Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,588,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think the problem is that all too often christians give other christians "a pass".
Agreed, just like too often Muslims do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,562,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Agreed, just like too often Muslims do the same.
agreed just like too often atheist do the same.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I notice that those feebly bleating "But! But! Context!" in an attempt to excuse this racist drivel can't be bothered to actually articulate what the excusing context happens to be.

Why?

nipped for space ...
There is no "but but buit" context. What is being shown is that anti-religious crusade is using slavery to show how bad religion is. Its trying to show that slavery is some how connected/caused by religion.

That notion is utterly false.

Even more false, in fact its a flat out lie, is that believing in some thing leads to all bad things.

maybe, try and be honest. show where believing we are part pf a larger more complex system does not match what we see and show us where it is the cause of all evil.

Don't worry. I am fully aware that you will not answer. Debating with a person that doesn't believe in god and has nothing against religion means you are out of your weight class. When you can only use the facts that we have, without god, things get dicey for you.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:25 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,588,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
agreed just like too often atheist do the same.
Care to give an example? Please?

Old 03-27-2021, 11:31 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,680,241 times
Quote:
At least we see the team that this self styled Atheist is really batting for.
Quote:
And you refuse to acknowledge that "biblical slavery" INCLUDED chattel slavery, even though the passages have been shown to you many times.

That means you are not ignorant, but willfully are not telling the truth. This NOT a matter of interpretation... the language is clear, unambiguous, and irrefutable. What the heck do you think it means if a slave can be sold?

I recall that he (and former poster Jeffbase) were involved in this discussion and it was shown to him that Slavery in the Bible (for non - Hebrews) was chattel -slavery just as in the Confederacy and he simply denied what the Bible said. And is here continuing denial. And yes, it is remarkable how many of these theists are trying to defend or excuse or even blame on atheism what (from what the media says) is a defence of Southern slavery by referring to Biblical support for it. As though an atheist would do that.

At least Arach is throwing the fellow under the bus and saying that Christianity is against slavery, even if that wasn't true at one time and was abolished on humanist grounds and Christianity has had to adapt. Except in the South it seems.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:48 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,006,761 times
Unfortunately, Christians are not the only one's who defending slavery. It was somewhat surprising to see some members of society, who claim to be marginalized, in full support of the confederate statues remaining in place, "It's history blah, blah, blah".

Old 03-28-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
yes, atheist believe in things. From living planet to cosmic minds and all points in between. Buddhism is an example. Some atheist feel it is ok address some beliefs differently than their own. And so long as atheist are doing the same things and say the same things, they go unchecked.

My personal experience is when they say "Ok, but just don't slow us down. We have the same goal." or atheist do it when they say things "I don't like talking about that because of how some theist will make a big deal out of it." or they feel we need to change or avoid how we word things because some obnoxious theist will grab onto it and be obnoxious about it. So they will be silent when another atheist is just pounding on all beliefs without saying anything.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM

I think stating things like "it was how people lived back then" is not justifying it. It is still wrong.

But understanding something so foreign by putting it in historical context makes sense out of it. Life was down right brutal back then. Back before a country could borrow money without worry about paying it back they had to do things to maintain a certain life style. Being human, well, "me or them" ... "them" is always the ones that suffer.

Slavery is wrong. People that are stating Christianity is wrong because Jesus said "be nice to them" and "do what you told" is a weak argument at best. Died and rose for our sins is what's wrong. If I can get you to believe that I can get you to believe my slave is justified.

Since I am not a theist, I focus on "what is that person doing defending slavery." I don't focus on the religion they are in.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
At least we see the team that this self styled Atheist is really batting for.

nipped for space ...
Yes, to you its about T-shirt color. To me its about what the person is saying and doing. You focus on the belief I focus on what they are saying. "self style" is what atheism is. You want me to conform to your chapter (better stated sect) of atheism.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:34 AM

15,931 posts, read 7,001,747 times
This whole thread is built on a flimsy argument for the shameless purpose of slamming a whole lot of people, Christians, with charge of endorsing slavery and throw in Muslims randomly for a good measure. This is the height of intellectual dishonesty.
The video is false propaganda by the poster. What the man says are his own words for his own purpose - maintain white supremacy by preserving the statues that honor slave owners and defenders of slavery.
Your wrath, if true and stems from anti-racism, should be on him, and him alone. You dont know what kind of a racist he is - a believer or atheist. He can be either. He is not some Bible expert. He was wrong in quoting Jesus. Jesus did not say them. If he believed it we have no evidence.
The motive behind this post is not about the shame of slavery or white supremacy it is about shaming people for the purpose of gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality