Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:24 AM

553 posts, read 566,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
which verse are you referring too? im at work
Check Matthew chapter 10:5-23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,731,417 times
i dont have time to personally type everything I think so..
Preterism Answered - Matthew 10:23

Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
i dont have time to personally type everything I think so..
Preterism Answered - Matthew 10:23
That's not a problem my friend, but of course you know it will take some time for me to read these links throughly. Let me hasten to add though, I am not a preterist who holds any ideas that the signs occurred prior to A.D 70 and then Jesus somehow came back or set up a kingdom in that year if that is what they believe. I don't even believe Jesus made all of those predictions, if any at all, and such words were placed in his mouth by those who wanted to build his credibility as some divine character.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
That's not a problem my friend, but of course you know it will take some time for me to read these links throughly. Let me hasten to add though, I am not a preterist who holds any ideas that the signs occurred prior to A.D 70 and then Jesus somehow came back or set up a kingdom in that year if that is what they believe. I don't even believe Jesus made all of those predictions, if any at all, and such words were placed in his mouth by those who wanted to build his credibility as some divine character.
thats okay I respect your belief or non-belief, but what I would find strange about what Jesus and the bible said(if i wasnt a Christian) was the fact that things talked about in the bible 1900 years ago and before are starting to happen. (IMHO anyway)

Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
thats okay I respect your belief or non-belief, but what I would find strange about what Jesus and the bible said(if i wasnt a Christian) was the fact that things talked about in the bible 1900 years ago and before are starting to happen. (IMHO anyway)
Take another look again. Some of the signs are very vague and very vague leaves room for very liberal interpretations, the Book of Revelation being a prime example. Other signs are not really signs at all because they have been going on since time began, things like earthquakes, pestilences, famines, etc.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Take another look again. Some of the signs are very vague and very vague leaves room for very liberal interpretations, the Book of Revelation being a prime example. Other signs are not really signs at all because they have been going on since time began, things like earthquakes, pestilences, famines, etc.
what about the rebirth of Israel..is that just coincidence then? How about China for the first time being able to field a 2-million man army? **im not asking in a Im right ur wrong fashion im just asking because I know what I believe but I dont expect everyone else to.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
what about the rebirth of Israel..is that just coincidence then? How about China for the first time being able to field a 2-million man army? **im not asking in a Im right ur wrong fashion im just asking because I know what I believe but I dont expect everyone else to.

Again, the passages that seem to support these things are very vague and open to all kinds of interpretation.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,597,842 times
Quote:
For starters here are some words attributed to Jesus and they will prove to be good examples of read and still not see.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Mark 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass,[/b] till all these things be done.

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

When Jesus stood before the High Priest and his court just before his execution, he was asked if he was the one (promised messiah). He is said to have replied with this beauty:

And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Mark 14:62)

Jesus sent out his Disciples to preach and he predicted the hardships they would have to endure. To encourage them in their mission, he comforted them with these words:

"But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come." (Matthew 10:23)

I am told that I cannot understand the word of God unless I have the spirit of God to lead me and probably because I can't read, but these seem pretty straightforward to me. In fact, I still have not see one rebuttal to the few scriptures I have provided so far, yet my opinions are simply categorically discarded because I am not part of some inner circle. LOL
You're not being discarded....you just have not proven anything except you don't understand the scriptures because you aren't saved. You referred to scriptures and your own personal interpretation of them, but until this post you have not actually quoted any scriptures.

Ok....Jesus was referring to this "generation" as the world and it's people. He was not referring to any specific people or the people just within the sound of his voice. "Until all things have been fulfilled" refers to all the Biblical prophecy that has to take place first before His coming that is referenced in Revelation.

What Jesus was saying to those around Him pertained to all "generations"....not just them. He will be sitting at the right hand of God, He will come in the clouds to collect His own, but not until all Biblical prophecy mentioned in the Bible that has to happen has "been fulfilled" before He does come again.

He was not just talking to or about the disciples that were there with Him when He spoke to them of persecution. He was speaking of them and all to come throughout the "generations" who will be persecuted for believing in Him....just simply for being a Christian and preaching the gospel. Christians will continue to suffer persecution (you are doing it right now) until Jesus' return. Those who endure that persecution will be greatly rewarded.

If you go back to the scriptures you quoted and look at them in the context of which I just said, you will hopefully see that there is no proof that Jesus was absolutely or definitely speaking about that "generation" at that particular time. I previously told you that you have to be in the Spirit to truly understand scripture, and I still stand by that. You see what you want to see....not what God intended for you to see.

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 05-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Wasn't finished

Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 AM

a further study into "this generation"
http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/generation.shtml

Old 05-17-2008, 09:56 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,597,697 times
arguy1973 wrote:
Quote:
which verse are you referring too? im at work
So you're being paid while you're posting on the forum when you're supposed to be working? I have to admit I've done the same thing a few times although I try not to. Sometimes I just can't wait to see what responses I've gotten when I think I've made a pretty good post so I'll log onto the forum and quickly check it out during my work hours. I work from home so nobody's watching me but I feel a little guilty when I do that. I'm sure we're not the only ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality