Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
There are many Biblical passages where Jesus says that He is God, but John 10:24-39 is one my favorite sections where Jesus makes His bold claim. The people even give a reason why they want Jesus dead!

24The Jews gathered around him, saying, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly."

25Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30I and the Father are one."

31Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, 32but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"

33"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."
34Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'? 35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? 37Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. 38But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." 39Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.
In all of these verses, you choose to pick out only things that suit your way of thinking. If Jesus and God are one in the same, why does he keep on referring to God as his father? He does it many times, right here in your post. Your post clearly shows Jesus to be the son of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
Don't you see that, if you credit the gospels, it all proves that Jesus was not a god?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM

249 posts, read 532,066 times
Default These mean the Seven Spirits of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4all View Post
husband and wife is one? but where are the children?
Jesus and the Father is one? but where is the Holy Spirit.

Can we talk about the unity of the Son and the Father without the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit is in the heart and mind of Jesus.. and manifests in his words and actions.

It is God's Spirit at work in him.

Speaking symbolically.. it issues forth from God's Throne.

----

"And out of the throne there are proceeding lightnings and voices and thunders; and there are seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, and these mean the Seven Spirits of God." - Revelation 4:5

----

The Spirit of Loving kindness

"And in Loving kindness a throne will certainly be firmly established; and one must sit down upon it in Trueness in the tent of David, judging and seeking Justice and being prompt in Righteousness. We have heard of the pride of your rulers, that they are very proud; their haughtiness and their pride - their empty talk will not be so." - Isaiah 16:5

The Spirit of Righteousness

"Look! There are days coming," is the utterance of God, "and I will raise up to David a Righteous sprout. And a king will certainly reign and act with discretion and execute Justice and Righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel itself will reside in security. And this is his name with which he will be called, God is our Righteousness." - Jeremiah 23:5

The Spirit of Justice

"Look! My servant, on whom I keep fast hold! My chosen one, whom my soul has approved! I have put my Spirit in him. Justice to the nations is what he will bring forth." - Isaiah 42:1

The Spirit of Wisdom

"And I shall fill him with the Spirit of God in Wisdom and in understanding and in knowledge and in every kind of craftsmanship . . ."

The Spirit of Peace

"For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. To the abundance of the princely rule and to Peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and upon his kingdom in order to Establish it firmly and to sustain it by means of Justice and by means of Righteousness, from now on and to time indefinite. " - Isaiah 9:6

The Spirit of Truth

"If you love me, you will observe my commandments; and I will request the Father and he will give you another helper to be with you forever, the Spirit of the Truth, which the world cannot receive, because it neither beholds it nor knows it. ." - John 14.15

The Spirit of Freedom

"Now God is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of God is, there is Freedom. And all of us, while we with unveiled faces reflect like mirrors the glory of God, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, exactly as done by God the Spirit."

2Corinthians 3:17
Attached Thumbnails
Why did people want to kill Jesus?-seven-spirits-god-william-blake.jpg  

Last edited by accelerator; 07-14-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 06:22 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
"I and the father are one"

"I give them eternal life"

"father is in me and I am in the father"

Not only do these verses that Jesus spoke make it clear that Jesus was claiming that He is God, it was also shows us that Jesus believed Heand God are the same person.
Jesus often said he was the Son of Man, where does he say he was god.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 07-14-2008 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 PM

249 posts, read 532,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Are you sure he claimed to be God? I see his claiming unity with God but never to I see his saying that he is God. As a matter of fact,it looks to me as if he is reprimanding them because they are accusing him of claiming equality.

“They have not known, and they do not understand; In darkness they keep walking about; All the foundations of the earth are made to totter.

I myself have said, 'You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.” - Psalms 82:5

-----

In Psalms David teaches that.. "'You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.”
..and Jesus quoted this in his defence.

The prophets were simply doing away with the old dulism idea of God.. and bringing the idea of God.. down to earth.. as a man.

Jesus was leading by example..

The bible teaches that we are all gods.. the creator manifest in his own creation.

This would still be considered as blasphemy by many today.. and any one who dared to say such a thing would be murdered or considered mad.

The Spinx.. with a head of a god.. and the body of a lion also symbolises this man / god relationship. Mankind is the king of the beasts (symbolized by a lion).. but has the head (or mind) of a god.. because he / she.. is also a creator.

-----

"So in this idea, then, everybody is fundamentally the ultimate reality. Not God in a politically kingly sense, but God in the sense of being the self, the deep-down basic whatever there is. And you're all that, only you're pretending you're not. And it's perfectly OK to pretend you're not, to be perfectly convinced, because this is the whole notion of drama."

Allan Watts
Attached Thumbnails
Why did people want to kill Jesus?-spinx.gif  

Last edited by accelerator; 07-14-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Jesus said often said he was the Son of Man, where does he say he was god.
John 10:30
John 14:8-9

I believe Jesus is God.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Jesus often said he was the Son of Man, where does he say he was god.

Evidently he told his helpers he was somewhere along the way because they sure as Hell believed it.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
John 10:30
John 14:8-9

I believe Jesus is God.
How do you explain Jesus referring to God as his father constantly?

Not trying to be rude, just wondering really.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
How do you explain Jesus referring to God as his father constantly?

Not trying to be rude, just wondering really.
I believe in the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, all three are one, with different roles.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,035 times
Back to the op.

Why did people want to kill Jesus?

Because it was in God the Father's perfect plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality