Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM

553 posts, read 566,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, because my God commands me to care for my children. So if I 'thought' my God ordered me to sacrifice my child, I would immediately know that that command did not come from my God and I was being deceived.
But this same God asked Abraham to do so. This is my contention. Based on your ' because my God commands me to care for my children' argument, why would he ask you or I to do something that clearly means harm to those same children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Right! God is not going to ask anyone to do that today, what happened with Abraham in the OT days.
So has God changed?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,866,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
But this same God asked Abraham to do so. This is my contention. Based on your ' because my God commands me to care for my children' argument, why would he ask you or I to do something that clearly means harm to those same children?
He wouldn't ask you or me, that's what I am saying, yydana. What He did with Moses He did for you and me. He did that to give us an example of what committed faith looks like and to show us His nature in offering to do for us exactly you are arguing against. If this event was for JUST Moses, it wouldn't be recorded in scripture.

God asked Moses to do something very difficult and then actually carried out the deed Himself by sending the sacrifice Himself rather than Moses' son, Issac. That ram is Christ Jesus.

God does not ask you and me to sacrifice our kids. He asks us to show our kids His own sacrifice of His son for them. To raise Godly children and show them the love of the Father. He died so your children can live. That, my friend, is the message in this story.

God provides the sacrifice for the life of our children.

Teach yours well.

Please, for their sake!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:42 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,933,797 times
Fair enough, everyone has their reasons not to sacrifice their children if god commanded them to. From the responses I got god wouldn't ask this again(thx Alpha,ILNC, and alice for that). I was thinking more of putting yourself in poor Abe's place, I think even If there was no legitimate reason of that kind yet I would still have to say no to sacrificing my children.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:00 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,093,456 times
Quote:
Thank you Simple Living, but on a side note, the book of Genesis provides internal evidence that the book was either written and/or edited much later then the events it states. An extrapolation would imply that could mean some later scribe wrote it, compiled it or edited it to suit a contemporary agenda. In either case, a writer or writers could have gotten pretty creative with the pen.

The book mentions the monarchy of Israel which did not come into existence until 400 years AFTER Moses. Moses knew about the "kings of Israel?"
In my response, I was speaking about Moses being the author of Exodus. I'm sorry. I don't know how I got off on an Exodus tangent...

The author of Genesis doesn't identify himself. And, even though Genesis ends almost 3 centuries before Moses was born, the OT and the NT ascribe it's writings to Moses. There are a LOT of scripture references that support this. If you'd like them, just let me know.

It would be fitting for Moses to be the author, given his education and background. According to most Bible scholars, no compelling evidence has come forward to challenge Moses being the author. Genesis was written after the Exodus but before Moses' death.

I would have to disagree with any statement that says the Bible was ever edited in the way you described. Here are two very short videos on YouTube that can explain it MUCH better than I could. Even if you just watch the first one, you'll get the gist.

Has the Bible Changed Over Time? Part 1 (1 min 38 sec)

Has the Bible Been Changed Over Time? Part 2 ( 1 min 54 sec)

Old 06-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Don't really want to get off track too much Simple Living even though I started it, but let me apologize. I brought up Genesis and you were speaking about Exodus. As for Genesis, I say it may have been written and/or edited much later then the details it contains and I mean even later then Moses because of this anachronism.

Now these were the kings who reigned in the land of Edom before any king reigned over the children of Israel: - Genesis 36:31

How would Moses have known about kings who lived 400 plus years after him?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:09 PM

23,002 posts, read 34,323,501 times
Quote:
So has God changed?
See Alpha's post #23

Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,093,456 times
Quote:
Don't really want to get off track too much Simple Living even though I started it, but let me apologize. I brought up Genesis and you were speaking about Exodus. As for Genesis, I say it may have been written and/or edited much later then the details it contains and I mean even later then Moses because of this anachronism.

Now these were the kings who reigned in the land of Edom before any king reigned over the children of Israel: - Genesis 36:31

How would Moses have known about kings who lived 400 plus years after him?
That's the nature of prophecies: Things, and people, predicted before they occur. In the middle of all the genealogical details of Edom is a statement prophetically pointing to kingship in Israel. (A couple of references, although there are more, are Genesis 17:6, and 49:10. Also in numbers 24:7 and Deuteronomy 17:14-20.)

The kings' list doesn't introduce a dynasty because each ruler isn't the son of his predecessor. "Kings" is most likely being used to suggest ruling over a more settled people than tribal groups. But, that's getting into unrelated detail. (Habit, I guess! I love talking about the Bible.)

Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,601,376 times
From this week's "god works in mysterious ways" department:

Fall into sewage tank kills 14 people in Pakistan - World news - South and Central Asia - Pakistan - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40329141/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/ - broken link)

Death toll from Cambodia stampede rises to 345 - CNN.com

Young boy falls to death at Staples Center - CNN.com

Last edited by Charles; 11-23-2010 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality