Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 09:43 AM

15,961 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

https://www.prri.org/research/2020-c...ican-religion/
Jehovah’s Witnesses are a sliver of minority, about the same size as Jewish, Muslims, and Hindus.
I find it interesting that the religion believes in Heaven, but not Hell.

I did not know that both Williams sisters were raised as Jehova’s Witnesses (JW) and practice the religion. I love both these women.
As was Prince when he died. Several famous Americans from the Black community are practicing or converted to JW.
President Eisehower - JW. Who knew! He left the religion as an adult.
https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-j...elebrity-lists
A higher percentage of Black and Hispanic people are JW. Often they are also anti-gay, and conservative.
There are positive and negatives aspects of all religions, just like the people who are part of it.
I would be interested in knowing what those who practice the religion find find positive about it, what makes it right for them, how does it help their spirituality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 10:16 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
https://www.prri.org/research/2020-c...ican-religion/
Jehovah’s Witnesses are a sliver of minority, about the same size as Jewish, Muslims, and Hindus.
I find it interesting that the religion believes in Heaven, but not Hell.

I did not know that both Williams sisters were raised as Jehova’s Witnesses (JW) and practice the religion. I love both these women.
As was Prince when he died. Several famous Americans from the Black community are practicing or converted to JW.
President Eisehower - JW. Who knew! He left the religion as an adult.
https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-j...elebrity-lists
A higher percentage of Black and Hispanic people are JW. Often they are also anti-gay, and conservative.
There are positive and negatives aspects of all religions, just like the people who are part of it.
I would be interested in knowing what those who practice the religion find find positive about it, what makes it right for them, how does it help their spirituality.
I think you're overstating it. Suggest you read page 156 of this: https://www.kshs.org/publicat/histor...mn_bergman.pdf

Old 04-16-2023, 04:39 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're overstating it. Suggest you read page 156 of this: https://www.kshs.org/publicat/histor...mn_bergman.pdf
It would seem so, although I never knew the Eisenhower family had any connection to the Jehovah’s Witnesses, so I’m pleased to have learned something new today.

I did know his family were members of the River Brethren, an Anabaptist sect. Based on Eisenhower’s military career, dating back to his college days at West Point, it seems neither faith left much of a mark as far as pacifism is concerned.

It seems that Eisenhower had a sense of spirituality and respect for a broad spectrum of religious beliefs. But he was not much for organized religion itself. He wasn’t baptized until 1953, when he formally joined his wife’s faith, Presbyterianism.

I’ve had some pleasant (faith-centric) conversations with Jehovah’s Witnesses when out-and-about. Whenever I mention being Jewish, they’ve been perfectly respectful. Perhaps they’d sing a different tune if I said I was also atheist. That’s a concept many non-Jews unfamiliar with Jewish culture just can’t wrap their head around.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It would seem so, although I never knew the Eisenhower family had any connection to the Jehovah’s Witnesses, so I’m pleased to have learned something new today.

I did know his family were members of the River Brethren, an Anabaptist sect. Based on Eisenhower’s military career, dating back to his college days at West Point, it seems neither faith left much of a mark as far as pacifism is concerned.

It seems that Eisenhower had a sense of spirituality and respect for a broad spectrum of religious beliefs. But he was not much for organized religion itself. He wasn’t baptized until 1953, when he formally joined his wife’s faith, Presbyterianism.

I’ve had some pleasant (faith-centric) conversations with Jehovah’s Witnesses when out-and-about. Whenever I mention being Jewish, they’ve been perfectly respectful. Perhaps they’d sing a different tune if I said I was also atheist. That’s a concept many non-Jews unfamiliar with Jewish culture just can’t wrap their head around.
Quote:
. On July 30, 1956, two years after pushing to have the phrase “under God” inserted into the pledge of allegiance, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs a law officially declaring “In God We Trust” to be the nation’s official motto.
It was a Godless nation until then, and without a motto.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
It was a Godless nation until then, and without a motto.
Wrong again. E pluribus unum predated it. It's on the Great Seal Of The United States.

A motto isn't what makes a group of people godless or...godful (?).

Old 04-16-2023, 06:55 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

Huh, a Jewish atheist. I can't wrap my head around it. You're right. Well....maybe it's like me being Irish but not Catholic. I'm an Irish atheist. Or a former Christian Irish atheist. Nah, remove the labels. We're just regular ol' atheists.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:22 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Huh, a Jewish atheist. I can't wrap my head around it. You're right. Well....maybe it's like me being Irish but not Catholic. I'm an Irish atheist. Or a former Christian Irish atheist. Nah, remove the labels. We're just regular ol' atheists.
Read the Wikipedia article, and you’ll get a better idea.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Wrong again. E pluribus unum predated it. It's on the Great Seal Of The United States.

A motto isn't what makes a group of people godless or...godful (?).
Regardless, Ike declared it as the nation’s motto. Per the link.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Regardless, Ike declared it as the nation’s motto. Per the link.
Regardless, the nation didn't become a christian nation on the day Ike declared it. From the day before it was declared to the day after it was declared, religious life in American went on as it had been. Except, perhaps, for the religiously infatuated.

Old 04-17-2023, 05:33 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Regardless, the nation didn't become a christian nation on the day Ike declared it. From the day before it was declared to the day after it was declared, religious life in American went on as it had been. Except, perhaps, for the religiously infatuated.
Yep ... the US wasn't a christian because Ike, fundamentalists, Congress or any other person or group said it was. What does that even mean? Any idiot knows that the predominant religion in the US is Christianity, and always has been. It's just stating the obvious, rather like a white supremacist pointing out that we're a white nation.

What's more to the point is that the US is a pluralistic democracy that, at least on paper, has freedom of religion for all, not just for Christians -- and including the areligious, including atheists. And Christians ought to be humble and honorable and mature enough to live with that diversity without being threatened by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality