Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I can look at tendancies and "sin", like murder, lying, stealing, jealousy, etc. and understand that if I commit those sins, someone else is hurt and it's bad for society. I can also see that my relationship with my partner does not. There's a huge difference in stealing or lying and loving someone of the same sex. I don't live in misery because I deny myself murder, robbery, and lying. Actually, quite the opposite.

I'm sure you feel very close to your partner and I'm sure you love them dearly. And yes , there is a considerable difference in your relationship and the acts that you mentioned. But God has principles outlined for us in the bible and it is to our benefit to abide by those. I do not agree with sex before marriage (which is not against the laws of the land) any more than I agree with sex between members of the same sex. So I view your activity as no different than my next door neighbor who chooses to live w/her boyfriend. I don't judge you or her. I simply try to follow the guidelines of the bible and live my live accordingly.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Homosexuality is still against the law in many states...It means the laws are wrong, but I'm sure they will be changed. Sex between two men or two women is natural for them, not wrong, and I believe that "sin" is just a made up word used by people of " faith" to judge others.

We are animals...Mammals to be specific.

Yes, I'm sure it does feel natural to them because of their personal feelings and individual desires. And let me please repeat what I said before: I don't judge people. That is not for me to do. But I do judge actions based on what I feel to be correct from my study the bible-a book that has helped me lead the best life I can.

We are mammals by class but human by design.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
But homosexuality was 'illegal' in some states until just recently wasnt it? Does that mean it was wrong then? How is this not a valid point, I ask you? If we are looking to the animal kingdom to support our behavior, are there not myridads of things we could point to?

For the record, loving someone of the same sex is not a sin. I never implied that. Sexual relations between same sex is what I believe to be wrong.
Slavery was legal, interracial marriage was illegal - as American become more enlightened, we change our laws.

There are different types of love, I'm sure we both agree. The romantic love of a couple, and the sexual relations that strengthens that bond, is quite different from brotherly love, or that of friends.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
All Christians do not think this way.
My feeling is that, as a heterosexual, I did not wake up one morning and DECIDE to be straight. I'm just made that way.
There are probably gays who were subject to unfortunate influences as children which caused a certain bent, but in general, I know that most were just made this way and are entitled to find happiness and fullfilment where they can just like anybody else.
Those who so willingly judge others should leave the judgement between God and each individual.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Homosexuality is still against the law in many states...It means the laws are wrong, but I'm sure they will be changed. Sex between two men or two women is natural for them, not wrong, and I believe that "sin" is just a made up word used by people of " faith" to judge others.

We are animals...Mammals to be specific.
Actually, no, it's not illegal in any state. The Supreme Court overturned all "sodomy" laws in the late '90s.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Slavery was legal, interracial marriage was illegal - as American become more enlightened, we change our laws.

There are different types of love, I'm sure we both agree. The romantic love of a couple, and the sexual relations that strengthens that bond, is quite different from brotherly love, or that of friends.

Yes that is true. I do not disagree. But I do not feel that bonds with other humans should be strenghtened at the expense of damaging our relationship with God. I did not have sex with my husband before we were married...I wanted to...but I didnt. It's difficult to abide by some of God's commands but there is so much heartache that is avoided by doing so.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yes that is true. I do not disagree. But I do not feel that bonds with other humans should be strenghtened at the expense of damaging our relationship with God. I did not have sex with my husband before we were married...I wanted to...but I didnt. It's difficult to abide by some of God's commands but there is so much heartache that is avoided by doing so.
There's a big difference between waiting until marriage and denying yourself that bond for life.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Gang,

Tone it down and talk with each other instead of TO each other.

This is like a school yard shouting match.

Please.

Let's act like adults.

Also, instead of calling each other out publicly, please report the posts and let us handle them.

We certainly don't need you to do both. That just fuels this ridiculous fire.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
There's a big difference between waiting until marriage and denying yourself that bond for life.
What about people who remain single because they cannot find a suitable mate? I know people like this. It is absolutely possible to be happy and lead a celibate life. You fill that void w/ other relationships and activities, from what I understand.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you feel very close to your partner and I'm sure you love them dearly. And yes , there is a considerable difference in your relationship and the acts that you mentioned. But God has principles outlined for us in the bible and it is to our benefit to abide by those. I do not agree with sex before marriage (which is not against the laws of the land) any more than I agree with sex between members of the same sex. So I view your activity as no different than my next door neighbor who chooses to live w/her boyfriend. I don't judge you or her. I simply try to follow the guidelines of the bible and live my live accordingly.
Then I would say what it boils down to, is we both have different religious interpretations and beliefs. Granted, a lot of my beliefs are based off my personal life experience and knowledge of what I know I choose and don't choose.

My personal thought is that if Christians truly wanted to help gay men, they would promote monogamy, marriage, and personal responsibility in gay men, rather than telling them they're hell-bound abominations. When you're young and gay and feel that you're "going to hell anyway" because of what you're told, you tend to let your "moral compass" go out the door and do what feels good at the moment. There really is no one out there teaching young gay men how to be gay and moral at the same time. When you think your very existence is immoral to many people, why even bother trying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality