Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Depends on what kind of Baptist. The general concensus among Southern Baptists is agreement with the Biblical view that it is sinful, and that marriage is an institution ordained by God as one man, one woman, for life (although I wish many would take the for-life part more seriously). That belief is held by any church that puts Biblical priniciples over contemporary thinking.

Westboro Baptist Church on the other hand does not adhere to Biblical principles because they cherrypick from the Old Testament and pretty much ignore most of the teachings of the New Testament. They hate the homosexual, America, and about anything else under the sun. The Bible said God loves the world and thats why He sent His son to die for us so we might be forgiven. God still hates sin, but He loves the sinner and freely offers His gift to all who would recieve. The Westboro Baptist Church does not believe in salvation and repentance as taught by the Bible. They believe they are the sole messengers of God as the prophets were in ancient Israel and they are the only ones who will go to heaven. They believe God ordained them to spread their message of hate as 'warning' from God on doomed America. That group is an extremist cult in every way, shape, or form. There is nothing Christian or Baptist about them.
I'm a "Southern Baptist", accepted into their church. Doesn't mean I agree with everything that comes from the SBC. (the C is for conference).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:44 AM

6 posts, read 11,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well here is the worst of the lot.. Westboro Baptist Church Home Page
This is sick! Where is their love?

Are we looking at the future direction of fundamentalist religion in America?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 11,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
christians are not judgemental at all.
Yeah?
Maybe not to you, if you're one of them.
Try being an atheist. You'll soon experience their judgement-alism.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:03 AM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Actually I find christians, especially the born again type, ( I am not sure if Southern Baptists are " born again" ) are to be the most judgmental of all religions I've ever encountered. It is evident all over this forum. I'm not saying all are this way, but the number that are seems quite high. You just have to look any threads where the topic of homosexual marriage is discussed to see this. Fred Phelps cult takes the theme to extremes with the pickets, but the fundamentalist position on gays is basically the same.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:48 PM

83 posts, read 318,037 times
Can someone please define "judgmental" for me? What do you mean when you say Christians or even Baptists are "judgmental"? Do you mean they are intolerant? If so, what do you mean by "intolerant"?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Judgemental means making judgments, especially critical ones, about other people's conduct. Like gay marriage for instance.

Not tolerant, especially: Unwilling to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, especially religious beliefs.

I do think many religious people, not just Christians are both judgemental and intolerant.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedallionMan View Post
Yeah?
Maybe not to you, if you're one of them.
Try being an atheist. You'll soon experience their judgement-alism.
I have never had "problems" with atheists--partly because there is NO way to identify them...unless one group or the other starts tattooing their foreheads...

and I'm not big on people with tattoos....

Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 AM

sanspeur

Quote:
Judgemental means making judgments, especially critical ones, about other people's conduct. Like gay marriage for instance.
In other words, if you are doing something or living a certain way, and I say it is wrong, then I am being judgmental?

Quote:
Not tolerant, especially: Unwilling to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, especially religious beliefs.

I do think many religious people, not just Christians are both judgemental and intolerant.
Unreligious people are never intolerant or judgmental, right? What do you mean by "tolerate"? The reason I ask is that most people mean by "intolerant" that you do not accept their view/actions as right. In other words, if you say, "You are wrong," then you are being intolerant. That is not what tolerance is at all. Tolerance presupposes one person or view or action is right and the other is wrong. You cannot tolerate something with which you agree. That is ridiculous. It seems like alot of people are saying Christians are intolerant/judgmental, but what they mean by that is that Christians disagree with their views or lifestyle and tell them they need to repent and trust Jesus. Thus, Christians are intolerant. Today, the most intolerant thing is to disagree with that definition of tolerance! If you do not accept that all views are equally right or wrong, then you are intolerant. The problem is that this view of tolerance is simply intolerant itself! The only thing we should NOT tolerate is people who disagree with this definition of tolerance.

Do you agree or are you also intolerant?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewood3 View Post
sanspeur

In other words, if you are doing something or living a certain way, and I say it is wrong, then I am being judgmental?

Unreligious people are never intolerant or judgmental, right? What do you mean by "tolerate"? The reason I ask is that most people mean by "intolerant" that you do not accept their view/actions as right. In other words, if you say, "You are wrong," then you are being intolerant. That is not what tolerance is at all. Tolerance presupposes one person or view or action is right and the other is wrong. You cannot tolerate something with which you agree. That is ridiculous. It seems like alot of people are saying Christians are intolerant/judgmental, but what they mean by that is that Christians disagree with their views or lifestyle and tell them they need to repent and trust Jesus. Thus, Christians are intolerant. Today, the most intolerant thing is to disagree with that definition of tolerance! If you do not accept that all views are equally right or wrong, then you are intolerant. The problem is that this view of tolerance is simply intolerant itself! The only thing we should NOT tolerate is people who disagree with this definition of tolerance.

Do you agree or are you also intolerant?
Nice try, Sorry but if you do not accept the definitions I posted from a dictionary I can't help you.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 AM

Wow, I think you totally misunderstood me. I asked what YOU meant by "tolerate." I said that most people today mean something different by "intolerant" than what "intolerant" has normally meant.

When people say Christians are intolerant, they do not mean they will "tolerate" their views; what they mean is that Christians will not affirm that the opposing view is right and good. That is not toleration. I have to by definition disagree with your view and say you are wrong in order to tolerate your view! I am not redefining what intolerance is; I am simply saying that many people are in fact doing that. I don't think your definition is necessarily wrong or insufficient. I only asked what you mean by "tolerate." Am I tolerating your view if I say your view is wrong? Am I tolerating your actions if I say they are wrong? Or must I affirm your actions/views in order to "tolerate" them (whatever that means)?

Can you answer this: What is the difference, in your opinion, between being "judgmental" and being "intolerant"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality