Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 02:56 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Whether I am or not does not address the original issue. If there was anything in the OP to call "lie" on, Christians in here would have come out of the woodwork to call it. But outside of yourself and that, I'm sorry...pathetic attempt at catching me on something, "Christians have been lying since the beginning" there hasn't been a peep from the Christian quarters. And I did point out that early Christian leaders had no problem at all with lying to advance their cause which I will remind people of again, omitting Paul which for the sake of brevity I will accept as factual:
Just go on living in your little fantasy world. You don't deserve any further attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 03:32 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Just go on living in your little fantasy world. You don't deserve any further attention.

Adios.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
It seems to me to be the opposite of living in a fantasy world.
Now I live in a fantasy world to most. So I know what the world considers fantasy....
thrill's is not such a thing.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:47 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now I live in a fantasy world to most. So I know what the world considers fantasy....
Thank you for that. I think that's fair.

Anyone who reads my posts knows that I have a dim view of theism and think many forms of it result in concrete harms. I don't even disagree with much of what Thrill says, and I'm pleased for him that his thinking on these matters has evolved toward atheism. But his approach is not for me. I'll leave it at that.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:00 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
His fantasy is that Christian sources can't be trusted and so nothing said by a Christian source is evidence. He has an unreasoning hostility toward Christianity and so denies that the apostles even existed. I'm done with him.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
His fantasy is that Christian sources can't be trusted and so nothing said by a Christian source is evidence. He has an unreasoning hostility toward Christianity and so denies that the apostles even existed. I'm done with him.
As well you should be. My 2 cents.
But can you blame him for saying it's not evidence? Direct exp is evidence, but only to yourself! ha!

Some people need solid evidence, they have dominant Left brain activity ...so?
That's the way they were made; others were made to have faith in the invisible.
I'm one of those, a Right brainer. Of course, faith goes out the window when you exp supernatural things.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:26 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Mystic Ph.D. claims he has personally experienced a visitation of Jesus Christ. How do you explain that?
The operative word here is "claims". Mystic had a personal experience which he claims was god. That's all. What do you mean "how do you explain that"? It doesn't prove a thing. Just that someone may be slightly delusional. We all know that personal experiences are just that, personal to them. If someone has a dream about a god, does that make it real?

Old 10-09-2022, 06:27 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
I think he's figured out it's assumptions and assertions all the way down. I am not sure the apostles even existed either (or that they did not) -- I think that and the generally accepted dating of various writings and a lot of other things are way more up for grabs / based on pious hope and assumptions than is generally realized. I'm just politic enough to assume such things for the sake of argument in most cases, because it is even less productive to probe a believer's base assumptions than it is to show the where their abstractions already leak.

Fortunately for me their metaphorical roof leaks so profusely that I don't have to waste energy showing them the cracked and disintegrating foundation or even much of the termite infestation on the first floor.

Thrill's other error is the same as several of your believing interlocutors here: if you would just look at this laundry list of data I have here, it's self-evident that you're wrong. That's not likely to convince anyone even if the laundry list is a good one, and it really shouldn't because no one's list is really airtight -- dealing, as it does, with alleged events that are seen dimly in the mist of time and embedded deeply in our collective consciousness.

This is exactly why I'm fine with the sort of religion that has a sufficiently life-and-let live, as opposed to us-vs-them, approach. Any port in a storm, and all that sort of thing. Do what you need to do to get through you day, and let me do what I need to do. Unlike Thrill, I don't envision a perfect world without religion. Humanity isn't ready for that yet, and I'm not entirely convinced it ever WILL be.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:15 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
As well you should be. My 2 cents.
But can you blame him for saying it's not evidence? Direct exp is evidence, but only to yourself! ha!

Some people need solid evidence, they have dominant Left brain activity ...so?
That's the way they were made; others were made to have faith in the invisible.
I'm one of those, a Right brainer. Of course, faith goes out the window when you exp supernatural things.

Can't rep you, Miss Hepburn but your observations are excellent. Some people do have the capacity to believe in anything without proof. Others have to see the entire schematic before they will invest their time and trouble and money. I was right brain for 60 years--I just accepted Jesus was real and the church was telling me the unvarnished truth. BIG MISTAKE.

Somewhere around 60 or so I changed and became left brain. The Internet made that possible. Suddenly at my fingertips were all the lies the the Christian religion had told people for millennia to keep themselves perpetuated. Little by little I decided to get the truth out there as well to hasten Christianity's demise.

If someone says to be after hearing what I have to say, "Look, I know there's no evidence Jesus ever lived. I know he looks more like a mythological hero than he does a real human. I"m fine with that. I want Jesus in my life because he is a part of it." Then I say, "Go your way and peace and happiness be unto you."

I just want them to hear both sides of the story and not the one-sided crap that the church has been peddling to people for 2000 years before they make that decision.

Michael Way and Thoreau and others hate me for pulling up Christianity's skirt and revealing their dirty underwear. It's pathetic that they can form such hatred for someone because that someone is merely trying to reveal the truth--something their Jesus preached was golden. They are the ones Jesus spoke about

"This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light" John 3:19

Old 10-09-2022, 08:31 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Can't rep you, Miss Hepburn but your observations are excellent. Some people do have the capacity to believe in anything without proof. Others have to see the entire schematic before they will invest their time and trouble and money. I was right brain for 60 years--I just accepted Jesus was real and the church was telling me the unvarnished truth. BIG MISTAKE.

Somewhere around 60 or so I changed and became left brain. The Internet made that possible. Suddenly at my fingertips were all the lies the the Christian religion had told people for millennia to keep themselves perpetuated. Little by little I decided to get the truth out there as well to hasten Christianity's demise.

If someone says to be after hearing what I have to say, "Look, I know there's no evidence Jesus ever lived. I know he looks more like a mythological hero than he does a real human. I"m fine with that. I want Jesus in my life because he is a part of it." Then I say, "Go your way and peace and happiness be unto you."

I just want them to hear both sides of the story and not the one-sided crap that the church has been peddling to people for 2000 years before they make that decision.

Michael Way and Thoreau and others hate me for pulling up Christianity's skirt and revealing their dirty underwear. It's pathetic that they can form such hatred for someone because that someone is merely trying to reveal the truth--something their Jesus preached was golden. They are the ones Jesus spoke about

"This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light" John 3:19
Wow, in addition to everything you are sexist? Why is Christianity wearing a skirt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality