Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 12:23 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
They created a trinity god at the council of Constantinople in 381 ce, by satans will to mislead all serving it to not enter Gods kingdom.
Tertullian wrote about the Trinity around 200 AD.

Quote:
Then translated errors in to fit that false council teaching. The biggest error being a capitol G God in the last line at John 1:1. Its not written like that in the Greek lexicons, which is Catholicism translating.
The true God called HoTheos in the second line, plain Theos in the last line clearly showing a difference. The only other spot in the NT is at 2 Cor 4:4--satan called plain Theos-god and the true God called HoTheos=God. It works the same at both spots, but billions have been mislead by that capitol G error.
That is a choice of translation, and has nothing to do with how the Romans wrote in Greek. You use mixed letter case, the Romans did not.

I have explained this to you several times before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 06:37 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Unfortunately this poster has been given the official JW explanation probably a half million more times than you have given the real-world one.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Unfortunately this poster has been given the official JW explanation probably a half million more times than you have given the real-world one.
I am not sure he even understands the JW explanation, which is based on looking at the Greek grammar, he is just working from the conclusion and how it is represented in translation with mixed upper and lower case letters as if that is the actual argument.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:49 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

That is a choice of translation, and has nothing to do with how the Romans wrote in Greek. You use mixed letter case, the Romans did not.

The Koine Greek also had no upper or lower case letters. This also has been explained many times.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:33 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
After reading this forum for a few years, I've read many a time, when someone quotes from "the Bible." Now," I put "Bible" in quotes and capitalize the "B" because of what I was taught..."

But I read about people talking about "THE" bible, as if the one in their possession is the ONLY one. The one with 66 books...

I've seen people debate back and forth about how something they're debating about "isn't in the bible".

Yet I think, WHOSE bible? I mean, I'm Catholic, so I have a Catholic Bible...which includes the other books that are often left out of the KJV...and then some.

And yet, the very things they argue about are THERE, in the Catholic books.

I don't get it.
Does it really matter Mink? If so, to what extent?

I ask because as I too have been reading from this forum for more than a few years now, considering many a version of what is or is not in the bible, or Bible, or any of the holy books, how much does it matter what is actually there or not there? Given the way people interpret what they read in all variety of ways, "allegorically," or "metaphorically" as some like to insist, or verbatim as others will, or as anyone seems to wish, what difference do the differences make?

I too was raised a Catholic, and all the while I knew of only ONE Bible, same one you have, but there again you read and understand that same Bible very differently than I do. No matter what is actually written...

Old 10-23-2022, 02:47 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:

Tertullian was considering God being a trinity because the Abrahamic God=a single being God was still served by the true followers. No trinity exists. Israel never served a trinity in their existence while serving the true God.
The Romans didnt write the bible. Servants of a single being God named-YHWH(Jehovah) wrote the bible.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Does it really matter Mink? If so, to what extent?

I ask because as I too have been reading from this forum for more than a few years now, considering many a version of what is or is not in the bible, or Bible, or any of the holy books, how much does it matter what is actually there or not there? Given the way people interpret what they read in all variety of ways, "allegorically," or "metaphorically" as some like to insist, or verbatim as others will, or as anyone seems to wish, what difference do the differences make?

I too was raised a Catholic, and all the while I knew of only ONE Bible, same one you have, but there again you read and understand that same Bible very differently than I do. No matter what is actually written...
This is precisely why the written word of god is not nearly so useful nor impressive as some like to think it is. Because the book still has to be interpreted, by one of dozens of often conflicting hermeneutical systems, each which has adherents who wield each system rather differently.

Assuming for the sake of argument god wants to provide written revelation, it has to run a gauntlet something like the following:

God => Author => Author's understanding* => Author's particular ignorance / bias => (Countless generations of scribal copying) => Individual readers => Reader's understanding / ignorance / bias => Application

In practice, throughout most of human history it was even worse, because most humans were illiterate. So there WERE generally no "individual readers" but rather clergy who decided what to cherry pick and present in public teachings, to listener's ears, and so on from there. Also via liturgical / prayer books in some cases these decisions weren't even entirely in the hands of local clergy.

So ... you asking where it really matters is very apt. As is proven every day here and, especially, on the Christianity forum.

* Assuming the author is not an automaton, producing holy writ via automatic writing -- which is not what the vast majority of even inerrantist theologians claim; rather, god allowed the authors their own style and be informed their own knowledge and experience.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:03 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The Koine Greek also had no upper or lower case letters. This also has been explained many times.
It doesn't matter to the JW's who want to believe there was an intent to use lowercase!!! There can be NO REASONING with unreasoning credulity and a controlling leadership discouraging individual thought!!! Very frustrating indeed!

Old 10-23-2022, 10:16 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is precisely why the written word of god is not nearly so useful nor impressive as some like to think it is. Because the book still has to be interpreted, by one of dozens of often conflicting hermeneutical systems, each which has adherents who wield each system rather differently.

Assuming for the sake of argument god wants to provide written revelation, it has to run a gauntlet something like the following:

God => Author => Author's understanding* => Author's particular ignorance / bias => (Countless generations of scribal copying) => Individual readers => Reader's understanding / ignorance / bias => Application

In practice, throughout most of human history it was even worse, because most humans were illiterate. So there WERE generally no "individual readers" but rather clergy who decided what to cherry pick and present in public teachings, to listener's ears, and so on from there. Also via liturgical / prayer books in some cases these decisions weren't even entirely in the hands of local clergy.

So ... you asking where it really matters is very apt. As is proven every day here and, especially, on the Christianity forum.

* Assuming the author is not an automaton, producing holy writ via automatic writing -- which is not what the vast majority of even inerrantist theologians claim; rather, god allowed the authors their own style and be informed their own knowledge and experience.
If God had dictated it directly to some scribe, you would STILL have most of the same issues as long as humans are involved in the process. The intervening time scale and societal evolution are also daunting as regards retaining any "original intent."

Old 10-24-2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Tertullian was considering God being a trinity because the Abrahamic God=a single being God was still served by the true followers. No trinity exists. Israel never served a trinity in their existence while serving the true God.
Na, und? All I am doing is pointing out why your claim was false.

Quote:
The Romans didnt write the bible. Servants of a single being God named-YHWH(Jehovah) wrote the bible.
Whoever wrote the various parts of the NT were clearly educated, and so had a classical Roman education. And the Romans did not use letter capitalisation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality