Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,580,201 times

Advertisements

GreatDay wrote:
Quote:
I don't know TD - you will have to ask God what God's plan is -
The problem with that answer is that God is not exactly a chatterbox. In fact I've never received any incoming messages from God in which God described any particular advice on anything. I realize he may be backed up on people thanking him for the contents of their lunchbucket but why can't he send a simple message that reveals that he is real instead of concentrating on prayers that seem inconsequential? I am so glad that I realize that God is not real.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,546,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Howest2008 wrote:

You kind of lost me on that one. If a baby was born after the supposed evil deeds of Adam and Eve and happens to be the recipient of harassment and unrelenting taunting and emotional abuse by other kids are you saying that this kid should just literally go to hell? If I understand the beliefs of Christians I would think that we're only born once and someone who was born in recent years obviously wasn't back in the Garden of Eden exchanging high fives with the serpent (oh wait, serpents don't have hands), so why should a tormented child be picked on until they commit suicide and then have a God come in to slap them with eternal damnation? This is truly twisted thinking.
I see what Howest is saying and that is how can one repent when one has already committed the act of suicide. Suicide is the unpardonable sin and Howest is right God brought perfection into the world and mankind since the Garden of Eden has messed it up. Sin entered the world then and everyone is born into sin until the Second Coming. Thank goodness we have a Savior in Jesus Christ to forgive us of our misdeeds if we believe in Him and repent of our sins.

Last edited by noland123; 07-02-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,142,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So you would let a person suffer in terrible agony because you believe it to be God's will?How cruel and selfish.
I would not presume to know what God's will is TD.

I remember vividly Christopher Reeves - surely a man who was suffering terribly. He was probably one who you might have suggested he commit suicide.

But, Mr. Reeves did so much good - brought so much awareness to issues - he helped so many others - I for one am very glad he stayed around until God decided when to call him home.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,573,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Dayofthelord wrote:

That was pretty cold, George Carlin told it like it is and I feel like you have expressed a certain sense of glee that an atheist is suffering eternal torment. That's really kind of sad.
I said I felt I could say with more certainty, not that I was certain he did. George Carlin was the most outspoken, blasphemous atheist I had ever seen. But you, for some reason, left out my last statement in the post....that I pray that all (that means ALL) come to confess the Lord, even if it's on their deathbeds.

I don't care who it is...even Osama Bin Laden. I would never, ever want to see anyone spend an eternity in hell. As hard as I fight on here to bring people to the Lord, you should not even question that.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,907,739 times
Personally, without scripture I think it is wrong. Why?

God gave people unto the world to choose their paths. Those paths are not guaranteed to be pleasant. We have a choice in our life and God knowing our hearts never puts upon us more than we can take. Basically, no matter the hardship, we are able to rise above it through him. Again, we have a choice to excel above that with his help if we so choose.

So, when a person takes their life, they choose an easy way out. They choose a path which defies God's will and test to them. Just like any sin, we have the ability to refuse the sin, to resist it through his strength. All things are possible through Christ our lord. After that, I have no opinion. What God allows, decides or gives is under his discretion only. Where people end up once they do this is between them and God.

Overall though, those seeking to escape the hardships of life through this easy route may be in for a disappointment. If it were this easy to move on to heaven, there would be no point in lasting the suffering of the world.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,188,818 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
I remember vividly Christopher Reeves - surely a man who was suffering terribly. He was probably one who you might have suggested he commit suicide.
Why should I?
But if he really was in agony and wanted my help to commit suicide I would not immediately say no.
I find it cruel to let people suffer, especially if I could ease their suffering.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:12 PM

27,537 posts, read 15,961,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by saltine So when someone has an incurable condition which causes him to suffer so much that he is willing to end his life, he should stay alive and suffer in agony because?
MG gave two examples of suicide. Now you bring up the almost dead anyways thing. I dont know. Anyways I think most suicides are results of a mental condition.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,188,818 times
Originally Posted by saltine
Quote:
Now you bring up the almost dead anyways thing
Where did I say that the person suffering is almost dead?
I only said that he is suffering from intense pain caused by an incurable condition.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,232,285 times
While I would never condone suicide, I have always thought that the only one who has a real right to take a life is the owner of that life. It is a sad thing to be so desperate to think that is the only way out and they are usually wrong about that. It might be a chemical imbalance or a temporary difficulty that drives someone to kill him/herself. but once done, there is no undoing it.

Where I think it gets to be an immoral act is for those who commit suicide by forcing someone else to kill them - suicide by train forces the engineer to kill them against his will with the train because of the impossibility of stopping that amount of mass. Suicide by cop forces a cop to kill you. Jumping in front of a car forces that driver to kill you, etc. If you want to take your life, you should at least have the decency to make it as easy for the living to clean up your mess as possible and never do it in a way where someone else is your instrument.

As far as the god theory goes, I could never understand how a god that takes a life when he feels like it isn't also taking the suicide's life as well. After all, you can just as easily blame the god for the misery or insanity that causes the person to want to take his life as you can for the god sending a cancer to kill him. If god is all-knowing and all-powerful, then why wouldn't you assume that the suicide is part of god's plan? It seems pretty arrogant and judgmental to say that it defies god's plan. That would mean that you know god's mind.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,123,212 times
this for me is a religious question. i would not presume to speak as to what would be moral for another as to suicide.
i would harm several people that depend on me (esp my mother) if i took my life. not good.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-02-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality