Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I want the Atheism/Agnosticism sub-forum to be added and I am...
...an atheist or agnostic interested in disussions with other atheists or agnostics 27 87.10%
...interested in posing non-confrontational questions to atheists or agnostics and learning more about this worldview 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,742,967 times

Advertisements

We are considering creating a sub-forum for atheism/agnosticism. However, before we do so, we want to gauge the interest level. We do not want this proposed sub-forum to become just a debate forum. Therefore, if you fit either definition and you want this sub-forum to be added, please vote. This poll will be open for three days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Count me in.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
I'll be there, and look forward to interesting views put forth by others.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:43 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
I'm an atheist/existentialist, however, my thoughts on this forum is that the entirety of the discussion will be from neighboring Christians asking the typical, "How can anyone be an atheist? It takes the same amount of faith that you're arguing against."

Most non-Atheists simply do not understand that an atheist and an agnostic is often times one in the same, and that while SOME atheists make certain declarations, many others do not.

Ahh, see, already annoyed lol -- Okay, otherwise, it's a good idea but I worry that it will simply be similar to the above.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I'll be there.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I'll participate if a sub-forum is created, however, I am concerned that Evangelicals will see it as another proving ground for their mission.

Last edited by K-Luv; 05-26-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: I am a stickler for spelling.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I agree with K-Luv.
I'd like to see lively debate but not atheist bashing.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I'm all for it. I may be wrong, but I don't see why the evangelists won't respect the new forum as most of us respect the Christian forum....

Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Hmmmm....

My only question is this:

"What are we going to talk about?"

The only thing that, by definition, constitutes an Atheist is a disbelief in God(s). So, my main objection is that there is no doctrinal format to make the forum as lively as the Christian one or the main Religion forum.

As far as I can tell, all if not most of the Atheists on this forum all agree on things. If we disagree about politics it is not because of our Atheistic stance but a matter of personal philosophy and is hashed out on the political forum. If we disagree about a scientific or technological venture we discuss it on that particular forum.

So, is having an Atheist board particularly necessary? I'm sure we'll have threads about why we became atheists and things of that nature but part of what makes this forum great is the debate in all of it. I just don't see us Atheists debating amongst ourselves that much... Take a look around. We all pretty much get along.

That being said, perhaps opening an Atheist forum will be a good thing. Maybe it'll show that all of the debate, all of the bickering, all of the fighting, and all of the animosity is a result of religion...

I'm not yet convinced that we need an Atheist forum/sub-forum so I am not yet going to vote. I am open to listening as to why we should get one but I am not yet convinced. That being said, if one does open up than I will most certainly post on there if the topics are of interest. I hope I'm wrong, in a way. Hopefully we'll have some wonderful topics. But, as we all know:

Atheism is as much a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby. - Richard Dawkins

Anyway, one way or the other, I continue looking forward to posting alongside all of you and I rest assured knowing that you won't look at me one way or the other simply because I am not yet voting. I'm anticipating the results of this. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I see Troop's point as well.

I find it interesting that there's a christian sub-forum yet numerous specifically christian threads in the regular R&P forum.

I don't see how that same phenomenon won't occur if a new sub-forum is created. It would be nice if there were just one thread For Atheists Only similar to the Gay thread.

My only real concern is the evangelism that goes on in the atheist threads. I'd be happy if there were just some respect of our point of view in the regular forum.

I guess I'm on the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality