Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 11:21 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,382,954 times

Advertisements

In Genesis 1:27 it says "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

If this is indeed true then why were we created with the most common elements in the universe: Oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon, calcium, and phosphorus? If we were truly special you would think that we would have been created with some rare exotic elements found no where else in the universe.

If this is indeed true then genetically why do we share more than 98 percent of our DNA with chimpanzees? If we were truly made in the image of God our DNA would be nothing like a chimps.

If this is indeed true why did he create man with a hormone (testosterone) that is solely responsible for the violence and death in this world? In John 4:7 it states: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God." If love came from God then he sure screwed up giving man testosterone.

In my opinion God did not create man in his own image. Feel free to change my mind. Tell me where I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 11:28 AM

10,955 posts, read 7,015,714 times
This would be for the Christianity forum.

Regardless how we came about, we have a life to attend to. That's what matters most. Most of the origins matters will likely always be out of reach of our full understanding. Spinning wheels with the unknown - at the expense of the known - is folly.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,594,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
In my opinion God did not create man in his own image. Feel free to change my mind. Tell me where I am wrong.
You aren't wrong. Man created God in man's image. That's why God loves war, murder, rape, owning slaves, is a racist and a misogynist.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:04 PM

4,844 posts, read 4,132,275 times
Perhaps the reason for the commonality of the elements and animals is to further show that God is in everything; to further illustrate that we all belong to the same worldly community; that even among shared factors, there are miracles and special things.

Perhaps we are taking the word 'image' too literally. Perhaps 'image' is meant in a more philosophical way?

Old 09-03-2021, 12:10 PM

50,257 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Perhaps the reason for the commonality of the elements and animals is to further show that God is in everything; to further illustrate that we all belong to the same worldly community; that even among shared factors, there are miracles and special things.

Perhaps we are taking the word 'image' too literally. Perhaps 'image' is meant in a more philosophical way?
Perhaps, but is there something in the bible that indicates that? After all, christians aren't allowed to think independently. Right?

Old 09-03-2021, 12:48 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You aren't wrong. Man created God in man's image. That's why God loves war, murder, rape, owning slaves, is a racist and a misogynist.
However you prefer to define God or name God, at the very base level, God is why we exist. Change the name and add or subtract whatever attributes you prefer but that won't change that ultimate reality.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:53 PM

25,407 posts, read 9,695,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
In Genesis 1:27 it says "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

If this is indeed true then why were we created with the most common elements in the universe: Oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon, calcium, and phosphorus? If we were truly special you would think that we would have been created with some rare exotic elements found no where else in the universe.

If this is indeed true then genetically why do we share more than 98 percent of our DNA with chimpanzees? If we were truly made in the image of God our DNA would be nothing like a chimps.

If this is indeed true why did he create man with a hormone (testosterone) that is solely responsible for the violence and death in this world? In John 4:7 it states: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God." If love came from God then he sure screwed up giving man testosterone.

I would think if he created man in his image, we'd all be invisible, omniscient and omnipresent.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
However you prefer to define God or name God, at the very base level, God is why we exist. Change the name and add or subtract whatever attributes you prefer but that won't change that ultimate reality.
You're talking about god, not God.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I would think if he created man in his image, we'd all be invisible, omniscient and omnipresent.
Right?

Old 09-03-2021, 01:15 PM

50,257 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Before retiring as a principal, there were a few students who thought that about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality