Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times

Advertisements

I don't think that it matters what they find out there, becaues it will not affect the truth of the bible.

If they find water? Doesn't say in the bible that there is no water out there.

If they find ameobas or plankton. The bible doesn't mention them being created on earth either. So, if there found extraterrestrial it would not be any big deal.

First thing is, we would have to determine that they did not derive from earth first anyways. Humans have sent alot of junk into space and I am sure they are not all sterile.

In fact they find spiders at 30,000 feet up, so I could see even one of those little guys taking a ride on a rocket into space.

So, I am sorry, but finding plants and animals on another planet are not going to destroy Christianity/Judaism. It would be interesting but that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
What an interesting subject. I was always wondering about Mars and what possibly could be up there.... you've got to love the "Truth is out there" quote!

Anyway, as far as living microbes and other organisms, i'm pretty much sure they are out there, we haven't discovered them yet, we have no possible ways to get far enough to get to things that exist, and i believe they do.
When you think "living" you automatically assume breathing oxygen creatures, it's not really the truth, this is truth to us. I would be just thrilled to live long enough and hear about discoveries that are to be made in the future.
"Love came from Mars" or Alien planting earth with humans theories are more believable to me then God creation. But that's just me.

I also believe that if government or whoever else is hiding something regarding aliens or other stuff related to humanity, it is simply because of Religion, can you imagine an impact that it will make on 2000 years of "truth"?

And what about missing link? That's the question i'd like to get an answer to....

Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
There could 'ave been life on mars

Life on Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Okay, here is the question - What if evidence for some type of life on Mars is discovered?

I am not talking about little green men or any of that nonsense. I am talking about microscopic animal life or plant life. How will this change our perception of religious doctrine? Most major religions are based essentially on an earth-centric model. God created earth and all the animals and other things on that earth for man. The Bible makes no mention of other planets or life on other planets.

Does this essentially, once and for all, show that the Bible is not a "literal history" but a story, written by men a long, long time ago and the story reflects their world-view at the time, including their complete and utter ignorance as to the possibility of life on other planets?
Jesus said "I have sheep that are not of this fold" and in Revelation we are told that God's Holy Angels will be sent to the far corners of the heavens to assemble His elect. No mention? Read the Bible. It answers many questions and is a soothing remedy for "complete and utter ignorance".

Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post

And what about missing link? That's the question i'd like to get an answer to....
The answer is that it really is missing! There is no link. We did not evolve from lower primates. We were created in God's image.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The answer is that it really is missing! There is no link. We did not evolve from lower primates. We were created in God's image.

May be you are correct about missing link being missing, but that doesn't make Creation being the truth.
I can safely state that missing link is missing due to an Alien envasion, coming from Mars, you name it....

Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
I want to throw this out there and let y'all think about this. Among the aboriginal people of this world there has always been a common legend that has been around for thousands of years, one that you don't hear that much about mainly because so-called civilized man considered it a silly notion or impossible, who knows, anyway, the basic premise of the legend goes something like this. There is a belief in this legend that we the native people are originally not of this Earth that we were transplanted here from another planet and that the planet that we came from was a red planet and that we were brought to a blue planet, mind you this is just a legend, but stop and think about that, this is a legend that has existed for thousands of years and it gives specific colors of the planets, it was not until the 20th century that we even knew that the planet Mars was the color red and it was not until man set foot on the moon that we even knew that the earth was blue, so you tell me, how was it the aboriginals knew what the color of these planets were thousands of years ago, because if you look up in the night sky with the naked eye you can't tell what color that planet is. Just something to really think about...

Old 09-16-2020, 06:50 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Leaving aside the comments regarding little green men and other conspiracy issues, (I didn't want this post to get into that nonsense) I do think that some evidence of primitive life on Mars would seriously shake up some of the more traditional tenants of many religions. I am not saying that this would destroy Christianity or Islam or Judaism or whatever; again these religions have dealt with major scientific revelations before (Copernicus's calculations, Galileo's confirmations, Newton's laws, Darwin's observations and theories, etc). I am just interested in how modern theologians will deal with a fairly major issue regarding life as we have traditionally seen it within the universe throughout human history.

For the record, although I was raised Christian and no longer consider myself Christian, I am not necessarily against the notion of a "creator" or "higher power." I am certainly not an atheist. I am probably more along the lines of a very skeptical deist who generally leans agnostic but admits that there are some unknown questions out there that could be explained by the presence of some unknown greater power.

I also think the Bible is a very important text; arguably the most important and influential book of all time. It contains very interesting historical, moral, theological information. My problem is mainly when certain people attempt to teach the book at literal historical truth or (even worse) somehow scientific truth.
I realise this is now well past the middle of 2020 and nearly into 2021, but life on another planet is still a mystery to the scientists and those who follow science. To the ones who dont believe what we are told, I would say there is already plenty of evidence for life on Mars, the Moon, and probably other places as well. This will not be reported here or in the science-space forum either because science and religion just dont like the thought of aliens or sentient life out there. It does not sit comfortably with them. So you may have to go to the Unexplained forum for more 'out there' ideas such as life (larger than micoscopic) on other planets.

The debate about flying saucers has been going on in government circles since as early as 1947 and probably before that. We know (or some people who have control of secret projects know) that these flying saucers are not ours and that they have been reported for ages in both the Bible and in other religious texts.

I dont see what all the fuss is about as religions themselves report these things in their books and iconic paintings, so everyone knew about them since the start, when all these books were written to instruct everyone how to live. Anyone who does not accept them as part and parcel of their religion cannot have been reading the right books or else they are making up their own version of their particular religion. Well, I suppose we all have different versions and interpretations of what we hear and read. Thats how humans are.

The quote above, does address the theory, but it does not address the practical aspects because I reckon our noses are so close to the Bible or other holy books that we cannot see a wider picture and we are afraid to look at that wider picture in case we become impure or involved in the devils work.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
If God chose to put some form of life on other planets, what differance would it make to us?? It sure would not change my faith. Even if He chose to put humans on other planets it would not change things here on earth.
If Martian landed here and gave you verifiable evidence that they 'created' Earth and all life on it...you wouldn't believe it.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
2020 and there are still people that think like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality