Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 12:36 PM

150 posts, read 155,657 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was wondering if I can find any similarities about the Sodom & Gomorrah story between the Quran & Christian scriptures. In the Quran it says that even though his wife did not commit any gay act, God still destroyed her because she was verbally very supportive of LGBT. She used to side with the homosexuals and even worked as a spy for them against her husband.

Here’s the Quranic story: God sent a couple very handsome angels to Prophet Lot’s house to test the people of Sodom & Gommorah. His wife then spread the word about them throughout the town. The lustful men came running to Prophet Lot’s house to fulfill their desires. After they came to his house, Prophet Lot said, if you are interested, you may marry my virgin daughters. The men replied “Don’t be silly, you know we aren’t interested in them. And you know why we are here.” They wanted to have sex with the angels who were disguised as handsome men. Prophet Lot asked them to stop looking at men with lust and forbade them from having sex as God commanded. They did not listen.

God commanded Prophet Lot and his family to leave the city. God then destroyed the city and his wife. He destroyed his wife as well because she was an ally for the homosexuals. Is that similar to what it says in Christian scriptures ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 12:55 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hi

I was wondering if I can find any similarities about the Sodom & Gomorrah story between the Quran & Christian scriptures. In the Quran it says that even though his wife did not commit any gay act, God still destroyed her because she was verbally very supportive of LGBT. She used to side with the homosexuals and even worked as a spy for them against her husband.

Here’s the Quranic story: God sent a couple very handsome angels to Prophet Lot’s house to test the people of Sodom & Gommorah. His wife then spread the word about them throughout the town. The lustful men came running to Prophet Lot’s house to fulfill their desires. After they came to his house, Prophet Lot said, if you are interested, you may marry my virgin daughters. The men replied “Don’t be silly, you know we aren’t interested in them. And you know why we are here.” They wanted to have sex with the angels who were disguised as handsome men. Prophet Lot asked them to stop looking at men with lust and forbade them from having sex as God commanded. They did not listen.

God commanded Prophet Lot and his family to leave the city. God then destroyed the city and his wife. He destroyed his wife as well because she was an ally for the homosexuals. Is that similar to what it says in Christian scriptures ?
Ummm...not...quite...

Why not read the story of Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah in a Christian bible for yourself?

Old 04-06-2022, 01:12 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
The Quran provides an interesting perspective on the Lot narrative. As a Christian, I couldn't say how believable it is...

The Biblical narrative doesn't really provide any background on Lot's wife. It does describe the angelic visitors and the mob of men who wanted to rape them, but it doesn't say anything about Lot's wife having a role in that.

The Biblical narrative is found in Genesis, chapter 19. While fleeing the city, Lot is commanded by the angels not to look back at the city while it was being destroyed. His wife disobeyed and looked back and was turned into a pillar of salt.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Ummm...not...quite...

Why not read the story of Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah in a Christian bible for yourself?
I tried to read some passages but it’s very hard for me to understand because it’s written in old fashion English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The Quran provides an interesting perspective on the Lot narrative. As a Christian, I couldn't say how believable it is...

The Biblical narrative doesn't really provide any background on Lot's wife. It does describe the angelic visitors and the mob of men who wanted to rape them, but it doesn't say anything about Lot's wife having a role in that.

The Biblical narrative is found in Genesis, chapter 19. While fleeing the city, Lot is commanded by the angels not to look back at the city while it was being destroyed. His wife disobeyed and looked back and was turned into a pillar of salt.
So the Christian scriptures do not say that Prophet Lot’s wife supported homosexuals ? As far as my understanding goes, the Quran she was the one who informed the people of Sodom & Gomorrah about the “handsome men” in Prophet Lot’s house.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:55 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
So the Christian scriptures do not say that Prophet Lot’s wife supported homosexuals ? As far as my understanding goes, the Quran she was the one who informed the people of Sodom & Gomorrah about the “handsome men” in Prophet Lot’s house.
The Christian narrative is silent on that as it is not very detailed.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I tried to read some passages but it’s very hard for me to understand because it’s written in old fashion English.
Lots of Bibles these days aren't printed in "old fashioned English". Yes, you'll find some that have the old fashioned words.

Try usccb.org. Pretty straight-forward.

Quote:
Again, try to read the Christian scriptures. Doesn't say anything you're promoting.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Lots of Bibles these days aren't printed in "old fashioned English". Yes, you'll find some that have the old fashioned words.

Try usccb.org. Pretty straight-forward.

Again, try to read the Christian scriptures. Doesn't say anything you're promoting.
Reread my post Moderator cut: name-calling. I said the Quran said that

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-06-2022 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Don't call people names.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:21 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
The demise of Lot's wife was necessary to move the story to its conclusion. The point of the S&G story is the punch line found in Genesis 19:36-38.

Quote:
36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i] of today.
In other words, "our enemies the Moabites and Ammonites are descended from a couple of inbred and illegitimate men."

The drunken copulation between father and daughter would not have occurred if the wife were with them, and they would have not been isolated in the mountains had Sodom and Gomorrah not been destroyed. The earlier parts of the story are plot devices to move the story to its conclusion.

The pillar-of-salt part was probably inspired by Dead Sea formations like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/kSRAQPFYs2iF27Cj7

Old 04-06-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Ummm...not...quite...

Quote:
Quote:
Reread my post Moderator cut: deleted. I said the Quran said that
Hey, sweetie, I can only go by what you wrote. I suggested that you read the story in a CHRISTIAN bible. You responded by saying that you "tried to read some passages, but it's very hard for 'you' to understand...

...which tells me, that you already TRIED to read the passages from a CHRISTIAN bible. You did NOT say that the Quran was "hard to understand".

Would love to know in your Quaran where it says to call people <names> when they're trying to HELP you, based on what YOU say...

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-06-2022 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-06-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The demise of Lot's wife was necessary to move the story to its conclusion. The point of the S&G story is the punch line found in Genesis 19:36-38.

In other words, "our enemies the Moabites and Ammonites are descended from a couple of inbred and illegitimate men."

The drunken copulation between father and daughter would not have occurred if the wife were with them, and they would have not been isolated in the mountains had Sodom and Gomorrah not been destroyed. The earlier parts of the story are plot devices to move the story to its conclusion.

The pillar-of-salt part was probably inspired by Dead Sea formations like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/kSRAQPFYs2iF27Cj7
I see. The Quran doesn’t mention anything about the incest between Prophet Lot and incest with his daughters. We consider this a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality