Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,354,473 times

Advertisements

Animism is not Paganism. Belonging to a cult/sect is not Christianity, Judaism, or Muslim. Then there are tribal religions, personal religions (I've got my own). Taoism isn't Buddhism, and it isn't Paganism. Who do I talk to about adding an Other section to religion?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,211,093 times
I noticed that the first day!

Where was Other?
Where was Eastern...not just Hindu....

Thank you for bringing this up!

So I post in Religion and Spirituality...I finally figured out.
But still it attracts many Bible proponents and distractors...turns into a Christian thing.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,492,491 times
I tend to think that Buddhism caters for much eastern religion but there is a Hindu gap. The other stuff might best go in 'paganism' which term covers a lot of ground.

Incidentally, I find it interesting that many of what I think of of sortagod or patching agnostics (rather than not -knowing agnostics - of which I am one) tend to gravitate to religion rather than either Christianity or Atheism/Agnosticism.

I don't know whether it is atheism's view of half -belief agnosticism or half -belief agnosticism's view of atheism that is cause of this unfortunate lack of fellow feeling.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM

16,591 posts, read 15,520,008 times
There is also a thread started asking for a Spirituality sub-forum. Next somebody will want a sub-forum for "None of the Above." My view is that the main forum "Religion and Spirituality" is the place for those discussions. I sincerely believe that we should all try to keep each thread "on topic" and remind our dear Mods if a thread needs a nudge back on track. I think that should deal with the main forum becoming too much of a "Christianity" forum.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM

Arq,
I was told by my ex, an atheist, that he really should call himself an agnostic to be
true to the scientific method...but then he'd smile and say....But I'm really a firm atheist.
Meaning it would be pretty darn hard to convince him.

(Which I never even tried...bec the joke was I didn't care if he burned in hell for eternity...
I stole that from Puddy on Seinfeld.)

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 05-20-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,985,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Animism is not Paganism. Belonging to a cult/sect is not Christianity, Judaism, or Muslim. Then there are tribal religions, personal religions (I've got my own). Taoism isn't Buddhism, and it isn't Paganism. Who do I talk to about adding an Other section to religion?
This notion is often brought up and humorosly it is always vigorously fought by those attempting to eradicate the earth of all/any religions.

I'd love to read posts and (attempt to) discuss the Vedas etc. but even those are threats to some. Many are saying that they have been hurt by religion so....hurt people, hurt people.
It's Christian bash or nothing and every theist/deist is a Christian here, that helps to keep the us vs. them (total strangers) mentality.

Hurt people, hurt people.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Try
Others@city-data.com

Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,636,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
That depends on what definition of pagan is being used.
One definition is that any religion that is not sourced from Abraham (Christian, Muslim or Judaism) is a pagan religion.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,492,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Arq,
I was told by my ex, an atheist, that he really should call himself an agnostic to be
true to the scientific method...but then he'd smile and say....But I'm really a firm atheist.
Meaning it would be pretty darn hard to convince him.

(Which I never even tried...bec the joke was I didn't care if he burned in hell for eternity...
I stole that from Puddy on Seinfeld.)
To be strictly correct, an agnostic does not know whether there is a god or not. It is a knowledge position and in fact we are all agnostics since nobody really knows whether there is a god or not.

Atheism on the other hand is a belief -position. When it is based on agnosticism - not knowing whether there is a god or not, then the logical belief position is to with-hold belief until one does know (or at least there is sound, compelling evidence.

Since this has failed to appear I remain an agnostic -atheist. Your ex's position was perfectly sound. I'm not sure what a 'firm' atheist is, but I'm a rather militant one.

You'd never guess.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,013,000 times
Count me among those who'd prefer an "Other" sub-section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality