U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-16-2008, 04:31 AM

2,633 posts, read 2,959,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Is that how you interpreted it though?
Thats pretty much the feeling I got from Ibedavid's choice of quotes. Specially 4, 7 and 8. The torments of hell? Atheist dying is horrific compared to a theist dying? please

I really want to know what the purpose of this thread is. In English analysis we have pee(Point Explain Evidence). You make a point, bring in evidence(ie the quotes) and explain how the point compliments the evidence. No point and no explanation here leading me to believe this was done not with the intention of starting a discussion but rather to get inflammatory responses

Quote:
Because I didn't. I mean just because people mention hell, heaven etcetera on their death bed isn't convincing me they're having a conversion or an epiphany. Sounds more like their system is shutting down, they're in pain and suffering and they use all kinds of language in their delirium which could be interpreted as going to god or just using the language they're familiar with.
It doesn't even have to be that far into their deathbed. You are in the hospital, given the horrible news that you will die in 6 months. Atheist or not, at one point you will(briefly or otherwise) consider other choices.

Quote:
I'd be no more convinced of a religious conversion from those quotes in those circumstances than I would someone screaming for satan and writhing around being considered posessed. It's all filtered through the eye and belief system of the beholder I think, because no one's come back and confirmed one way or the other have they?
very true
Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-16-2008, 05:36 AM

7,917 posts, read 10,460,453 times
Those are some of the lamest quotes I've ever heard. This is more comical than serious.

Unread 05-16-2008, 05:44 AM

553 posts, read 87,274 times
Ohhhhh....so that is where that evangelist used to get those stories from during his altar call when I was a little boy? Pure unadulterated crapola.

And who mentioned trolling? Man up! Unbelievers don't cry foul like that? Leave that to the other guys.

Unread 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM

3,791 posts, read 7,603,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
I had a friend who, while in a coma, saw demons and angels fighting over him for his soul...
That certainly explains the appeal of religion to the comatose masses.

Unread 05-16-2008, 09:30 AM

7,051 posts, read 12,689,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Death is literally the last thing I have to worry about.
Yeah, but at least Atheist go out saying some coolass****. If you can remember, and quote, the last words of an Atheist then that is true immortality.

Unread 05-16-2008, 09:31 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,556,674 times
b. frank: "Give me opium that I may not think of this nonsensical rhetoric."

Unread 05-16-2008, 10:16 AM

4,983 posts, read 4,809,067 times
I welcome death, bring it on....

Unread 05-16-2008, 11:06 AM

2,361 posts, read 4,210,768 times
This is a joke???

I love how many people on here assume Christianity is the "answer" to atheism. There are many other religions out there, open your minds.

Unread 05-16-2008, 11:09 AM

425 posts, read 939,388 times
Yea another reason not to Christianity belive

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. (Albert Einstein)

Unread 05-16-2008, 11:27 AM

545 posts, read 1,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Death is literally the last thing I have to worry about.
REPLY: Only if there isnt an afterlife , which millions have testified there is based on N.D.E.'s ; and Jesus...the worlds foremost teacher on morals and ethics...said theres not only an afterlife, but he will be mankinds final Judge. For the unrepentant, death is only the beginning of things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality