Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times

Advertisements

Montana, was that the documentary where the wives were mostly professional and very intelligent women? In the one I am talking about they were very self suffecient, had smart happy children and seemed genuinely a happy family..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 04:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,597,697 times
blue wrote:
Quote:
Montana, was that the documentary where the wives were mostly professional and very intelligent women?
No, this was located in one of those small communities in the Southwest and the women were dressed like it was 1850. They didn't seem unintelligent though and I thought they expressed their point of view pretty effectively. I watched it when I was living in Phoenix and I think it may have been a local production because there's a large number of polygamists in Arizona and Utah so many people who live in that part of the country are curious about their lifestyle.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,603,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
I always wonder why you don't see more polygamist relationship with one wife and multiple husbands. Anyone know why?
Men are too territorial and 'ownership' minded. Plus they are insecure and don't like to be compared to anyone else. They'd prefer to bravely go where no man has gone before...

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-12-2008, 04:04 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,158,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Polygamy okay? Gay marriage okay? Men marrying sheep? Women marrying horses?

.....cats living with dogs, mass hysteria!

Welcome to New Rome.
That was just a ridiculous post.

Sheep aren't consenting human adults, are they?
Neither are horses.

Think before you type.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 AM

428 posts, read 1,628,603 times
Polygamy as a theoretical doesn't bother me. If consenting adults are happy in such an arrangement, I don't care. The problem is the potential for abuse or subordination of the women--and in practice, obviously among the fundamentalist Mormons at least, there is a tradition of marrying off 14-year-olds to 80-year-old patriatrchs, and the sending out of young boys to fend for themselves, etc.

There aren't so many polyandry-based societies primarily because of evolutionary biology. Male mammals obviously have biological motivation to fertilize as many females as possible. Women have a huge investment in child bearing and rearing, so they naturally seek a stable relationship with one man. This is oversimplified, as there are also environmental/psychological factors and cultural mores involved.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,490,390 times
Any man who would want more than one wife must be a glutton for punishment.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:09 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,597,697 times
firstborn888 wrote:
Quote:
Men are too territorial and 'ownership' minded. Plus they are insecure and don't like to be compared to anyone else. They'd prefer to bravely go where no man has gone before...
I think you're right but if Sharon Stone asked me to be one of her many husbands I think I could work something out.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,573,267 times
I don't think it is morally right, but when I see, like the past incidents of the FLDS, where a man had several docile wives and were able to live in a simple functioning family, I think it is sad today how people can't even live together with one spouse. I am not advocating polygamy, I am rather saying there is something to learn about in every situation and in every good relationship there are better ways to improve it.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM

348 posts, read 555,995 times
Default Polyandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
I always wonder why you don't see more polygamist relationship with one wife and multiple husbands. Anyone know why?
We don't see this, so far, but who knows. It does not take much to shape the North American Mind. Television and the corporate controlled media have done a great job of this.

Lets look at what God has to say about it and maybe this can shed some light on the situation.

The term here for a woman having multiple husbands is Polyandry and is legalized only in Tibet, as far as mans law is concerned.

God says different. It is Gods' law that we should seek and live by. Not man's.

If you would notice that in the Old Testament, there are many examples of Men having multiple wives and it was never considered adultery.

Genesis 16:2-4 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, Jehovah hath restrained me from bearing; go in, I pray thee, unto my handmaid; it may be that I shall obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai. And Sarai, Abram's wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her handmaid, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to Abram her husband to be his wife. And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.

There are many more examples. Jacob married Leah and Rachel (Gen.29:23-30; 31:17; 32:22) and then he married Leah and Rachel's handmaids, Zilbah and Bilhahand (Genesis 30:1-24; 37:2); Judge Gideon had many wives and a concubine (Judges 8:30-31); Elkanah married Hannah and Peninnah (1 Sam.1:2); David married Abigail and Ahinoam (1 Sam.25:42-43; 30:18), then later took more wives (2 Sam.5:13) at Jerusalem (1 Chron.14:3); In 2 Sam.12:7-8, God gave David these multiple wives as a blessing, just as anointing him as king over Israel, protecting him from Saul, and giving him the house of Israel and Judah were also blessings from Him; King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:1-3); Ashur married Helah and Naarah (1 Chron.4:5); Shaharaim married Hushim and Baara (1 Chron.8:8); Abijah had 14 wives (2 Chron.13:21); Jehoiada the priest had 2 wives (2 Chron.24:3). Also, God never condemned ungodly men for having more than one wife either: Lamech (Gen.4:19), Esau (Gen.36:2,6), King Rehoboam had 18 wives (2 Chron.11:21); King Belshazzar had many wives (Dan.5:2-3). In addition, after war-time, many women would marry more than one man because of the shortage of men available due to there being killed (Isaiah 4:1).

We find our brother Paul referring to the polygamy of Abraham without a hint that it was sinful (Galatians 4:22).

Exodus 21:10 "If he takes another [wife,] he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.

So we can find proof that the man is allowed more then one wive. However if a married woman had relationship with another man this was considered adultery. Under the Old Testament, death by stoneing was the penelty for both man and woman.

Romans 7:2-3 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to [her] husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of [her] husband. So then if, while [her] husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.

Even though a man can marry more than one woman without being charged with "adultery", a woman cannot marry more than one man (Romans 7:2-3, 1 Corinthians 7:39), and that if a woman is involved with another man, she will be charged with adultery. The reason the man is not mentioned by Paul is because, according to the law, a man could marry another woman while his first wife was still alive and not be guilty of adultery.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:16 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,820,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
Polygamy as a theoretical doesn't bother me. If consenting adults are happy in such an arrangement, I don't care. The problem is the potential for abuse or subordination of the women--and in practice, obviously among the fundamentalist Mormons at least, there is a tradition of marrying off 14-year-olds to 80-year-old patriatrchs, and the sending out of young boys to fend for themselves, etc.

There aren't so many polyandry-based societies primarily because of evolutionary biology. Male mammals obviously have biological motivation to fertilize as many females as possible. Women have a huge investment in child bearing and rearing, so they naturally seek a stable relationship with one man. This is oversimplified, as there are also environmental/psychological factors and cultural mores involved.
I completely agree. Polygamy is just like homosexuality in my book - between consenting adults, without coercian or threats, I don't care what goes on. I could never do it myself, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality