Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times

Advertisements

Agnosticism is certainly the easy way of doing things. I know God does exist...I have faith after all. And out of love, I want to do things in the way I feel he wants me to. This requires effort but it's the good kind. The icing on the cake is that I am happy. After all, even if I am not right, applying bible principles could in no way be deemed a bad thing, could it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:47 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Agnosticism is certainly the easy way of doing things. I know God does exist...I have faith after all. And out of love, I want to do things in the way I feel he wants me to. This requires effort but it's the good kind. The icing on the cake is that I am happy. After all, even if I am not right, applying bible principles could in no way be deemed a bad thing, could it?
Agnosticism isn't necessarily the easy way of doing things. If someone's sifted through all all of the evidence and decided that the best way of truth is to suspend judgement then that isn't really easy, unlike faith which tells someone they shouldn't look through the evidence to decide what they should believe since the evidence is contrary to their faith.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM

428 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Agnosticism is certainly the easy way of doing things.
It most certainly is not! I can say that for myself it takes a great deal of reading, thinking, discussion, and soul-searching. To my mind it would be much easier to have some authority tell me what to believe.

The coiner of the term "agnostic", T.H. Huxley, lost his child to an illness. I remember reading a quote in which he said he would have loved nothing more at that moment than to believe in God, heaven, etc, but it was not possible for him.

One of the things believers sometimes do not allow us agnostics is that like any human beings, we wish we could meet our loved ones again some day. It's just that we have come to the conclusion (and not always easily) that it is highly unlikely. And we cannot make ourselves believe if exhorted to do so by a believer, even if we might feel happier.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Agnosticism isn't necessarily the easy way of doing things. If someone's sifted through all all of the evidence and decided that the best way of truth is to suspend judgement then that isn't really easy, unlike faith which tells someone they shouldn't look through the evidence to decide what they should believe since the evidence is contrary to their faith.

Ah but that's where you're wrong. Rather than being contrary to our faith, the evidence (I'm speaking more of archaeological evidence, eyewitness evidence of those who knew Jesus, evidence that he really did die on a cross and rose the third day, ect.) proves (to ME, I realize you will disagree) that what I believe is founded on truth and is not just some made up story.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
How about this one:

Agnosticism = You Don't Know, Neither Do I, Nor Do I Care.
Perfect, my new slogan when the door xians stop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
[/b]

Ah but that's where you're wrong. Rather than being contrary to our faith, the evidence (I'm speaking more of archaeological evidence, eyewitness evidence of those who knew Jesus, evidence that he really did die on a cross and rose the third day, ect.) proves (to ME, I realize you will disagree) that what I believe is founded on truth and is not just some made up story.
The other shoe drops. See, agnostics, YOU'RE WRONG, and here's why...
Not "I differ" or acknowledgement in a non-xian thread, but an xian coming into a non-xian thread to say YOU'RE WRONG.

Why does this not surprise me?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
No one who knew Jesus or saw him is alive today...so as to his rising from the dead and floating up to Heaven being witnessed...well...those stories are more accounts from men who lived 2000 years ago and tried to explain what they believed had happened. Do I believe anyone who is dead can come back to life on this planet? No. I am not sure about the afterlife but I do know that the energy that is our spirit, our "ego", does not die...it just changes form...so I would say that there IS an afterlife of some sort.

But I do not know...no one does...and that's why I read and study and ask questions and cannot accept one belief as the all-knowing truth. I tried to accept and make myself believe Christianity for several decades of my life but it never allowed me to question or educate myself in other ways or beliefs. Science threatens many Christians...it shakes their belief-tree and this is because of fear. Christian dogma teaches that if you question the "Truth" the "Word" you will be punished...so the fundamentalist does not dare to ask questions nor stray from their mindset even for a momet. "I believe this and you can't make me look at any other possibility". It's kind of sad, actually...there is so much to learn and explore and question...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrsquest View Post
Any he created the rest of the universe and decided not to mention it in the bible for what reason? Oh I forgot they didnt know about it when that was written, good thing he cleared it up ahead of time.

And there off spring would mean we are all incest. After Adam and Eve had children, how did they proceed onto the third generation? The children must have slept with each other, or their own parents. How do you explain this to an inquisitive child without condoning incest? Incest was the order of the day, and would have been required for two or three generations. The same applies to the story of Noah's Ark. The children of Noah's family and his wife's family must have slept with members of their parent's family, or each other. Any further generations would again be faced with the same choice. Interbreeding two families causes severe retardation, mutation and infertility. This happens to isolated Human population even when there are more then two families.

See, you're just thinking too much here! Just forget about your ability to think and reason, forget about everything you've learned in life and your ability to learn from experiences. You just have to have total blind faith! Don't question it!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Just forget about your ability to think and reason, forget about everything you've learned in life and your ability to learn from experiences. You just have to have total blind faith! Don't question it!
But why? I can't bring myself to do that and I don't ever want to. Guess I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't because I will not (can not) stop questioning things. That wouldn't be me.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
But why? I can't bring myself to do that and I don't ever want to. Guess I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't because I will not (can not) stop questioning things. That wouldn't be me.
dang question beggars..

I'm with you. I have to question.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Total blind faith means putting away my brain...can't do that. IT keeps on chugging along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality