Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 03:43 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the wisdom which is found in practicing a path of religion and spirituality
goes far beyond "cliche" or platitude.

of course if a mindset dismisses paths of religion and spirituality as cliche, then they are not able to see beyond a very superficial level (not going beyond the surface). The opening post topic asks readers to address that and explore it. a person can view life, events, situations, circumstances as random and superficial. or they can seek and find deeper meaning.
As many religious and spiritual rely on cliche, perhaps it is you who is not able to see beyond a very superficial level?

Quote:
so in response to the question posed by thread title, "Does suffering and adversity make sense from a religious/spiritual perspective?" my reply is yes.
Only in some cases. It also makes sense in atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 03:45 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Are the ass-whoopings of life all trying to convey a more important message from the powers that be or is suffering just a random part of life?
If it is a message from higher powers, one must ask what sin did the dinosaurs commit?

Old 05-10-2022, 05:41 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
"God is testing you." "Everything happens for a reason." "God never gives you a burden greater than you can bear." "That which does not kill you makes you stronger." I hate it when someone starts mouthing platitudes like these.

If there is a God, I'm pretty certain that he doesn't wish for us to suffer. God would never test me because since he is all knowing, he knows that I'm the kid who is always behind in her homework and if he gives me a pop quiz, I'll fail it every time. And no one has yet to give me a good spiritual reason as to why the holocaust happened. I see people laboring under a burden of suffering that is so great that they have no choice but to stumble and fall. I have been one of those people more than once in my life. Finally, that which does not kill you can make you a hopeless coward - at least for a while. That which did not kill me made me angry that it had not.

Some higher power does not hand out suffering, but life most certainly does. Some times we unknowingly do things that bring about our own suffering. Sometimes suffering arrives like a lightening bolt out of the blue - we have no idea as to why we should be subjected to such strong suffering. Karma? Fate? Or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I have worked very hard to find "redemption" in my own suffering. Until I was almost killed by 3 heating seasons in a row where I unknowingly breathed in so much carbon monoxide from a faulty home furnace that I should have died but somehow didn't, I had no idea what people who suffer traumatic brain injuries go through. Now I have been given a deep understanding of their plight. Now that I know, I volunteer for the Colorado Cross Disability Coalition and I do my best to help others like me find medical care, housing, and disability benefits from the Social Security SSDI program. If I can help just one or two or three people who have suffered the same injuries as I, then I feel that I have made my own suffering serve a higher purpose.
Nice post, thank you for sharing.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:45 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
"That which does not kill you makes you stronger."
I'm no longer a Scott Adams fan but I prefer the vintage Dilbert take on this:

"That which does not kill you makes you angry and weak."

Old 05-10-2022, 07:47 AM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Are the ass-whoopings of life all trying to convey a more important message from the powers that be or is suffering just a random part of life?
Random part of life.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:00 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As many religious and spiritual rely on cliche, perhaps it is you who is not able to see beyond a very superficial level?

I agree with you, although I would state it differently. I believe in a couple of very specific examples of "woo", based on personal experience. But I should qualify that...believe in those examples to the extent that I would say,. "Well, there's something there to at least think about". But then there's jumping at virtually anything that's "woo" and just accepting it and building a life around it...which may seem deep to the person involved, but appears to me to be very shallow thinking.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:53 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
It's my approach to suffering that matters.

If I experience physical, emotional, or spiritual suffering as punishment, or as a disruption to my agenda, then its just misery.

If suffering becomes an opportunity to reflect on my own sense of entitlement, or lack of fortitude and courage then it can be educational.
Suffering has the capacity to be redemptive if I wish it to be. In the sense that it reminds me what little control I have over anything really. And how grateful I should be for having been spared the full consequences of my actions.

Nevertheless, If given the opportunity, I'll choose the most painless route possible

I don't like pain and suffering.

Perhaps it helps me navigate through the " narrow gate "

Old 05-10-2022, 12:59 PM

I think we have to differentiate between short-term pain and chronic pain. A week ago I had a biopsy. I knew that it might be painful, but that the pain was only going to last 5-10 minutes. Similar to when I go in for a dental procedure. I can deal with that kind of short-term pain and not let it bleed over into suffering.

But I have known people who have chronic pain that gets to the point that it controls their life. That's something totally different, and I would say that's suffering.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:07 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
in many paths of religion and spirituality,
a distinction is made between pain and suffering.
that is, pain and suffering are not the same.
there is a differentiation made between pain and suffering.

understanding and identifying the difference between pain and suffering, helps a person reduce and eliminate suffering.
pain is part of life. suffering is not.
hence the saying, 'pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.'

Old 05-10-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
in many paths of religion and spirituality

pain is not the same as suffering.
there is a differentiation made between pain and suffering.
understanding and identifying the difference between pain and suffering, helps a person reduce and eliminate suffering.
pain is part of life. suffering is not.
hence the saying, 'pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.'

[a useful tool for a person to pick up and use for themself. not something to beat others over the head with.]
Just a cliché.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality