Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 01:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Very simple -- but probably too complex for you -- my profession dealt with people from around the world both religiously and geographically (since we had an ESL center that had kids from 55 countries over time). If the kids and parents were Hindu, I respected their cultural decisions by staying in my own lane. If the kids and parents were Muslims, I respected their cultural decisions by staying in my own lane. If the kids and parents were Jewish, I respected their cultural decisions by staying in my own lane. If the kids and parents were Buddhist, I respected their cultural decisions by staying in my own lane.

If a student invited me to a Buddhist festival or observance, I went. If I was invited to a Jewish event, I went. If I was invited to a Christian event (under the right circumstances*), I went. If I was invited to a Ramadan celebration, I went. And so forth. Because, the invitations I received were about their cultural events and celebrations...not mine.

One day a group of Jewish parents made an appointment with me. One opened the meeting by asking if I was Jewish. I said no and asked why she thought that. "Because you're the first school official or teacher who ever respected our religion". I asked what she meant by that. (Paraphrased), "Well, the school district has a policy that exams and other major class activities are not supposed to take place on Jewish holy days due to our kids often being absent then. But the teachers do it anyways, and the other principals just look the other way. It's very disrespectful, particularly when winter break just happens to occur at christmas, and spring break just happens to occur at easter".

It ought to be about respect for other cultures, not cultural dominance.

* When I say under the right circumstances, I mean an invitation to join a celebration, not with the intent to proselytize.
All of those should have reveled in and extolled their preferred Theological way...to the fullest extent they were able.
And showed respect to the others for their preferences, but dealt with anyone giving them any flack about what they preferred...to the fullest extent they were able.
Let "Natural Selection" and "Survival of the Fittest" sort it out from there.
I believe that to be objectively superior to any other way.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:31 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
There ya go! Why shouldn't they?
I deem that the "best" and "right" way.
Everyone wants things to be the way they'd prefer them....Theologicaly as well. So......
Not everyone believes that others must think they way they do. I don't need someone else to be an atheist.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
These days, everyone's a legend in their own mind.
How so?

Old 04-18-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
No, actually you don't. Because when we tell you what we really think, what do you do? You go off on another rant.

You're not even on this forum for the right purpose. You're here simply to stir the pot and be entertained, and you've said that repeatedly.
Yeah...as if the Atheists asking the same mocking questions for the umpteenth time, and after getting the same answers/reasons/explanations, just levying insults and asking again...are "here for the right purpose".
How about if every time you told or explained how you conducted yourself in your job, it was demanded you provide "objective evidence & proof" that's the "right" way to be?

Old 04-18-2022, 01:38 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
All of those should have reveled in and extolled their preferred Theological way...to the fullest extent they were able.
And showed respect to the others for their preferences, but dealt with anyone giving them any flack about what they preferred...to the fullest extent they were able.
Let "Natural Selection" and "Survival of the Fittest" sort it out from there.
I believe that to be objectively superior to any other way.
Apparently that's the morality of pantheism, so I reject it as evil.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Not everyone believes that others must think they way they do. I don't need someone else to be an atheist.
And if that's what you believe...then that's your preference, and the "right" way for you.
Others can have whatever preference they have...and state it just like you did yours.
Others could say the opposite of you and declare that they do want/need people to be like them.
Then, if anyone objects...let "Natural Selection" and "Survival of the Fittest" sort it out. That is how humankind has always functioned, actually. Thus all the huge militaries and offensive munitions that exist.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Apparently that's the morality of pantheism, so I reject it as evil.
Please show objective evidence of that claim, with peer-reviewed scientific studies to back it up.
If you can't...I deem you to be wrong.
So...PROVE IT.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:02 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Please show objective evidence of that claim, with peer-reviewed scientific studies to back it up.
If you can't...I deem you to be wrong.
So...PROVE IT.
I stated an opinion. I didn't state a fact.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah...as if the Atheists asking the same mocking questions for the umpteenth time, and after getting the same answers/reasons/explanations, just levying insults and asking again...are "here for the right purpose".
How about if every time you told or explained how you conducted yourself in your job, it was demanded you provide "objective evidence & proof" that's the "right" way to be?
It's too bad that's all you have gotten from these discussions.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:20 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
How so?
It was hyperbole and not directed at you or anyone in particular. You said, "Everyone deserves the chance to be the hero of their own story." And I just offered up that riff on "he's a legend in his own time". Sometimes I make weird connections. Nevermind. Just having a lot of encounters with people convinced of their rightness these days ... Phetaroi, the ultimate person in this subtopic chain, is not among them but some are trying very hard to style him in that fashion. And it is generally projection. And he's one of the least boastful people here, so it is offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality