on the graves were familiar to me.

I belonged to my first Episcopal church at the time, and the graves were of an older woman who had befriended me at that church when I first attended but who had since died. I'd sort of watched her during the services to know what to do (sit, stand, kneel, etc.) when I first starting going there. The other grave was her great-granddaughter who had died a few days after birth. I had no idea until then they were buried in that cemetery near my aunt's house, which was a good 15 miles away from the church to which I belonged.

It was so odd to me with the real rabbits leading me to the graves with the stone rabbits sitting on the grave of someone I knew. At the time, I wrote a monthly column in the church newsletter, and I went home that day and wrote my next one, "Signs of Life in a Cemetery". In response, I received a lovely letter from the older woman's sister telling me how much my story meant to her.

What a great story MQ!

I know you can put these things down to co-incidence and chance, but this story is enough to make anyone think twice.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:34 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What a great story MQ!
I know you can put these things down to co-incidence and chance, but this story is enough to make anyone think twice.
If it doesn't, perhaps they aren't spiritual after all.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:56 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Back in ol country, cemetery was art museum. I spent days there.
OSHO recommends to spend significant time with dying people or, dead ones.
It is akin to cold shower for raging mind. Better than COVID.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But you will not allow it to BE part of the discussion expecting us to depend on you to see the connections and "think 'Oh...God'." But you are predisposed NOT to see and think 'Oh...God'. That is the trick and undoubtedly the reason the forum rules against such pairings of science and God exist.
It is science (note - not the Topic of the forum, let alone the thread) and it is for You to explain how it supports the god -claim. Which you have tried to do and come up with nothing more more than speculative, not to say 'analogous' (which you effectively did somewhere) claims.
If I am not disposed to see 'god' everywhere I look, I'm rather thankful for it as it means I won't fall into the absurdities that you post.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If it doesn't, perhaps they aren't spiritual after all.
If spiritual means susceptible to noting coincidences and thinking them significant, perhaps you are right.

But I do get the idea of a feeling of awe and peace as you describe.
Quote:
The ocean is thing that really does it for me. For 15 years we lived a stones throw (walking distance) from the ocean.
When everything got too much I would walk down there at night and sit on the pebble beach and listen to the waves in the dark.
I used to love going for a walk down there at night when nobody else was around. Just me the ocean and the universe.

Sadly I don't live so close to the ocean now. Nowhere accessible anyway, such is America where everyone owns their bit of beach.

But when we go on vacation I make a point of getting up everyday about an hour before sunrise while my family sleeps on and drive down to the ocean. The best time is about 30 minutes before the sun comes up when there's a purple light and glow across the sky and the birds haven't woken up yet. It's so serene. I'm usually back before anyone has even woken up. Sometimes I wake them all up and drag them with me, but it doesn't do it for them the way it does it for me. They wonder why I've dragged them out of bed so early.

This summer I even did this one morning in the drizzly rain. When the sun came up it was glorious. The beach pebbles were a rainbow of colors uncovered by the drizzle glistening off them, revealing all the colored lines of the strata running through them; something you don't see when the sun is up and the sun is shining and they have dried out again. I thought to myself I'd have never have seen this if I hadn't been here in the rain in the morning light.
These are the precious moments in life when you take the time to really notice your surroundings.

There was a particular spot back in the UK on the beach that I loved.
I have asked my husband if I die before him I want my ashes scattered there.
I don't know if anyone remembers the actor Peter Cushing?
He lived at a spot near there and also loved his view and in fact there is a little plaque on a wall dedicated to him called Cushing's View. In this case the view faces north so the best view is at sunset.
I just see it as human feelings. But I assert that the rationalist-skeptical amazement at nature is no less for not seeing it as the work of a god (name you own) or, as Popeye put it 'A rose, by any other name, would smell just as much'.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-24-2021 at 01:50 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 07:05 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Back in ol country, cemetery was art museum. I spent days there.
OSHO recommends to spend significant time with dying people or, dead ones.
It is akin to cold shower for raging mind. Better than COVID.
I dont get cemeteries. Some are like fancy villas for what is essentially earth. Like the recoleta in buenos aires, some were laid out with antique furniture and draperies with parlours etc. who are they expecting? I find it all kind of sad and morbid.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:46 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
The ocean is thing that really does it for me. For 15 years we lived a stones throw (walking distance) from the ocean.
When everything got too much I would walk down there at night and sit on the pebble beach and listen to the waves in the dark.
I used to love going for a walk down there at night when nobody else was around. Just me the ocean and the universe.

Sadly I don't live so close to the ocean now. Nowhere accessible anyway, such is America where everyone owns their bit of beach.

But when we go on vacation I make a point of getting up everyday about an hour before sunrise while my family sleeps on and drive down to the ocean. The best time is about 30 minutes before the sun comes up when there's a purple light and glow across the sky and the birds haven't woken up yet. It's so serene. I'm usually back before anyone has even woken up. Sometimes I wake them all up and drag them with me, but it doesn't do it for them the way it does it for me. They wonder why I've dragged them out of bed so early.

This summer I even did this one morning in the drizzly rain. When the sun came up it was glorious. The beach pebbles were a rainbow of colors uncovered by the drizzle glistening off them, revealing all the colored lines of the strata running through them; something you don't see when the sun is up and the sun is shining and they have dried out again. I thought to myself I'd have never have seen this if I hadn't been here in the rain in the morning light.
These are the precious moments in life when you take the time to really notice your surroundings.

There was a particular spot back in the UK on the beach that I loved.
I have asked my husband if I die before him I want my ashes scattered there.
I don't know if anyone remembers the actor Peter Cushing?
He lived at a spot near there and also loved his view and in fact there is a little plaque on a wall dedicated to him called Cushing's View. In this case the view faces north so the best view is at sunset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If spiritual means susceptible to noting coincidences and thinking them significant, perhaps you are right.

But I do get the idea of a feeling of awe and peace as you describe.

I just see it as human feelings. But I assert that the rationalist-skeptical amazement at nature is no less for not seeing it as the work of a god (name you own) or, as Popeye put it 'A rose, by any other name, would smell just as much'.

That's true.
I suppose these days the buzzword for it is 'wellbeing'.

But isn't it strange how we need it? I mean it's not a want, it's an actual need.
I've never been as mentally fulfilled as I was when I lived near that beach. Even though on the face of it I have much more material 'stuff' than I had back then. These days I'm lucky not to have money worries and I live in a wonderful place, have a wonderful family. I recognise how very, very fortunate I am. But I yearn to be back near that ocean everyday.

Don't you think this is strange?
How the environment can have that effect on you?

Old 02-24-2021, 08:09 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
That's true.
I suppose these days the buzzword for it is 'wellbeing'.

But isn't it strange how we need it? I mean it's not a want, it's an actual need.
I've never been as mentally fulfilled as I was when I lived near that beach. Even though on the face of it I have much more material 'stuff' than I had back then. These days I'm lucky not to have money worries and I live in a wonderful place, have a wonderful family. I recognise how very, very fortunate I am. But I yearn to be back near that ocean everyday.

Don't you think this is strange?
How the environment can have that effect on you?
the effect is because the environment and the essential you are the same. that is non-dualism. that is the way you are meant to feel.
when this “feeling” becomes truth, it is spirituality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality