U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 PM

600 posts, read 846,807 times

Advertisements

This is a clip from youtube of a 5 year old girl who is blind. She is able to play songs on the piano after only hearing them once. Just curious about what the evolutionist would say is the reason she is able to do this. I think it's a gift that she was born with, given to her by God. Also, how do you account for the emotion that you have undoubtedly felt as you watched the clip (that is, unless you're a cold hearted person, which I assume none of you are )? I don't think emotion is a trait that you can say has "evolved" over time.

Oh, this is a Korean program called Star King, sort of like our Star Search. I have four children from Korea so I really enjoy watching anything having to do with Korea...just an FYI

YouTube - Star King #8 - Five Year Old Blind Genius Pianist (en)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 PM

4,891 posts, read 11,999,177 times
i couldnt even watch it all--it was too much for me--i am crying.
i wonder if in a past life she played the piano and it is still in her memory?
she is amazing

Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM

5,162 posts, read 5,755,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
I think it's a gift that she was born with, given to her by God.
And this supposed gift could've been given to anybody else on the planet. Why one person? What about the other people who are blind? Since you think talent is a gift from your god, how come only some people have talents and others don't? How come they can become celebrities and you can't? You see where I'm going with this? If we are equal as human beings, no just creator would give special treatment to some people. That's like saying thank god if a few people (one of which you are related to) fell into a shark tank and only your relative survives. What about the relatives of the others who have just as much faith as you? Why does your relative get special treatment?

The whole gift by god thing just doesn't hold up.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM

600 posts, read 846,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
And this supposed gift could've been given to anybody else on the planet. Why one person? What about the other people who are blind? Since you think talent is a gift from your god, how come only some people have talents and others don't? How come they can become celebrities and you can't? You see where I'm going with this? If we are equal as human beings, no just creator would give special treatment to some people. That's like saying thank god if a few people (one of which you are related to) fell into a shark tank and only your relative survives. What about the relatives of the others who have just as much faith as you? Why does your relative get special treatment?

The whole gift by god thing just doesn't hold up.
Interesting that you focused on one sentence and felt it necessary to completey bash what I stated was MY belief but ignored the original question in the post. Care to take a stab at that?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 PM

4,915 posts, read 7,445,138 times
Why would a loving and all-mighty god allow her to be blind in the first place? Just asking.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting that you focused on one sentence and felt it necessary to completey bash what I stated was MY belief but ignored the original question in the post. Care to take a stab at that?
You asked an absurd question to begin with. And I quote..

"How does evolution account for something like this?"

Who says evolution has anything to do with it?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM

7,475 posts, read 14,458,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You asked an absurd question to begin with. And I quote..

"How does evolution account for something like this?"

Who says evolution has anything to do with it?
I agree, this situation that the OP presented has nothing to do with evolution.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I agree, this situation that the OP presented has nothing to do with evolution.
Exactly. It's like asking how does evolution account for some people being born smart and others with learning disabilities.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 PM

24,639 posts, read 14,700,269 times
Think it might be simple genetics?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 PM

6,594 posts, read 8,666,350 times
Quote:
This is a clip from youtube of a 5 year old girl who is blind. She is able to play songs on the piano after only hearing them once. Just curious about what the evolutionist would say is the reason she is able to do this. I think it's a gift that she was born with, given to her by God. Also, how do you account for the emotion that you have undoubtedly felt as you watched the clip (that is, unless you're a cold hearted person, which I assume none of you are )? I don't think emotion is a trait that you can say has "evolved" over time.

Oh, this is a Korean program called Star King, sort of like our Star Search. I have four children from Korea so I really enjoy watching anything having to do with Korea...just an FYI

YouTube - Star King #8 - Five Year Old Blind Genius Pianist (en)
Deb,

I think you have to understand that evolution is not a religion. It does explain the variety of life and the different characteristics that human, animals, and plants all have. With that being said, I think your question would better be asked as this:

"How does science account for something like this?"

And to really understand that you have to realize that there is a physical and natural explanation for both her disability and her remarkable talents. Even, as you suggest, if God were making it so, he would be doing so in a way that is "natural". In other words, and I'll play along with that theory for the sake of being friendly, even if he was stimulating her brain in such a way that she was blind but musically brilliant, there would be a physical (read scientific) explanation for it. Perhaps her "creativity" center (often thought to be the frontal lobe) is overactive but, as a result, she is blind. Either way, that may be the scientific answer for it. She's probably been to many doctors and they may have said what the answer was but the diagnosis, I assure you, did not include "God is doing this..." because it just can't be proven on a scientific realm.

So, how does evolution account for something like that? The only thing evolution can provide an answer for in this context is that both human creativity and/or emotion are traits that helped us survive. After that, the realm of neuroscience, cell biology, and a few others may do a better job of explaining it.

Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality