Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 04:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If you hate what is hateful then you are hateful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This will help explain:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63316053-post2045.html

I do not lead...I counter.
I am not on offense...I'm on defense.

If I see someone tying to violently mug someone...and I rush in and whoop-up on them to prevent them from doing that..that is not me initiating violence on them, I am countering and defending.
It's the opposite of what they were doing...even though my counter was also physical.
You all understand this...you just pretend you don't.
Quote:
No.

No, huh?
By your logic...people who hate racism, Anti-Semitism, Supremacy, Xenophobia, etc...are hateful people for that.

I find that reasoning and view to be far outside of good sense...but you can think that if it suits you.

Old 04-23-2022, 04:56 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I know how to read Mightyqueen, even manage spell sometimes.
Entertainment is different from information, and different from discussions. Anyway it is subjective. I am sure there are those who come for help in Parenting, or Grief, or Health who look at those forums as a source for help, maybe even their only source. It might be entertainment for you it may mean something else for them.
Let us not be so sure about how people think.
Those other forums have their rules and what not, and some serious moderators. They serve a purpose whatever the original intent was.
OK, you can spell for sure, but you're still missing the point of what mensaguy said. Has nothing to do with the information or quality thereof in the non-RE forums, nor does it have anything to do with what I think. It is what the owner of the site has determined. He was being factual.

Old 04-23-2022, 04:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Hate is too strong of a word for me, not that I can't get to that point, but if I do, then my boundaries were not communicated effectively from the very beginning. There are people I work with who have said things that to me were racist, but I don't go straight into hate when dealing with it. I haven't had any problems so far.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:01 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
No, huh?
By your logic...people who hate racism, Anti-Semitism, Supremacy, Xenophobia, etc...are hateful people for that.

I find that reasoning and view to be far outside of good sense...but you can think that if it suits you.
Hate isn't going to solve those problems. Hate is going to make those problems worse.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Hate isn't going to solve those problems. Hate is going to make those problems worse.
Exactly.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:09 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, you can spell for sure, but you're still missing the point of what mensaguy said. Has nothing to do with the information or quality thereof in the non-RE forums, nor does it have anything to do with what I think. It is what the owner of the site has determined. He was being factual.
I get that. But for those who use the forum as a resource, it is a resource, so being factual is immaterial. There are people who build a community within their forums. They recall past posters with fondness. Regardless of what owner intended, what matters is how posters use it. I hardly ever use it for city data. In the rare time i have, the info is old. It is not that useful.
This is a stupid discussion over nothing. Sorry.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:21 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
hear

Grammar and spelling errors are not against TOS, but picking at them is obnoxious.

However, I am only highlighting this one because it reminded me that I had that exact error of here for hear in a short story I'd edited and rewritten a dozen times, and completely missed it until I submitted it for critique to my writers' group and someone pointed it out when they returned it to me.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Back to our regularly scheduled misunderstandings.
Eye thingk spelng and gramor misscakes are tearibal.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:59 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Essentially what you have in this thread is a couple of religionists complaining because atheists aren't staying in their own lane on this forum. And yet they don't think they should have to stay in their own lane in this forum...or in real life.

You wanna talk about insulting? How this for insulting: "If you don't believe what I believe in, you're going to hell". That's about as insulting as it gets.

You wanna get insulting? What did christians do to Joseph Smith and his followers in the 1800s?

You wanna get insulting? Ever heard of antisemitism?

You wanna get insulting? Ever heard of Black churches that got fire-bombed and torched?

You wanna get insulting? Ever heard of christian-backed slavery?

You folks are way thin-skined considering your history.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:00 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
That is wrong. It's anti-hate.
Try this again:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63316378-post17.html
Quote:
No.
Quote:
No, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Hate is too strong of a word for me, not that I can't get to that point, but if I do, then my boundaries were not communicated effectively from the very beginning. There are people I work with who have said things that to me were racist, but I don't go straight into hate when dealing with it. I haven't had any problems so far.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Exactly.
Now a "Strawman" has been added: "Solve those problems".

When I see reports of things like some hate-crime where a KKK guy shot a bunch of people in a church because he hated people of that race...I do not immediately think, "How can I solve that problem?"...because I know that there isn't anything that I could possibly do.
I immediately feel hate towards those hateful actions...it's automatic & involuntary.
In fact...I couldn't feel any other way about stuff like that.
How else could I feel? Indifference?...be cool with it?
As I think more about it...it is my view, if hateful actions like that don't raise feelings of counter-hatred in a person...then there is something really, really wrong with them.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Now a "Strawman" has been added: "Solve those problems".

When I see reports of things like some hate-crime where a KKK guy shot a bunch of people in a church because he hated people of that race...I do not immediately think, "How can I solve that problem?"...because I know that there isn't anything that I could possibly do.
I immediately feel hate towards those hateful actions...it's automatic & involuntary.
In fact...I couldn't feel any other way about stuff like that.
How else could I feel? Indifference?...be cool with it?
As I think more about it...it is my view, if hateful actions like that don't raise feelings of counter-hatred in a person...then there is something really, really wrong with them.
I never said I never hate. Like you, I hate those events that you describe. I hate murder - any kind. It is a boundary crossed that can never be undone and that is what leads to my hateful feelings. That is why I said, "not that I can't get to that point." But in my everyday interactions, it is not the first feeling I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality