Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 10:21 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's not an either/or situation. There are pros and cons to thinking we are all alike. In some ways we are more alike, in other ways we are not very much alike at all.
LOL Everyone knows we're all different. We hear and see that all day long, where ever we go. Blah blah blah. It takes zero intelligence to go down that path, and even the most primitive around us - like the political foaming-at-the-mouth types - can engage in that.

Thankfully though, there are some here paying attention, and aware of the other side of the coin. It may be completely confusing to you, and you can revel in your limited fixation and misanthropy, but we will continue to forge on despite people like you, trying to throw a cold and divisive shadow over everyone, and even life itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 10:42 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL Everyone knows we're all different. We hear and see that all day long, where ever we go. Blah blah blah. It takes zero intelligence to go down that path, and even the most primitive around us - like the political foaming-at-the-mouth types - can engage in that.

Thankfully though, there are some here paying attention, and aware of the other side of the coin. It may be completely confusing to you, and you can revel in your limited fixation and misanthropy, but we will continue to forge on despite people like you, trying to throw a cold and divisive shadow over everyone, and even life itself.
This post points out exactly why we can't say it's unity because we are all one. Low blow insults are not unity.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:44 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Well, you like pointing out how different we are, so there you go. That should have been music to your ears.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Well, you like pointing out how different we are, so there you go. That should have been music to your ears.
I'm just saying that you made my point, not that you agree with me.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
This post points out exactly why we can't say it's unity because we are all one. Low blow insults are not unity.
You are confusing the underlying fact that we are all the same creature with our conscious acceptance or acknowledgment of it. QB is encouraging us to focus on conscious acceptance of our unity, not declaring it is a fait accompli.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are confusing the underlying fact that we are all the same creature with our conscious acceptance or acknowledgment of it. QB is encouraging us to focus on conscious acceptance of our unity, not declaring it is a fait accompli.
Which is what I've also stated in several posts above.

My point is that on a scale of 1-10, I don't think we -- as mankind -- are anywhere near as far along as QB thinks we are and as I wish we were.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:56 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
There is more that unifies us.

Almost all of us no matter our religion or lack there of want inalienable rights, freedom, order, and peace. To live our lives without true oppression. Almost all of us believe in charity.

We all have that warm blood flowing through us, that heart beating that wants a better life for our child, our brain firing wanting to do more, our hands that can get tired, but willing to do more.

Division, blood, and salacious scandals sell in the news...there is no "war on atheists" or "war on Christians" inside the US. Small differences are blown up to get clicks. Extreme examples of the fringe are painted as the mainstream.

I will love and serve all people of all faiths or lack there of. I hope you all feel the same way too.

So...focus on what unites us and what connects us. The "war" is in our heads' imagination, but can seep into our thoughts and actions...poisoning them. Be pure.
I like it, and I am with you all the way...

Problem for me, however, I've always been a "news junkie" as well. I try my best to avoid all the sensationalism and tabloid type of nonsense. I just try to stay informed about the world I live in at the local, state, national and international level. That's how and why this want to feel we are all unified and wanting of the same things begins to diminish a fair amount for me. I have those hopes and dreams, but realistically speaking, it's impossible not to see how different we all are and all we don't see the same way.

I don't believe I am the cause of these divisions or blood getting spilled. Any of these wars, but they are not "fringe" issues! They are not fabricated or exaggerated by mainstream media as much as they are true problems that are causing many people to suffer.

My opinion is that it's more important to recognize these differences, their significance and properly address them. Denying or minimizing them simply makes matters worse, and perpetuates them will into the future. Some things people get wound up about are silly. True, but there are just too many serious issues and divisions impossible to ignore that really need to be better addressed if the progress needed is to be realized.

Hoping or preaching that everyone join hands to promote harmony just doesn't seem to get us very far is all. Much as I would love to think so!

Sorry if I'm not simply appreciating the nice sentiments expressed in your loving OP. I do sincerely appreciate those sentiments, but this business about "war" being in our imagination, is a stretch a bit too far for my imagination. Reality is what I think seeps into my thoughts and actions, but what's important is to be open-eyed and aware of our problems without letting them "poison" us. My opinion anyway. To discuss our differences like adults. Not ignore them or pretend they don't exist.

Thanks for your thread and this opportunity to comment as I sign off now. Looking forward to revisiting this thread if/when time allows tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here's perhaps a quote more on the positive note I know you are trying to promote...

"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-16-2021 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-16-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
One more comment, because you remind me of a thought that often comes to mind about this sort of thing...

The problem is that the people who MOST need to consider acceptance or acknowledgement of what QB is encouraging are NOT the sort of people who are inclined to do any such thing. Not us. How many times have I watched a program I only WISHED the people who need to hear the same thing would pay attention to!?!

We need to bridge those significant divides with something a little more effective than wishful thinking. Something other than "preaching to the choir."

Old 09-16-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Which is what I've also stated in several posts above.

My point is that on a scale of 1-10, I don't think we -- as mankind -- are anywhere near as far along as QB thinks we are and as I wish we were.
Never have been and may never will be, because too many people are not REALLY paying attention to what is going on around us. Let alone doing anything to REALLY correct the wrong doing. Here's to those who really are!

Old 09-16-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Never have been and may never will be, because too many people are not REALLY paying attention to what is going on around us. Let alone doing anything to REALLY correct the wrong doing. Here's to those who really are!
I had a personal rule when I would visit (or lived in) Thailand, and it's a good rule, providing one is very cautious: I will talk to anyone who wants to talk to me unless or until I suspect they have ulterior motives. Most of the time it worked well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality