U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,431,791 times

Advertisements

Over 99% of all of the species that have ever lived are now extinct. That poses some interesting questions for those who believe in creationism. If the earth was really only about six thousand years old and all of the species that God created existed together during one time period that would mean that all of these millions of species have gone extinct in just a few thousand years and the one percent who survived are all that's left. How in the world could you explain such a thing? Consider some of the animals that are now extinct such as certain meat eating dinosaurs or even the sabre toothed tiger. They would have been much more dangerous and likely to survive than animals like the grizzly bear which is not extinct. What events could have taken place in just a six thousand year time period that could have wiped out 99% of all species?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:39 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,765,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Over 99% of all of the species that have ever lived are now extinct. That poses some interesting questions for those who believe in creationism. If the earth was really only about six thousand years old and all of the species that God created existed together during one time period that would mean that all of these millions of species have gone extinct in just a few thousand years and the one percent who survived are all that's left. How in the world could you explain such a thing? Consider some of the animals that are now extinct such as certain meat eating dinosaurs or even the sabre toothed tiger. They would have been much more dangerous and likely to survive than animals like the grizzly bear which is not extinct. What events could have taken place in just a six thousand year time period that could have wiped out 99% of all species?
Supposing that your 99% stat is correct, I have two words for you.....
THE FLOOD.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:43 PM

30,043 posts, read 30,747,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
THE FLOOD.
Geez, I guess Noah messed up then huh? He missed 99% of the creatures he was ordered by god to save.....

Old 06-14-2008, 05:55 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,431,791 times
DayOfTheLord wrote:
Quote:
THE FLOOD.
I was expecting this one to pop up as an explanation. The only problem with that is as sanspeur pointed out, the reason that Noah spent all that time building that big boat was to save all of the land animals from this flood. There was supposed to be a repopulation of the earth of every land animal. The Bible didn't say that 99% of them were supposed to have drown, it says exactly the opposite so what are you talking about? The obvious explanation is that the author of Genesis didn't have the foggiest idea that life had been going on for millions of years and that new species were evolving and many had become extinct as well as the fact that there had been mass extinctions that took out millions of species at one time.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Geez, I guess Noah messed up then huh? He missed 99% of the creatures he was ordered by god to save.....
The ark was big, but not that big. I can't see taking gigantic man-eating and other animal-eating monsters along for the ride. See, I can roll my eyes too.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
DayOfTheLord wrote:

I was expecting this one to pop up as an explanation. The only problem with that is as sanspeur pointed out, the reason that Noah spent all that time building that big boat was to save all of the land animals from this flood. There was supposed to be a repopulation of the earth of every land animal. The Bible didn't say that 99% of them were supposed to have drown, it says exactly the opposite so what are you talking about? The obvious explanation is that the author of Genesis didn't have the foggiest idea that life had been going on for millions of years and that new species were evolving and many had become extinct as well as the fact that there had been mass extinctions that took out millions of species at one time.
Do you think every little detailed thing that happened on the earth was recorded in the Bible? There is no mention of saving ALL the animals in existance. Did they know that the earth was round? Were there other continents then as well as now? Could it be possible that Noah didn't even know dinosaurs existed because they were on the other side of the world? Hmmmm......millions of possibilities. God can take out millions of species by mass extinction at any time, including ours.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:32 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,456,294 times
That means that Noah failed god miserably

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjv
And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female
Quote:
Originally Posted by niv
9 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
That means that Noah failed god miserably
All where? Was Noah able to hop in his jet and fly around the world picking up dinosaurs? No. God directed Him to save "all animals"......which would mean.....all animals he was aware of and privy to. If God wanted them to be on the ark, I believe He could have provided them and if not, He could create more....you know, like He did the first time.

What's really amazing and extremely contradictory to me is someone quoting scriptures who claims to be an atheist. No one's going to be mad or upset with you if you believe in God. We (Christians) would probably hug and kiss you and throw you a party!!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 PM

21,433 posts, read 29,595,447 times
Genesis 7:2 "Take along seven pairs of each animal that I have approved for eating and for sacrifice and take one pair of each of the others. Then select even pairs of every kind of bird. There must be a mail and a female in each pair to ensure that every kind of living creature will survive the flood".

Sounds to me like God told Noah to only take the animals that He approved of.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 PM

30,043 posts, read 30,747,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Genesis 7:2 "Take along seven pairs of each animal that I have approved for eating and for sacrifice and take one pair of each of the others. Then select even pairs of every kind of bird. There must be a mail and a female in each pair to ensure that every kind of living creature will survive the flood".

Sounds to me like God told Noah to only take the animals that He approved of.
If that is so, then sometimes I think he should have left man behind. It must be nice to have a "book of truth" that you can change to suit the situation huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality