Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 04:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes. exactly.
and that one thing that atheists don't believe in, is not in any way, shape, or form described as "religion."
atheism is not defined by religion in any way. atheism is not predicated in any way upon religion.

there are atheists posting who continue to be confused about something so basic
You need separation between how it works and what you believe. If we match the two your belief system starts to show cracks.

People based on faith need to keep others from examining and learning how things work. That is a problem. What they believe in is far less of an issue.

Then we get into strict definitions vs people expressing those definitions. Its definition and how people treat it are different in many cases. Atheism is a statement of belief about god for some. It is a statement of belief about types of god or what some would call sortagod.

The way some atheist treat atheism makes it look like they are religious. They are focused on the statement of belief about god. They feel their statement of belief about god is the truth that can "save us". However, they are not most in my opinion. Most atheist believe in things, all sorts of things. From living planet, souls in everything, the self as god, all the way up to cosmic mind. I include mystics and glds type type of god in that they are not a deity to me. And all points in between.

Some are fighting religion. Some are not.

The line is how a statement of belief about god is driving a persons behavior. Is atheism defining a person actions vs just stop religion vs just not thinking its a god thing. To me anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Then a Christian claim, not a religious claim. Atheism believes in a different claim.
You are confusing atheism with atheist. atheism is just a lack of belief in god. It really just meant, back in the day, lack of belief in a deity type god.

Theism says "there is a creator god". Another person says "I don't believe that.". Then others call the person that says "I don't believe you" an atheist.

That is the most basic form.

Then there are types of people expressing atheism. That is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:07 AM

22,167 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You are confusing atheism with atheist. atheism is just a lack of belief in god. It really just meant, back in the day, lack of belief in a deity type god. Theism says "there is a creator god". Another person says "I don't believe that.". Then others call the person that says "I don't believe you" an atheist. That is the most basic form. Then there are types of people expressing atheism. That is a whole 'nother can of worms.
bold above.
yes.

nothing to do with religion

Old 04-16-2021, 08:17 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
bold above.
yes.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
bold above.
yes.

Ok, I am confused.

I say your deity is nonexistent. I have nothing to do with your religion past that.

What is your point? What are you trying to show me?

Old 04-17-2021, 04:02 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
atheism is just a lack of belief in god
Quote:
bold above.
yes.

Quite so. One can believe in a God and not be religious and one can be religious and not believe in a God.

But usually one associates the belief in a God with religion, so one can forgive the confusion.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Quite so. One can believe in a God and not be religious and one can be religious and not believe in a God.

But usually one associates the belief in a God with religion, so one can forgive the confusion.
that is correct. I have less patient with people that ignore that once it has been clarified tho. Its like they choose to ignore lines of logic just because they answer to a statement of belief about god. It seems that a statement of belief about god should answer to observations.

And, the most hideous line of logic, to me, is is when good people get bamboozled with "Ok, but don't slow us down, we have the same goals and are here to help you too.". I wonder what frame of mind people are in that buy into that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality