Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 09:44 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Freedom for me was driving with a friend yesterday into my lovely city after 3 whole years. I was afraid I may not be able to navigate our crazy cow path streets, I might have lost my bearings, but i was back in my favorite haunt and it made me so happy. At the art cinema the movie we wanted see was sold out. No problem we walked to my favorite vietnamese place and then walked across to my favorite book store and we browsed for as long as we pleased. I snagged two good books at the downstairs used book shelves. It felt wonderful, like i can breathe again.
Happy 4th!
Sounds like a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No holiday here. I went to the dentist.

Got scraped and scaled.

But Happy Independence Day to everybody at home!
I used to be terrified of the dentist. Spending most of my life in Britain, going to the dentist was a bit like visiting a torture chamber of humiliation. I got over it when I moved here. US dentists have a much better bedside manner.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Celebrating the 4th this year is a bit like attending a birthday party for someone in hospice, so I'm just having a quiet one at home. Wishing everyone here a fine day, however you choose to spend it!
Yes I know what you mean. I've heard many say they are boycotting it this year.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:22 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yes I know what you mean. I've heard many say they are boycotting it this year.
With the shootings in Highland Park and Philadelphia, maybe it was a good idea on more than one front!

Old 07-05-2022, 08:27 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Happy July 4th all.

How about we have a cease fire today and post something positive huh?

I wish everyone here a great day full of good weather, maybe a laugh or two and good health.

Cheers. X
We've had so much going on lately and still to come into the rest of the year, we were content to take it easy here at home and not do much. Great weather but not too many laughs as we spent a good part of the day returning three large heavy storage sheds that my wife had ordered from Home Depot. We assembled the first one for the side of our house, and what a thing. More assembly problems due to poor craftsmanship than I could swear about, and boy did I do some swearing. Then my wife decides she hates them, in part because they didn't fit too well between the side of our house and the fence at the property line.

So shoot me! We spend a good part of yesterday hauling these damn things back to Home Depot. I will admit we got a laugh or two about this in the end but mostly lots of swearing on my part.

Otherwise had a nice day in which we got in some bike riding and exercise we've not been able to do for awhile because of doing other things. Then later afternoon, I heard the news about the 4th of July parade shooting in Chicago, and it was hard to continue sharing the well wishes. America has got a real problem. Chicago among the worst. "Immeasurable suffering" is right.

Struck me to read your call for a "cease fire" on the same day. If only we could manage that somehow...

Old 07-05-2022, 08:42 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Happy Day 185 (of the year). That's another way to state it.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We've had so much going on lately and still to come into the rest of the year, we were content to take it easy here at home and not do much. Great weather but not too many laughs as we spent a good part of the day returning three large heavy storage sheds that my wife had ordered from Home Depot. We assembled the first one for the side of our house, and what a thing. More assembly problems due to poor craftsmanship than I could swear about, and boy did I do some swearing. Then my wife decides she hates them, in part because they didn't fit too well between the side of our house and the fence at the property line.

So shoot me! We spend a good part of yesterday hauling these damn things back to Home Depot. I will admit we got a laugh or two about this in the end but mostly lots of swearing on my part.

Otherwise had a nice day in which we got in some bike riding and exercise we've not been able to do for awhile because of doing other things. Then later afternoon, I heard the news about the 4th of July parade shooting in Chicago, and it was hard to continue sharing the well wishes. America has got a real problem. Chicago among the worst. "Immeasurable suffering" is right.

Struck me to read your call for a "cease fire" on the same day. If only we could manage that somehow...
Yes. I hadn't heard the news about the shootings when I typed that.
To tell the truth I had looked at a couple of threads and literally all the conversation was back biting and insults.
I just wondered where the heck the supposed spirituality was.

I'm not into July 4th myself but many people are and I wondered where the joy was on a day thats supposed to be joyful. I was trying to lighten the mood.

And then I read about the shootings.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yes. I hadn't heard the news about the shootings when I typed that.
To tell the truth I had looked at a couple of threads and literally all the conversation was back biting and insults.
I just wondered where the heck the supposed spirituality was.

I'm not into July 4th myself but many people are and I wondered where the joy was on a day thats supposed to be joyful. I was trying to lighten the mood.

And then I read about the shootings.
I don't come to this forum for joyful. Just like I don't listen to the news for joyful...

Old 07-06-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't come to this forum for joyful. Just like I don't listen to the news for joyful...

It puzzles me WHY some people do come to this forum (present company accepted).

Some people just come across as downright miserable and negative all the time. What's the point?

Why subject yourself to the misery? There's a great big world out there? Sunshine, nature. Surely there are better places to feed your spiritual soul than arguing all the time. IDK.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
It puzzles me WHY some people do come to this forum (present company accepted).

Some people just come across as downright miserable and negative all the time. What's the point?

Why subject yourself to the misery? There's a great big world out there? Sunshine, nature. Surely there are better places to feed your spiritual soul than arguing all the time. IDK.
"Misery loves company?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality