Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:51 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,161,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
So then my question then becomes: what is the truth? Do we live the best life we can and then die and that's it (atheist's belief system)? Do we believe in God and get automatic admission into heaven (Protestant's belief system)? or do we have to believe in God AND do certain tasks to get admission into heaven (Catholic's belief system)?
I wouldn't call that an atheist's belief system. I was a Catholic before. Only one thing really changed for me after becoming an atheist: I respected my own opinions, so I am not a changed person. All that did was elevate me to a functioning level that most other Christians were at anyway. So in some ways, I am now living my best life but not because of an atheist's belief system; instead, it is because I dropped the fear of getting into heaven. Most Christians I know now don't have that fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 07:43 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
So this really makes me curious. In Christianity, it is said that all through your lifetime including the moment before death, Christ will forgive you and take you to heaven if you repent and ask for forgiveness. But what exactly does that mean? All a person has to do is feel guilty, and remorseful and confess their sins and ask forgiveness and they are forgiven? What happens if they will do it again? A person can ask for forgiveness but still commit the same act over and over again.

What you describe is called vicarious attainment or, being saved by an outside superior power (eg, Christ).

It is another development in various world religions originally, catered for very specific type of people, as path for them to achieve eternal salvation, as other religious paths didn't appeal to them or, were not accepted for reasons various, primarily, as contradicting to established religious and cultural dogma.

This concept promises certain peaceful path that can be accomplished in one lifetime vs, say, countless lifetimes of re existences or, path to Valhalla through blood and gore of war.

It is presuming that, a person, that "accepts Jesus" is self purified to the point that, he or she will NEVER again commit any wrongdoings and will stay internally pure until passage into afterlife, where it will stay pure and in bliss.

Such person will be "judged" by deity regarding the strength of the faith and purity of the "soul". Also, as a side effect, it postpones any "rewards", something, such a PURER person should not be seeking anyway, until the afterlife.

Personally, I do not accept it as a feasible way except for the chosen FEW, as in - few. Saints mostly.

Concept was once abused by the church in the form of selling indulgences, when one could buy a forgiveness from a certain sin, with established price list for various levels of sins. Similar practice is confessions, when priest "takes upon himself" your sins, while you are recommended a certain penance.

To choose this path or reject it is one's personal choice. Choices are many, they all lead to the same result eventually.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:03 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I wouldn't call that an atheist's belief system. I was a Catholic before. Only one thing really changed for me after becoming an atheist: I respected my own opinions, so I am not a changed person. All that did was elevate me to a functioning level that most other Christians were at anyway. So in some ways, I am now living my best life but not because of an atheist's belief system; instead, it is because I dropped the fear of getting into heaven. Most Christians I know now don't have that fear.
Sounds as if you are called to be one of the humble meek who will inherit (Not heaven) but inherit the Earth.
Inherit Earth as Jesus promised at Matt. 5:5 from Psalm 37:9-11.
Only people like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18 ( saints/ holy ones ) are called to Heaven.
ALL who died before Jesus died are to be resurrected to live forever here on Earth - John 3:13
Plus, what atheist does what Jesus instructed to do at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 to tell others about the good news of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) is the solution to today's problems.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:19 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
..................It is presuming that, a person, that "accepts Jesus" is self purified to the point that, he or she will NEVER again commit any wrongdoings and will stay internally pure until passage into afterlife, where it will stay pure and in bliss..........
Personally, I do not accept it as a feasible way except for the chosen FEW, as in - few. Saints mostly...........
To choose this path or reject it is one's personal choice. Choices are many, they all lead to the same result eventually.
First of all, in Scripture there is No afterlife but it's future resurrection. There is a BIG difference. - Acts 24:15
Afterlife means being more alive after death than before death. That is Not biblical.
Resurrection is for the unconscious sleeping dead on the coming Resurrection Day meaning Jesus' coming Millennium-Long day of governing over Earth for a thousand years.
Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep ' in death - John 11:11-14; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5
So, before Resurrection Day there is No pain, No bliss in death, just unconscious sleep R.I.P.

The some called to Heaven do Not have the same result as those called to be part of the humble meek who will inherit the Earth .
Those in Heaven have two (2) jobs to do according to Revelation 5:9-10 towards people living on Earth.
The humble meek will inherit the Earth. People like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18 inherit Heaven.
So, the majority of people can gain everlasting life right here on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.
As for the wicked they will be 'destroyed forever' - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-15; Psalm 92:7; 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22.
We all have the choice to ' repent ' if we don't want to 'perish' (be destroyed) - 2nd Peter 3:9

Old 05-15-2022, 06:37 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Someone made reference to the "atheist's belief system."

I am also an atheist, and I often find comments posted in this forum that tend to misrepresent what it is to be an atheist. On the other hand, someone in this forum posted this which helps to clarify what I think often needs clarification along these lines. Call this the "atheist belief system" if you need to put a label on the following...

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

I am also an atheist, and I often find comments posted in this forum that tend to misrepresent what it is to be an atheist. On the other hand, someone in this forum posted this which helps to clarify what I think often needs clarification along these lines. Call this the "atheist belief system" if you need to put a label on the following...

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.
these aint a bad set of atheist base theology. I would change these atheist commandments a bit to reflect how we can act independent of religion. You kind of focused on religion to much.

Atheist creeds should really reflect how we see the universe. The words god and religion wouldn't really crop up in the "base 10". Thus we are labeled "atheist.

Yours seems a bit religion-ist to me in that you are defining yourself through atheism. At least that what your atheist beatitudes show to me anyway.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:49 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
So this really makes me curious. In Christianity, it is said that all through your lifetime including the moment before death, Christ will forgive you and take you to heaven if you repent and ask for forgiveness. But what exactly does that mean? All a person has to do is feel guilty, and remorseful and confess their sins and ask forgiveness and they are forgiven? What happens if they will do it again? A person can ask for forgiveness but still commit the same act over and over again.
Are you not free to search for what forgiveness means in other spiritual paths? Or secular paths as in therapy?
Nobody can forgive you until you can forgive yourself and let it transform you. Make the amends you think you need to make.
Why do you need to worry about others and how they deal with their guilt or forgiveness? There is nothing that you can do about that.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:11 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Sounds as if you are called to be one of the humble meek who will inherit (Not heaven) but inherit the Earth.
Inherit Earth as Jesus promised at Matt. 5:5 from Psalm 37:9-11.
Only people like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18 ( saints/ holy ones ) are called to Heaven.
ALL who died before Jesus died are to be resurrected to live forever here on Earth - John 3:13
Plus, what atheist does what Jesus instructed to do at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 to tell others about the good news of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) is the solution to today's problems.
It sounds like a good plan because life is too short (or too long) to be living with those who don't share a similar mind.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:10 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Overall nicely done.

Written by you?

I like that many of the statements begin with "I believe", "I choose", and so forth.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:29 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
So this really makes me curious. In Christianity, it is said that all through your lifetime including the moment before death, Christ will forgive you and take you to heaven if you repent and ask for forgiveness. But what exactly does that mean?
It means there's a lot of liars out there.

That paradigm did not exist prior to the 1990s. It followed the born-again thing which arose in the mid-1970s.

In other words, believers were not taught that for almost 2,000 years.

Put another way, for nearly 2,000 years it was all hell-fire and brimstone.

Well, you know, threatening people doesn't really work.

As church attendance and religiosity started to decline, the snake oil salesmen came up with something new in the 1970s.

Now, instead of hell-fire and brimstone, you just had to be "born-again" to be saved.

That had an impact in the South, but not so much in the rest of the US.

As church attendance continued to decline and Atheists started become more visible (and more vocal) they came up with the "you just have to believe to be 'saved'" thing in an attempt to fill the pews.

It's anyone's guess as to what the snake oil salesmen will come up with next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality