U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM

7,654 posts, read 6,354,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm in my late 50s and I feel the same way that Haaziq does.
I don't want anything to do with your god thing.
I don't believe in one, don't need one.
All I need to know is that I did the best I could today.

I live a happy and pretty cushy life with what I have here and now.
I am fulfilled, even without the faith you have with a creature in the sky.
This Aug. I'm going to be 58 years old. I became a Christian when I was 11. I can tell you, there is a God, and His name is Jesus Christ. On rare occasions He speaks to me, and I'm not sure why He has done this, but I really love Him. It is a real mistake I believe if all you think you need is your cushy life. The God of the Bible is much more than a creature in the sky. And He is offering you a greater life to come, if you are wise enought to follow Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 PM

5,153 posts, read 5,625,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
This Aug. I'm going to be 58 years old. I became a Christian when I was 11. I can tell you, there is a God, and His name is Jesus Christ. On rare occasions He speaks to me, and I'm not sure why He has done this, but I really love Him. It is a real mistake I believe if all you think you need is your cushy life. The God of the Bible is much more than a creature in the sky. And He is offering you a greater life to come, if you are wise enought to follow Him.
This Aug. I'm going to be 18 years old. I can tell you, there is a god, and His name is Vishnu. He also has a son named Krishna On rare occasions He speaks to me, and I'm not sure why He has done this, but I really love Him. It is a real mistake I believe if all you think you need is your cushy life. Vishnu is much more than a creature in the sky. And He is offering you a greater life to come, if you are wise enough to follow Him.

Tell me why your post is right and mine is wrong. If you can't, you wasted your time.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 AM

7,654 posts, read 6,354,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
This Aug. I'm going to be 18 years old. I can tell you, there is a god, and His name is Vishnu. He also has a son named Krishna On rare occasions He speaks to me, and I'm not sure why He has done this, but I really love Him. It is a real mistake I believe if all you think you need is your cushy life. Vishnu is much more than a creature in the sky. And He is offering you a greater life to come, if you are wise enough to follow Him.

Tell me why your post is right and mine is wrong. If you can't, you wasted your time.
My post is right because my God has revealed the future, your God has not. My God fulfilled the 300 prophecies of the Old Testament, you God has not fulfilled anything. And has your God given you any evidence to show that I am wrong? Because if He has, I would like to see the evidence for His existance.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:47 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,250,652 times
Originally Posted by Campbell34
Quote:
My post is right because my God has revealed the future, your God has not. My God fulfilled the 300 prophecies of the Old Testament, you God has not fulfilled anything. And has your God given you any evidence to show that I am wrong? Because if He has, I would like to see the evidence for His existance.
Your God has done nothing extraordinary, simply because the Bible is written by men who only believed themselves to be inspired by God.
In other words the Bible has as much evidence and / or relevance as other Holy Texts written by men who believed to be inspired by their deity.

Claiming that only Christianity has the one true God (or the absolute truth) is like the modernists claiming that only their style is beautiful, thus that only the modernist-style is worthy to be called art.
Just believing this does not make it so.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:04 AM

123 posts, read 186,984 times
TrickyD, do you like my secularist thinking (only thinking)? It's rather conservative: like the old song goes; "All things come from God. Do you think that love was born? All things come from God." Do you like Daniel Bell?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,250,652 times
Originally Posted by KrisKr
Quote:
It's rather conservative: like the old song goes; "All things come from God. Do you think that love was born? All things come from God."
I dunno where God comes from, nor am I interested in finding an answer to that particular question.
I mean asking where God comes from is the same as questioning why humans have emotions; we simply have them and it is better to learn how to cope with them instead of finding out why we have emotions.

Quote:
Do you like Daniel Bell?
I have never heard of Daniel Bell before so I just googled him. I haven't read his books but I guess I would agree with his book The End of Ideology.

Quote:
The End of Ideology has been influential in what was called endism. This is the idea that both history and ideology have been reduced to insignificance because Western democratic politics and capitalism have triumphed.

Source: Daniel Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He seems very Dutch for an American.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 AM

5,153 posts, read 5,625,389 times
Quote:
I'm an atheist actually. I was just pointing out your claims can be made by any person of any religion. I'm not a Hindu.

And there is no evidence for anybody's god.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:31 AM

6,573 posts, read 8,464,421 times
Quote:
Ah the timeless and classical "My God is better than your God" argument... It's right up there with the "My Dad can beat up your Dad" argument only more unprovable....

Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,235,740 times
When all is said and done with each individual who is posting here, you will know the truth, won't you?? But then it will be too late for the naysayers.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 4,805,705 times
Default Is Faith just Wishing there was a god?

I think that for many, faith is fearing that the God of the Bible is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality