Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 PM

553 posts, read 564,681 times

Advertisements

[Some] Christians read back a much, much later theological concept into the Book of Genesis and claim that Genesis 1:27, Genesis 3:22 and Genesis 11:7 speaks of the trinity. What I want to know is, if the early Hebrews, then Israelites, then Jews never believed in such a concept and Jews still don't today, how exactly did they and do they interpret those verses? Who did they and do they believe was/is "us?"

Also, if their interpretation is different from the much later Christians, which group's interpretation do we go with? Who gives way to who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,082,616 times
Very interesting questions. I don't know. I'd love to learn the answers, though.

The "us" and "our" in Genesis 1:26 shows the first evidence of the Trinity. The very name of God, Elohim, is a plural form of El.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Very interesting questions. I don't know. I'd love to learn the answers, though.

The "us" and "our" in Genesis 1:26 shows the first evidence of the Trinity. The very name of God, Elohim, is a plural form of El.
LOL...you'd love to 'learn the answers' and then you provided one. What should I make of that?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,082,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
LOL...you'd love to 'learn the answers' and then you provided one. What should I make of that?
I provided the Christian viewpoint. I'd like to know what non-believing Jews make of the "us" and "our".

Old 06-24-2008, 02:13 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,929,763 times
I think its because Judaism began as a polytheistic religion, more specifically a henotheistic one which later became monotheistic

Old 06-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I provided the Christian viewpoint. I'd like to know what non-believing Jews make of the "us" and "our".
Oh ok. There's one, but I'm not sure you would like it.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I think its because Judaism began as a polytheistic religion, more specifically a henotheistic one which later became monotheistic
My opinion also and the interesting thing is, this opinion is supported all up and down the Old Testament.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM

599 posts, read 1,257,333 times
Quote:
I've never heard this before...please provide evidence, links, whatever you have so I can read up on it .

Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,429,057 times
Also, it is written: "Behold oh Israel, the Lord is your God, the Lord is one unity". Yet they translate Echad (one unity) as Yechid (one indivisible) in this text.

The bible begins with Elohim (Plural "High One") bara (created singularly). I have heard that it is because God is so big that he is refered to plurally like a forest is the plural of a tree.

Then the text refers to the Spirit of God moving upon the face of the water. So in Genesis you have "God" and the "Spirit of God" being spoken of.

I think that the text of the Torah/Tanak/Old Testament is clear that God is a Trinity. Yet the Jewish rabbi's and Jewish leaders have said God is one and singular and indivisible and it has hurt them doctinally all these years. Even to the fact that they have missed their own Messiah (Mochiah) in the process. The Jewish nation put a veil upon Moses' face so they would not have to look upon the glory of God and to this day the veil remains upon them. This veil has caused them miss-understanding of their own God and ignorance of scripture and allowed for fear to come in. I know that most Jews are driven by fear which means that they are ignorant of or have rejected the very words in which they feel they derive their salvation. For it is written "have I not commanded you be strong and of good courage for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

I love the Jewish nation and I am even related. I know that soon salvation will return to the Jewish nation. They will accept what is written in the Holy Scriptures. They will accept God's Mochiah, Jesus Christ (Rabbi Yeshua ben Joseph). They will be the olive branch that was cut out yet re-grafted into the root. Then they will stand with us Christians united in one faith (See Deut. 30, the prophesy of Moses). The same hold with all of the devisions of denominations in the Church that have happened over all the years. For we (Jews and Christians whether Catholic or pentecostal) are all of one religion. Christianity itself is just a sect of Judaism.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,429,057 times
Quote:
No, this is incorrect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality