Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it is ok with god?
Yes 4 30.77%
No 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 AM

5 posts, read 16,559 times

Advertisements

Let me ask, do you think it is ok to break the law, like the really small ones unimportant ones, mainly do you think it is ok with god if if you break the law really small ones unimportant ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 AM

12 posts, read 26,262 times
Default The Point

i've wondered this myself lately. what's the big deal about going 5 miles over the speed limit? shoot, I do it every day. but i think we are missing the point when it becomes frivolous. The Point is Christ. Why do we do the things we do? Just because something is legal does not make it Biblical. God wants our hearts and our sincerity, not just our empty actions. Maybe it's just up to our own personal conviction(?) What we do on the outside should reflect how we are on the inside. If we follow the speed limit but go home and cuss our or brother, what's that saying about our heart condition and our love for God? So i guess, don't miss the point--Christ.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:34 AM

Thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Not all laws are just and / or fair.
I find nothing wrong when a poor homeless person steals food when he has no money, since food is a necessity.
But I find it disgusting when a billionaire steals out of pure greed or tries to evade taxes.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,298 times
The Bible is clear on it. True Christians are to obey the laws of man as long as they don't conflict with God's higher laws. Human governments are allowed their place by God - not because they have His favor, but He knows there must be relative order. (Romans 13:1-2)

1 Peter 2:13-17 says, "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

Considering it as obeying God, we would want to view obeying tax laws and traffic laws as the same whether someone is watching or not. That is part of what Christian integrity means.

Only when man's laws conflict with God's laws, like when early Christians were ordered by Jewish and Roman courts to stop preaching about Christ and they refused. (Acts 5:41)

Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,406,632 times
I obey laws to a certian extent.

If I feel the law is unjust, I do not care then, i will do it. Then the only thing that keeps me from doing it is not that its a law, its the potential consequences from the gov.

I do not need a law to keep me from doing immoral things. If there was no law against murder, I still would not murder anyone.

If there is a law against drinking a beer in a campground, I will drink anyway because I am not bothering anyone in the world by doing so. So in that effect i will and do break the law.

I am of a very libertarian mindset when it comes to individual rights, I do not beleive anyone has the right to tell me what to do with my life.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by k350
Quote:
If there is a law against drinking a beer in a campground, I will drink anyway because I am not bothering anyone in the world by doing so. So in that effect i will and do break the law.
The thing is that although I have nothing against beer, I hate people who are drunk.
Simply because drunken people put a strain on public civility and the only way for avoiding this is by forbidding alcohol.
The fundamental problem with freedom is that my freedom ends where another person’s freedom begins.
So as long as you do not harm others you are free to do as you wish.
So I’d prefer it when people drink alcohol in a bar or in the privacy of their own home instead of public places.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saitek12300 View Post
Let me ask, do you think it is ok to break the law, like the really small ones unimportant ones, mainly do you think it is ok with god if if you break the law really small ones unimportant ones?
From a "non-god" point of view, the way I see (some) laws as that they are necessary to maintain a society. Laws against theft , murder, dishonesty, scamming and so on are very very necessary for any society to function, so they must be obeyed lest the society crumble.

Other laws are quite a bit more subjective and may not always be in the best interest for the society in question. For example: marijuana prohibition might not do society any good, and might actually cause more harm. (not trying to start a whole new debate, if you disagree, send me a message or something).

Petty theft is a misdemeanor, in many ways a small crime, usually a fine and some community service. But if everyone stole a candy bar or a pair of sunglasses every now and then, it would have great impact on society.

So in essence I suppose I am saying that even small laws can be important, and large laws can be harmful.

But as far as god goes, that depends on what you want to hear. If you want to hear that it's cool to kill people, you need to talk to a specific person, if you want to sleep with a lot of women and have it be cool, well you can see where this is going - everyone has a different view on what the same god has to say/think/react about a certain subject.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 AM

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
I think the overwhelming majority of laws at least in America do serve a purpose and should be obeyed. Of course we've all done our share of illegal U-turns and other minor offenses but the major felonies are felonies for a very good reason and it's not ok to break those laws. We've changed laws that were wrong such as not allowing black people the same freedoms that the rest of us have and I think there's probably a few laws still on the books in many states that shouldn't be there. I tried to Google strange laws still in effect in Tennessee where I live and apparently it's still illegal for white people to marry black people although it's not enforced, I've seen plenty of mixed couples. They even have a law that states that people who've engaged in a duel cannot hold public office, that one has probably been around a very long time. So when you consider the fact that there are laws on the books that should have been removed a long time ago it gives you a different perspective on the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality