Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 09:13 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
One problem is that some adherents to some religions don't believe that's what their religions teach.

Fundamentalists generally teach and believe that god has given man dominion over all the animals, that man is a special creation of god, created "a little lower than the angels" and in god's image. In addition, god is in total control of everything and would never let puny man destroy his creation. So in their weird calculus, the environment is indestructible, the earth is to be exploited with abandon in whatever way we wish, animals are here to be eaten and enslaved, and god has given man dominion over everything on his behalf. The net result is that they rape, pillage and destroy almost everything that they touch.
Further, with a belief that the old world will pass away and there will be a new earth, some religious types see no point in saving this one.

I watched almost the entire six-part series "The Universe" on Netflix last night (got to be too late for the last epi). Awe-inspiring.

For a counter-balance to that sort of religious belief, I recommend this book. It was part of the curriculum when I did EFM, the four-year theological study program for the laity developed by an Episcopal seminary.

https://www.amazon.ca/Care-Creation-...40918152&psc=1

Old 11-26-2022, 12:24 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Further, with a belief that the old world will pass away and there will be a new earth, some religious types see no point in saving this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 02:24 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801
The story I heard was that humans are here to tend the earth and look after her and her environment and we have obviously failed so far. So, the Earth will split into two and there will be like 2 streams going on. (I dont like the idea that this is exclusionist and that some people are 'saved' and others aren't, but I like to believe it is not like that and both groups continue.) However, something has to happen soon because we are obviously destroying our world and the cretins who 'rule' us are getting more and more powerful, controlling and destructive.

I suspect it might be either 1) that the world we experience goes on without much change and in the background the two Earths split taking some one way and others in another. Or, 2) maybe there will be a huge event which disrupts our life so much that we lose touch with the ones who move with the other Earth. I mean, in disasters people disappear all the time and are never found, so why not each group 'disappear' to the other group and continue their lives on the other Earth?

We just dont understand the real way the Universe works, so it is all speculation at this point, perhaps just like stuff in the holy books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality