U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM

553 posts, read 383,668 times

Advertisements

Would you sign a contract before reading it OR does it make sense (when you ask yourself) to sign a contract and a VERY serious one at that, without reading it?

I ask this question because in my conversations with many ex-Christians there is this constant theme that many walked away from the faith only AFTER actually taking some time out to REALLY read through the Bible. It's as though they "accepted Christ" first and THEN decided to walk the walk which included reading the Bible. This seems to happen more to such people if they "accepted Christ" when they were young.

I have come to realize that many Christians only become aware of much of the more unappealing things about their faith only after critics and the likes brings it to their attention. I get the sense some of them mumble under their breath saying, "Damn! That's really in my Bible for real?" I can't tell you how many times I have even heard some of them say, "Hold on. Let me go read up on that and then get back to you." They seem at a loss, sometimes confused and even frustrated but while some may show it, others just stay mum and in the shadows. They have to save face. It's like pushing through with an ill fated relationship JUST BECAUSE.

So to me, many Christian and even Muslim believers (not all, mind you) enlist in the faith first and THEN get around to reading up on what the faith is all about only to find out it is not as advertised - yes, signing the contract BEFORE reading it. The salesmen told them it would be the best thing they could ever do with themselves, babbling on about the benefits (escape hell, attain heaven, have your needs met, have a god guy love you more than your mom, etc). They never tell you about the fine print, the flaws or that they will come across some rather tough things to swallow.

Now I wonder, if a person is asked to "accept Jesus Christ," what would the reaction be if the person responds with "hey, give me some time to read this Bible of yours before I make a decision. It might take me a year to six months?" Would that be okay?

what are your thoughts?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:14 PM

3,799 posts, read 5,720,321 times
Sometimes people have a void in their life that they want to fill, a church will seem to fill it for a moment. Other times people have close friends or family of a certain faith and it puts pressure on them to be of that faith. Other times people want to believe in something so they close their eyes (people do this in close relationships too).

As humans we all want to believe in something bigger, something that will give us hope. Sometimes we lose our better judgement because we get caught up in the spirit, other times we completely turn away and decide that not only will we reject religion, we will now reject God. Both extremes are spiritually detrimental in my opinion.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 PM

48,526 posts, read 75,136,468 times
It is my belief that christianity is a life long journey and struggle. We are all sinners afterall. None of us is perfect only jesus was perect.There fore many will doubt their faith many times as just as all jesus closest followers denied him after the was taken by the romans.Mother Thresa in her book talked about her struggles of faith.Many non-christain critised her for this but very christian understood she was being very truthful of her journey.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 PM

8,531 posts, read 13,773,722 times
I don't need a paper to consider myself married, so why would I need a contract?
It is an understanding between me and my partner.
The sad thing is that our society believes that it needs a written contract, but this is only because people generally don't take people at their word.
Besidez, nowadays contracts are made so complicated that you need a lawyer to decipher them.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,231,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I don't need a paper to consider myself married, so why would I need a contract?
It is an understanding between me and my partner.
The sad thing is that our society believes that it needs a written contract, but this is only because people generally don't take people at their word.
Besidez, nowadays contracts are made so complicated that you need a lawyer to decipher them.
Which is worse because if the contract doesn't manage to ********* over, the lawyer will

Old 06-25-2008, 02:40 AM

8,531 posts, read 13,773,722 times
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin
Quote:
Which is worse because if the contract doesn't manage to ********* over, the lawyer will
Sadly I agree, but ******* over for money is normal in our society. Reading a contract is not enough because we should also read the small print if you don't want to be ******* over.

And how about those call centres that call up the elderly who are easily dazzled by the huge amount of information given over the phone? They are generally sweet talked into a binding oral agreement, but are unable to reread the contract because itís an oral contract where giving your consent over the phone is the same as signing a contract on paper.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,694,499 times
There is no errors in the bible so I don't understand what flaws you have a problem with.

God is loving and His son Jesus Christ is the savior of the world.

There is no contract. All a person is doing when they get "saved" as a Christian is saying that what Jesus did on the cross is acceptable to bring me back into relationship with God the father. The bible even says that we can come to him on a trial basis. It is written "taste and see that the Lord is good". So if a person tastes of God and of his word and decides no, this is not for me, what is the harm? This person was dead and going to hell in the first place. The fact is that if they tested the waters and found God to be to their liking then they could have joy and peace for the rest of their lives and live eternally with God. Sounds like it is worth it to check Him out to me.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,299,213 times
Here is another thread on much the same subject: http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...servation.html

Just FYI that this topic has been covered before.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 12,622,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Here is another thread on much the same subject: http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...servation.html

Just FYI that this topic has been covered before.
Good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.