Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 AM

553 posts, read 568,354 times

Advertisements

For starters here are some words attributed to Jesus and they will prove to be good examples of read and still not see.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Mark 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass,[/b] till all these things be done.

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

When Jesus stood before the High Priest and his court just before his execution, he was asked if he was the one (promised messiah). He is said to have replied with this beauty:

And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Mark 14:62)

Jesus sent out his Disciples to preach and he predicted the hardships they would have to endure. To encourage them in their mission, he comforted them with these words:

"But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come." (Matthew 10:23)

I am told that I cannot understand the word of God unless I have the spirit of God to lead me and probably because I can't read, but these seem pretty straightforward to me. In fact, I still have not see one rebuttal to the few scriptures I have provided so far, yet my opinions are simply categorically discarded because I am not part of some inner circle. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:58 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
For starters here are some words attributed to Jesus and they will prove to be good examples of read and still not see.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Mark 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass,[/b] till all these things be done.

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

When Jesus stood before the High Priest and his court just before his execution, he was asked if he was the one (promised messiah). He is said to have replied with this beauty:

And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Mark 14:62)

Jesus sent out his Disciples to preach and he predicted the hardships they would have to endure. To encourage them in their mission, he comforted them with these words:

"But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come." (Matthew 10:23)

I am told that I cannot understand the word of God unless I have the spirit of God to lead me and probably because I can't read, but these seem pretty straightforward to me. In fact, I still have not see one rebuttal to the few scriptures I have provided so far, yet my opinions are simply categorically discarded because I am not part of some inner circle. LOL
um I guess you didnt read my link where I posted where one can read my previous discussion on this? You are giving a preterist view of the scriputure..check out this..it sums up my beliefs..Pre-Trib Research Center: Matthew 24 and "This Generation"

Old 05-17-2008, 07:02 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I really have to agree with the passages that yydanay515 posted. It seems very straightforward and clearly states that the people that Jesus is addressing are those who are living during his own lifetime and the fact that his return will happen before their death. Obviously that didn't happen.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:06 AM

What Jesus is saying is that the generation that sees the beginning of the end, also sees its end. When the signs come, they will proceed quickly; they will not drag on for many generations. It will happen within a generation. . . . The tradition reflected in Revelation shows that the consummation comes very quickly once it comes. . . . Nonetheless, in the discourse's prophetic context, the remark comes after making comments about the nearness of the end to certain signs. As such it is the issue of the signs that controls the passage's force, making this view likely. If this view is correct, Jesus says that when the signs of the beginning of the end come, then the end will come relatively quickly, within a generation. Dr. Darrell Bock

Old 05-17-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
um I guess you didnt read my link where I posted where one can read my previous discussion on this? You are giving a preterist view of the scriputure..check out this..it sums up my beliefs..Pre-Trib Research Center: Matthew 24 and "This Generation"
I just read through your link and THIS portion is where the whole thing falters and where many Christians falter.

Quote:
Since "all these things" did not take place in the first century then the generation that Christ speaks of must be future.

The underlying assumption here is built around a circular argument. Jesus is someone divine and because he is someone divine he knows the future. Going from there, it is assumed that his predictions are accurate and because the predictions did not come to pass in the generation they were supposed to be fulfilled then we have to assume he meant some other generation. The whole premise is faulty. Christians have to keep moving the goal posts to accommodate their views.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I just read through your link and THIS portion is where the whole thing falters and where many Christians falter.

The underlying assumption here is built around a circular argument. Jesus is someone divine and because he is someone divine he knows the future. Going from there, it is assumed that his predictions are accurate and because the predictions did not come to pass in the generation they were supposed to be fulfilled then we have to assume he meant some other generation. The whole premise is faulty. Christians have to keep moving the goal posts to accommodate their views.
actually you are correct that there have been faulty predictions by some, but only in last 50 years has it been possible to see Bible prophecy take place, meaning 1 Israel as a state 2 the rise of one world government 3 Israel as stumbling block for the world..etc.
If one would do a study of Daniel, Matthew and Revelation, the pieces of the puzzle are there...it just takes some time to study it and being led by the spirit to make the pieces fit.

What we (as Christians) do is try and put God in a time frame, thats the premise that is faulty. But Jesus said But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Matt 24:36-41

Old 05-17-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
actually you are correct that there have been faulty predictions by some, but only in last 50 years has it been possible to see Bible prophecy take place, meaning 1 Israel as a state 2 the rise of one world government 3 Israel as stumbling block for the world..etc.
If one would do a study of Daniel, Matthew and Revelation, the pieces of the puzzle are there...it just takes some time to study it and being led by the spirit to make the pieces fit.
Um...arguy, trust me when I tell you I studied all those book for years to the point of nausea. I KNOW all the bible-speak in regards to them.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:19 AM

So let me ask you Arguy and others on your level, when Jesus sent his Disciples out to preach and told them they would not finish preaching through Israel before he returns, how exactly can you guys spin this to mean something else other than what it states?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Um...arguy, trust me when I tell you I studied all those book for years to the point of nausea. I KNOW all the bible-speak in regards to them.
So if you studied them, what do you get out of them concerning bible prophecy? surely one couldnt have studied them to great links and not see the link between what is happening now and what the bible says.
Some Christains hold the same views as you do though. Preterist and maybe others Idk. Thats okay. It wont change what I believe and see from reading the bible and seeing what is happening in world events.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
So let me ask you Arguy and others on your level, when Jesus sent his Disciples out to preach and told them they would not finish preaching through Israel before he returns, how exactly can you guys spin this to mean something else other than what it states?
which verse are you referring too? im at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality