Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 07:12 AM

15,832 posts, read 6,890,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What is yours?
Tzap’s contribution is towards Buddhism is not Atheism, the topic. Why is it not clear to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Speaking for all atheist and Buddhist will be.....CB and Tz.
It is discussion about Buddhism and the concept of divinity.anyone with interest can contribute, one need only to speak for oneself. It is surprising that this needs to be stated.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:23 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,223,816 times
Your thread title belies that.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:30 AM

21,910 posts, read 19,049,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Buddhism actually does not recognize an eternal soul/atma within. Yet it believes in rebirth/reincarnation. There is no clear answer to what survives that reincarnates in Nagarjuna’s treatise on Buddhism. This is the reason Western Buddhism is a bit obscure on that issue. But there is nothing obscure in the mind of Buddhists of south asia and elsewhere who do worship that which is transcendental.
Thank you for clarifying that. I have edited my post to reflect this.

"Buddhism does say we have an essential nature that transcends conditioned or material existence. In the Mahayana, this is called buddhanature, the open expanse of awakeness."

"Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche defined Buddha Nature as: “… our fundamental nature of mind is a luminous expanse of awareness that is beyond all conceptual fabrication and completely free from the movement of thoughts. It is the union of emptiness and clarity, of space and radiant awareness that is endowed with supreme and immeasurable qualities.”

this article discusses a distinction: "Buddha Nature is not similar to the soul. (Not referring to Hindu Atman, but rather Judeo Christian soul.)" Yes, i was referring to the unchanging, universal spirit or consciousness which underlies everything.

https://buddhaweekly.com/buddha-natu...ture-not-soul/

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-04-2022 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-04-2022, 07:32 AM

16,592 posts, read 15,532,511 times
Quote:
Speaking for all atheist and Buddhist will be.....CB and Tz.
Interesting. Neither of them is an atheist or a Buddhist. The one regular we have who is a Buddhist is also an atheist. He tells us there are several basic types of Buddhism. Apparently, his type is OK with followers being atheists.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Interesting. Neither of them is an atheist or a Buddhist. The one regular we have who is a Buddhist is also an atheist. He tells us there are several basic types of Buddhism. Apparently, his type is OK with followers being atheists.
It is true i am neither. But i am interested in Buddhism and i can read, i can understand, able to find resources that are authored by scholars whose credentials i trust. That is also called research. Like the article in the link i posted. Instead of commenting on me, and my comments, what would be educational for you is to read the article and share your thoughts here. You may learn something.
The resident Buddhist Atheist in my opinion lacks both wisdom and knowledge. I am selective about my sources.
I am not sure one can be an atheist and still call himself as belonging to a religion, unless one means the culture the religion is grounded in. The very definition of religion centers around a deity/divinity, worship that is grounded in the culture. One can celebrate the culture and also be atheist. Culture is not religion, but religion, the practice of it, is grounded in its culture.
Anyway this is off topic. Best to respond to posts and not attack the poster.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:01 AM

16,596 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Former Buddhists can be atheists, Godless. But Buddhism is not without Divinity, it is not atheism. I know this is logic that is hard to grasp. But you will get there, by God’s grace.
I would rather let a Buddhist explain than someone who constantly gets even the most simple of concepts wrong.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:04 AM

21,910 posts, read 19,049,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
And within Buddhism, deities and divine beings are recognized. So Buddhism is not atheism, because atheism is a lack of belief in any deities.

"Buddhism includes a wide array of divine beings that are venerated in various ritual and popular contexts. Initially they included mainly figures such as devas, asuras and yakshas, but later came to include other spirits and local gods. Buddhist deities range from enlightened Buddhas to regional spirits."

Buddhist deities

Old 07-04-2022, 08:09 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,223,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
And within Buddhism, deities and divine beings are recognized. So Buddhism is not atheism, because atheism is a lack of belief in any deities.

"Buddhism includes a wide array of divine beings that are venerated in various ritual and popular contexts. Initially they included mainly figures such as devas, asuras and yakshas, but later came to include other spirits and local gods. Buddhist deities range from enlightened Buddhas to regional spirits."

Buddhist deities
"I don't read links"

TZ

Old 07-04-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
The gods like every other being must strive to achieve enlightenment. They are a dimension of the 6 paths of existence through which sentient beings transmigrate until they gain enlightenment and enter Nirvana. Any particular god became a god because of his good karma. Though a god might have an extremely long life compared to a human, it is determined by karma and will eventually come to an end with the rebirth of the god into another life form. This understanding differs from Indian views where the gods are always gods. In Buddhism the gods are part of the worlds of form and desire and therefore essentially finite. While they are in the position of gods, they can benefit human life.
Actually the Indian view is not different. Brhman is existence and is transcendental. But the gods, the multitude of them will be destroyed along with the phenomenal world at Pralaya, the end of the world, and a new world will be born with new gods. And this is only natural because the world and the gods are creation of the mind, of faith. They represent forces that are not material but exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality