U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2008, 05:41 PM

3,603 posts, read 2,813,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post

Christians arent out to 'scare people into believing in thier Faith' ; what do you think we gain from doing so ; a commision check on the last Friday of each month from Heaven ?! What you fail to realize is that you are heading for a very regretful end ; I tell you this because Jesus Christ, the worlds best teacher on moral and ethics and in whom no sin could be found, said unless you stop distancing yourself from God and his free mercy and forgiveness in Christ, you will suffer for that eternal crime. Implying Jesus Christ is a big Liar and Fraud is indeed, very risky with immense implications.
It's just as likely that Christians could be heading for such a 'regretful' end because they didn't spend their lives worshipping the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM

5,162 posts, read 5,661,269 times
Quote:
Implying Jesus Christ is a big Liar and Fraud is indeed, very risky with immense implications.
I'm not implying he is a liar. I'm implying the fiction writers who made him up are.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,189,087 times
science be dammed! How many centuries are we gonna have to wait before all those theists(looking at you Ibedavid) get with the times and realize that pascals wager is an illogical dead end.

Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

most important:

-Assumes that the correct god is worshiped

-Assumes God rewards belief

Assuming the god of the religion that the person doing the threat is the correct one and forgetting the possibility of a god who rewards nonbelief or/and punishes belief is the only way to hold the argument together.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 477 times
I'm going to convert to Satanism on my deathbed to send a message to all of the deluded Xtians in my family. They will think I'm crazy, but they will actually be the crazy ones.
There is no such thing as God (none of the them BTW) or Satan. So why not convert to Satanism just to prove a point? xD

Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 AM

7,783 posts, read 4,698,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post

It doesn't even have to be that far into their deathbed. You are in the hospital, given the horrible news that you will die in 6 months. Atheist or not, at one point you will(briefly or otherwise) consider other choices.

What a stupid claim.

I'm an atheist, I already know that my death is inevitable, yet that doesn't incline me to believe in your favorite fairy tale in the least.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 AM

21,001 posts, read 11,891,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is if not just for the sake of trolling. Its true that many conversions happen when people are on their death beds. So what? Dying, specially slowly is a very scary thing for anyone even if they themselves feel sure about what happens in the afterlife. It is not even in the least bit surprising that many people will have conversions in their deathbed.

Thats where it ends though. Looking at a list of people who converted out of fear does not make the religion any more valid. Is fear the right reason for anything? Should I half-arsedly pretend to believe until I die just in case? Wouldn't god know that I'm not being true to myself?

Or is there anyone in the entire world who actually thinks that fear is an effective way to convert people?
Great post.

"""Or is there anyone in the entire world who actually thinks that fear is an effective way to convert people?"""

Yes, many religions use fear to convert people.....and not just christians.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Published in the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 'News and Sun Sentinnel'
newspaper . 1968. :

Verbatim quotes by famous Atheists on their deathbeds ---

1. Sir Walter Scott : " Now i know there is a heaven"

2. Taleran (french) :" I am suffering the pangs of the damned"

3. Adams : (tore his hair out as he repeatedly said ):" Oh Christ, oh
Christ, Oh Christ...."

4. Voltaire :" I die abandoned by God and man" (the nurse by his bedside
said that she would never watch another atheist die as long as she lived
because it was too horrific for her)

5. Vollney kept screaming out :" My God my God, my God...." till he
died)

6. Meravue :" Give me opium that i may not think of eternity"

7. Brown :" Devils are in the room dragging my soul to hell"

8. Newport :" Millions and millions of years will bring me no closer to
the end of my torments. O, the unsufferable pains of hell, forever and
forever".
3. Adams : (tore his hair out as he repeatedly said ):" Oh Christ, oh
Christ, Oh Christ...."

5. Vollney kept screaming out :" My God my God, my God...."

Yup, in my younger days I was yelling that, too.....had nothing to do with death,god, or redemption...

Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM

6,478 posts, read 5,099,623 times
Is everybody aware that post #34 revived a thread that had been dormant for 4-1/2 years?

That may be a new city-data record!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Is everybody aware that post #34 revived a thread that had been dormant for 4-1/2 years?

That may be a new city-data record!
That doesn't matter...threads can be revived......and the topic of oppression of one group over another is always timely.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,128,849 times
Quote:
REPLY:
Christians arent out to 'scare people into believing in thier Faith' ; what do you think we gain from doing so ; a commision check on the last Friday of each month from Heaven ?! What you fail to realize is that you are heading for a very regretful end ; I tell you this because Jesus Christ, the worlds best teacher on moral and ethics and in whom no sin could be found, said unless you stop distancing yourself from God and his free mercy and forgiveness in Christ, you will suffer for that eternal crime. Implying Jesus Christ is a big Liar and Fraud is indeed, very risky with immense implications.
If he's not implying that Jesus is a big Liar, I am. The New Testament is riddled with the lies of Jesus. I am no more worried about any "immense implications" than I am worried about being attacked by a vampire. Your threats are meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality