Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,281,713 times

Advertisements

I was shopping for a gift for a friend. I decided a Bible would be perfect, but they had so many different translations I didn't know which one to choose. I just wonder if anyone could tell me which translation is more accurate and why. Please feel free to tell me what your personal preference is too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,107,058 times
I prefer the KJV and the NKJV, although for a more clear understanding, the NIV version is good. We have several at home and two concordances to help our understanding.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,779,655 times
Thumbs up They're all accurate

They're all accurate. The question is how readable a version would you like?

The King James Version is Old English (thee, thou, thy, etc.)
New King James is nearly identical to the KJV, without the thee, thy, thou.

New International Version is the next most popular next to the KVJ. The NIV is written in modern english. More easily understandable.

Those were the only two types I've used. You'll have to get other opinions regarding the other versions: Amplified, American Standard, Contemporary English, etc.

I believe you'll also have to be careful in that if you want a bible, you get a bible. There are some that "paraphrase" the bible. They supply the meaning without giving all the superfluous details.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,408,957 times
I would NOT recommend getting a paraphrase, because you face the danger of reading someone else's interpretation about the words of the Bible, instead of reading what it actually says. It's pretty unethical, IMO, to present what one thinks it means and assume it's the only valid way of interpreting it.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:02 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,436,827 times
You'll want something that is cloesely translated to the original text. I recommend the NASB or ESV (English Standard Version). I recently purchased an ESV version after fifteen years of using NKJV. I don't recommend the Living or NIV versions as they often use words that aren't the best translation and can stray from the original intent of the author.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 PM

137 posts, read 434,369 times
Sun queen,

The closest you will getto accurate will be the Hebrew version. Number two, the German. Number three the Greek, Number four the Latin.

All the above is in order of accuracy!

If it must be in Englsih than the KJV is the closest to accurate your going to get!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,848,385 times
I've never been able to read an entire KJV. Just can't do it. If you're buying for a readable bible versus a study bible, I'd go with an NIV, NKJV or a NASB (which is reported to be a more literal translation than the KJV, if you can imagine.)

Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,986,889 times
Hey Sun...now that you have all of these wonderful recommendations and are probably MORE confuzzled now than you already were lol...I will also give you a suggestion

I don't know what your spending limit is, however, I would personally HIGHLY recommenda Comparative Study Bible
Here you will have 3 or 4 (depending on which you get) different translations, making it MUCH easier to understand

Here's an example of one:
Comparative Study Bible, Revised, Hardcover (NIV, Amplified, KJV & NASB Update) - - Christianbook.com

You may be able to find on on ebay cheaper...but this really is a wonderful tool!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,184,584 times
I can't stand the newer translations yuck! Anyway, go for the KJV or at the least a NKJV. Chuck the rest.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:02 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,281,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Sun queen,

The closest you will getto accurate will be the Hebrew version. Number two, the German. Number three the Greek, Number four the Latin.

All the above is in order of accuracy!

If it must be in Englsih than the KJV is the closest to accurate your going to get!
Where would I find the German or Latin Bible and would it be in English. I did see the Hebrew and the innerlinear Greek but it looked complicated. Thanks for the information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality