Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 11:36 AM

50,143 posts, read 23,799,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
It is in the story, when he killed the Egyptian, and when the two Israelites whose argument he tried to end came at him with that, he went out into the wilderness. It was in the heart of Moses, to see the Israelites freed.
"story" is right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 03:53 PM

477 posts, read 119,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I regard it as a false human / spiritual, physical / supernatural dichotomy and a false choice.

I am a human having a human experience, because that's what humans do. This is a perfect example of begging the question by framing it as if there are not other possibilities.
Here is my understanding of this, if you don't mind.

OP question is obviously logically flawed.
Both begin the question and false dichotomy fallacies are there.

False dichotomy has to do, as you noted, with framing it as if there are no other possibilities.
The correct framing would be
Are we spiritual beings n having a temporary human experience or are we not?
Direct logical negation without involving additional possibility which is not necessarily exhaustive.

Begging the question is different.

Begging the question is what makes this question a loaded question.
Just like classic loaded question "When did you stop beating your wife?" legitimizes an unproven assumption that wife has ever got beaten in a first place, OP presents "spiritual beings" as a legitimate existing choice, makes "spiritual beings" into something real, which he cannot do without showing first that whatever he calls "spiritual beings having a temporary human experience" is something actually existing and not just a feeble of his imagination.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:29 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,289,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How do believers and non-believers who consider themselves spiritual, look at this question?
I would answer your question,

but I'm not sure what exactly it means, to be a spiritual being.

I'm still trying to be a human being.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:49 PM

15,795 posts, read 6,861,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Here is my understanding of this, if you don't mind.

OP question is obviously logically flawed.
Both begin the question and false dichotomy fallacies are there.

False dichotomy has to do, as you noted, with framing it as if there are no other possibilities.
The correct framing would be
Are we spiritual beings n having a temporary human experience or are we not?
Direct logical negation without involving additional possibility which is not necessarily exhaustive.

Begging the question is different.

Begging the question is what makes this question a loaded question.
Just like classic loaded question "When did you stop beating your wife?" legitimizes an unproven assumption that wife has ever got beaten in a first place, OP presents "spiritual beings" as a legitimate existing choice, makes "spiritual beings" into something real, which he cannot do without showing first that whatever he calls "spiritual beings having a temporary human experience" is something actually existing and not just a feeble of his imagination.

A spiritual being may be defined as one that is eternal, pure existence. Human being is a finite existence, bound to die from the day it is born.

A spiritual being that has forgotten its true nature of eternal existence is a human being that may experience a spiritual existence. Or may not.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:34 PM

63,387 posts, read 39,647,364 times
It should be evident to everyone here online that they are actually using the "composite resonant neural synaptic activity at the level of quanta" in their brain to respond to these posts. That composite "thinker" is a spiritual being, NOT a physical being. When we had little knowledge of the difference between energy manifestations at the macro level and those at the level of quanta, we had an excuse for thinking we were just physical beings.

We should no longer have that excuse. None of your physical self is doing any of the "thinking" that produces the responses you transfer to your fingers and the computer. It exists at the level of quanta and that is beyond the macro level of physical beings. Of course, I realize that it is not remotely obvious or evident to most of you, but it should be, IMO! The quantum level of existence is the Spiritual level of being and it is beyond our sensory system capabilities.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:43 PM

21,866 posts, read 19,019,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It should be evident to everyone here online that they are actually using the "composite resonant neural synaptic activity at the level of quanta" in their brain to respond to these posts. That composite "thinker" is a spiritual being, NOT a physical being. When we had little knowledge of the difference between energy manifestations at the macro level and those at the level of quanta, we had an excuse for thinking we were just physical beings.

We should no longer have that excuse. None of your physical self is doing any of the "thinking" that produces the responses you transfer to your fingers and the computer. It exists at the level of quanta and that is beyond the macro level of physical beings. Of course, I realize that it is not remotely obvious or evident to most of you, but it should be, IMO! The quantum level of existence is the Spiritual level of being and it is beyond our sensory system capabilities.
i have to say i love the first line of that post! but of course !!!
you are totally rocking it Mystic !!!!! this is one of my favorite posts in a long time.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:04 PM

477 posts, read 119,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A spiritual being may be defined as one that is eternal, pure existence. Human being is a finite existence, bound to die from the day it is born.

A spiritual being that has forgotten its true nature of eternal existence is a human being that may experience a spiritual existence. Or may not.
Of course "spiritual being" may be defined. Anything may be defined.
That can be done.

What cannot be done is to define something into actual existence.
And this is, I'm afraid, what you are trying to do.
Sort of like if definition is provided then it must be real.

Sorry, it does not work this way.
Spiritual being with aforementioned properties needs to demonstrated first, and then we all, together can go about developing the most appropriate definition for it.

Last edited by Sonof; 11-14-2022 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-14-2022, 08:07 PM

2,955 posts, read 926,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
we are eternal beings having a temporary human experience.
This.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:07 PM

19,727 posts, read 13,265,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Of course "spiritual being" maybe defined. Anything may be defined.
That can be done.

What cannot be done is to define something into actual existence.
And this is, I'm afraid, what you are trying to do.
Sort of like if definition is provided then it must be real.

Sorry, it does not work this way.
Spiritual being with aforementioned properties needs to demonstrated first, and then we all, together can go about developing the most appropriate definition for it.
This has to be one of the most astute posts on this forum anytime recently. Bravo :-)

If I had a nickel for every time a theist tried to define something into existence, I'd be rich as Croesus.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:21 PM

63,387 posts, read 39,647,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i have to say i love the first line of that post! but of course !!!
you are totally rocking it Mystic !!!!! this is one of my favorite posts in a long time.
This response has become one of my favorites from you Tzaph, although I suspect it will not be equally appreciated by others here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality