Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Oops...why can't I help but notice the pope?

If that was your question, then the answer is all the glitz and glamour.
"Glitz and glamour"? If it's merely a case of being attracted to shiny objects, one would expect you to focus on Benny Hinn, or maybe Brittney Spears.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 AM

[quote=Hiram;4134352]
Quote:

Hindus have over one hundred Gods.
Actually, Hindus have three gods, who have multiple aspects/incarnations. If you want to call each incarnation a separate god, you'll have to apply that to the Christian trinity (YHWH, the Christ, the Holy Spirit) as well, and that blows the whole "monotheism" thing right out of the water.

::knowing this will go right over Hiram's head::

Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,278 times
[quote=Aconite;4148019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post

Actually, Hindus have three gods, who have multiple aspects/incarnations. If you want to call each incarnation a separate god, you'll have to apply that to the Christian trinity (YHWH, the Christ, the Holy Spirit) as well, and that blows the whole "monotheism" thing right out of the water.

::knowing this will go right over Hiram's head::
I, as a Christian, recognize only one God. Jesus is the son...not equal to God. The Holy Spirit is God's active force. The scriptures need to be truly examined.

Not recognizing Jesus as God does not disrespect Jesus' position. It respects God, the Creator, as having no one as His equal.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I apologize for Hiram's venom on behalf of my fellow Canadians...I'm thankful that people with his view of the world are few in Canada..
No worries, Sans. All I ask in return is that you don't hold me responsible for the idiocies of my government. <g>

Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
No worries, Sans. All I ask in return is that you don't hold me responsible for the idiocies of my government. <g>
Absolutely not...I like the American people very much... Your government policies not so much, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
[quote=beeveenh;4148058]
Quote:

I, as a Christian, recognize only one God. Jesus is the son...not equal to God. The Holy Spirit is God's active force. The scriptures need to be truly examined.

Not recognizing Jesus as God does not disrespect Jesus' position. It respects God, the Creator, as having no one as His equal.
You must be a Jehovah's Witness, or perhaps a Morman? The majority of Christians do believe in the trinity - 3 "persons" in 1 God, and so of course we say Jesus IS God.

"I and the Father are one." John 10:30

Though I'm sure God appreciates your respect, even it it turns out to be unnecessary

Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Originally Posted by Aconite

You must be a Jehovah's Witness, or perhaps a Morman? The majority of Christians do believe in the trinity - 3 "persons" in 1 God, and so of course we say Jesus IS God.

Though I'm sure God appreciates your respect, even it it turns out to be unnecessary
Whoa! I never said what your quote feature attributes to me. That was...(I'm guessing here since I don't have the threads in front of me)...mmm...maybe Bee?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Whoa! I never said what your quote feature attributes to me. That was...(I'm guessing here since I don't have the threads in front of me)...mmm...maybe Bee?
That is so strange!! I know it wasn't your quote I was responding to, it was Beveenh??? What is up with that???? Some glitch in the software here maybe???

Old 06-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That is so strange!! I know it wasn't your quote I was responding to, it was Beveenh??? What is up with that???? Some glitch in the software here maybe???
Either that or God's messing with the thread.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,278 times
[quote=lovesMountains;4151577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post

It was me!! I'm someone who has read the Bible and feel that there is overwhelming evidence that they are seperate and not part of what some refer to as a Godhead...it just isn't supported in the scriptures. Of course...MY opinion.

I have had people explain it with the water/ice/vapor comparison...the family comparison...and then eventually say, "It is a great mystery". I completely understand how the trinity works, what it means...I just don't believe it. Water is water, ice is ice, vapor is vapor...a family is made up of individuals of varying degrees of authority with a united purpose.

Jesus used many illustrations to help humans understand principles. Knowing well human thinking, why would he use the relationship of father/son referring to his relationship to God? The father/son relationship has a clear undeniable connection, but also a clear indication that God is in a superior position. A better relationship that would indicate that they were on equal ground would be that of brothers or something of that nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality