Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times

Advertisements

so i am guessing none of these parents are going to have a magician--i mean wizard --at their kids' next birthday party!
i wonder why people from around the world think amricans are a joke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Troop,
I just have to believe that there is more to that story than we are hearing. Far be it for the new media to tell the whole truth. I am pretty sure that one of my teachers high school teachers likes to do tricks/magic in his class. I would never consider even having a talk with the teacher unless it involved anything from Rick Jones or Chick Pub..
<>< weather...
I agree weather. I re-read the story and it made mention that the schoolboard said he had previously been in trouble for allowing kids to use certain computers they weren't supposed to and for not adhering to curriculum, but I don't understand how one can lose their job over "wizardry". That's what gets me. Now, had they said he lost his job because he was deviating from the criteria again than that's one thing. But, it seems like people felt that there was some real magic going on in the class and apparently the schoolboard bought it... Like you said... There's gotta be something more to it. If not, than I'm literally scared.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I honestly can't believe this... People don't really think like this do they? I really hope that this is a "fake news" story but my suspicions tell me that it's real. I thought we left 17th century New England behind us... This simply blows my mind.

Magic trick costs teacher job - Tampa Bays Local News (broken link)
I didn't read the article .... can't be bothered with news nonsense like that but you ask "are people in this country really this naive?"
Ummmm, well, who's been the president for 8 years?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
The more I read the news and the more I read about collective insanity, the more I feel like The Handmaid's Tale has taken root in the USA.

I am frightened.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:07 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
I don't know what you are all making a fuss over. A substitute teacher lost his job because he did not follow curiculum and let the kids in the class do what they wanted. So he liked magic tricks. This just might have been the last straw for the school district, but you all sound like the christian right ganged up on him. Or there is some kind of conspiracy against this man. This was a school board decission. There seems nothing strange about the article. The media likes those catch words to make a story interesting. I think they made a post and discussion appear out of thin air. The magic is in the media blowing something out of proportion that is mundane or trivial.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:22 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I don't know what you are all making a fuss over. A substitute teacher lost his job because he did not follow curiculum and let the kids in the class do what they wanted. So he liked magic tricks. This just might have been the last straw for the school district, but you all sound like the christian right ganged up on him. Or there is some kind of conspiracy against this man. This was a school board decission. There seems nothing strange about the article. The media likes those catch words to make a story interesting. I think they made a post and discussion appear out of thin air. The magic is in the media blowing something out of proportion that is mundane or trivial.
I think, for once, I am in partial agreement with you, Nikk.

I do think that there's more to the story than what's taken at face value. Certainly the guy was fired over deviating from curriculum rather than actually doing "wizardry", right??

I wonder about this scenario... The guy gets called into the principal's office (isn't that where bad teachers go too??) and is told he is being relieved of his job. When he asks why, the principal wittingly (perhaps snidely) remarks that it was for "wizardry" based on a phone call he received from a parent. At that point, the teacher becomes infuriated and sees it as the sole reason why he got fired and goes to the media. Nevermind the deviation from the curriculum or his prior issues, the main focus seemed to be on the word "wizardry". That is my suspicion. But, the reason I had to ask was I wanted to know if anyone else thought that there was an actual substantiative claim that the guy was performing "wizardry" in the class room and felt it was justifiable to fire him over it for that reason alone.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
so i am guessing none of these parents are going to have a magician--i mean wizard --at their kids' next birthday party!
i wonder why people from around the world think amricans are a joke?
Oh no, I am having a magician for my boys birthday party. Since I am a believer I should cancel.

I think Nikk is right, there is so much more than just this. It is just the news trying to stir up controversy. Well congratulations, it did.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
I'm not surprised. This ranks right up there with the teacher who was reprimanded for having a Bible on his desk. People are far too hyper-sensitive. And school officials are far too limp-wristed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality