Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 06:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Well if we are both at dead ends moving in opposite directions, there is a good chance we are headed towards each other.
Some people choose to stop when they see converging lines of logic that support "we are the problem" and not "They are the problem."

The answer looks like its between a "deity" and "I don't have to say anything". Its something, I just don't know what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 04:01 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
We are all human beings. And this little speck of a planet is the only place in a unimaginably large universe where we exist. Understanding that should be reason enough to be unified.
Not necessarily. If the universe (not just the observable universe) is truly infinite in scope, or even just large enough, then because there are only a finite number of ways in which matter can form, things would have to start repeating. This means that in a large enough universe there would have to be copies of us. And in an infinitely large universe there would have to be an infinite number of copies of us. Both exact and near exact and not so exact copies of us.

At any rate, the human race will never be unified. Just because we are all biologically human doesn't make us all one.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:14 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Not necessarily. If the universe (not just the observable universe) is truly infinite in scope, or even just large enough, then because there are only a finite number of ways in which matter can form, things would have to start repeating. This means that in a large enough universe there would have to be copies of us. And in an infinitely large universe there would have to be an infinite number of copies of us. Both exact and near exact and not so exact copies of us.

At any rate, the human race will never be unified. Just because we are all biologically human doesn't make us all one.
I don't read space article (is that what they are even called). I thought we had already identified plants within the goldilocks zone like the earth.

What do you think "being at one" looks like? I'm thinking it means we are able to put the labels behind the humanity instead how labels get put in front of it and then we assume that person either doesn't have any humanity or has a crappy one.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:24 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't read space article (is that what they are even called). I thought we had already identified plants within the goldilocks zone like the earth.
Those would be articles dealing with astronomy. If I'm understanding you correctly, no, we haven't yet discovered life, either plant or animal life on any of the exoplanets, nor on any of the planets in our own solar system. But in time . . .

Quote:
What do you think "being at one" looks like? I'm thinking it means we are able to put the labels behind the humanity instead how labels get put in front of it and then we assume that person either doesn't have any humanity or has a crappy one.
What do I think ''being at one'' looks like? I have no idea, but I do know that the human race is not 'at one.' And I have no desire to be 'at one' with those who live to harm and victimize others.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:44 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Those would be articles dealing with astronomy. If I'm understanding you correctly, no, we haven't yet discovered life, either plant or animal life on any of the exoplanets, nor on any of the planets in our own solar system. But in time . . .

What do I think ''being at one'' looks like? I have no idea, but I do know that the human race is not 'at one.' And I have no desire to be 'at one' with those who live to harm and victimize others.
In order to believe it's possible you'd first have to conceive of it, yeah.

HAHA that's funny coming from an atheist. I crack myself up.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:20 PM

If the belief can be linked back to what we observe and make predictions, there is nothing wrong with it.

We do need more than "My religion says [this]" and "I don't believe you" tho. And "I don't have to make a claim" is joke.
And "Unity in atheism to fight religion" is just as good (reliable) as any religion.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:31 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"Size" is an issue. Not that we are acting more like a unit than not. Thats what the science points to anyway.
Leave it to you to thoroughly muddy the water. Way to go.........NOT!

Old 10-05-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Leave it to you to thoroughly muddy the water. Way to go.........NOT!
lmao. Yeah, People with agenda's and want us to think what they do often whip out "muddy waters" and "straw manning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miM22yylXTY

Old 10-05-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's a nice sentiment. But I don't see it as true. First of all, we're not all christians. Some of us are atheists, and/or Buddhist, or Hindu, or...

But even among chrsitians there is a disdain for going to any church but their own.
so what ...

the fact is we are in a system acting more like a unit than isolated pieces. It doesn't matter how you feel about some wacky people. oh wait, that's all you care about ... my bad, carry on.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:13 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,608 times
[quote=Arach Angle;62056686]lmao. Yeah, People with agenda's and want us to think what they do often whip out "muddy waters" and "straw manning".

[{/quote]Do you know ANYONE without an agenda. We all do.

I'll offer terms. You stay off of my posts and I'll stay off of yours. Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality