Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,597,697 times

Advertisements

Alpha wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to point out bad grammar effects us all.

Or should I say bad grammer affects we all
I couldn't resist this. Did you intentionally misspell grammar in the second sentence or was that an accident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:02 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,439,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
hmmm.......

Well, if that's the case the atheist2 should be available, yes?

I'm just razzing you guys since SuSu brought up spelling, I just wanted to point out bad grammar effects us all.

Or should I say bad grammer affects we all

I think atheist2 is unavailable because someone made a spelling mistake when they were trying to make the name ahteist2.

But I think your absollutely right in that people is effected by bad grammer and speeling and I has no problem with them whom make a effort but some people make it seems like they delliberatedly try to sound as if they has not even herd of a english class yet.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,865,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Alpha wrote:

I couldn't resist this. Did you intentionally misspell grammar in the second sentence or was that an accident?
What do you want me to say?LOL

Yeah, it was intentional.hehehe

But only because Firefox has built in spell check. I can barely(bearly LOL) spell my own (on) name

Last edited by Alpha8207; 09-19-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 AM

1 posts, read 381 times
As the religions of the world gradually evolve - and they evolved greatly before anyone started writing about or for them, the 'good books' both converged and diverged depending on the section. Where I, as a spiritual but not religious being, have a problem with all the religious is, in addition to deeply feeling saddened by those who feel the need to preach, that so much in these 'good books' is ignored if it does not suit and invented if it is not present.

How about we re-write the books? That way we will know who wants equality, who needs symbols to worship and who needs others to support them in their beliefs. Such fundamentals are way beyond religion and are most frequently found in the 'a-religious' spiritual of personal responsibility - I guess the place of the atheist - a place of transcendence so often travelled to via religion/s. So part of your answer might well be 'Some find it hard to travel backwards, and especially when the journey has been, either or both, [very] hard and [very] rewarding.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMED View Post
My question is for Athiests, and to invite the Christians to read/respond with the purpose of understanding eachother a bit more.

It appears that we Christians have a "reputation" of being pretty disliked by Athiests. While I don't wonder why that is, I must admit I am just assuming that there have been encounters that you (Athiests) have had with Christians in which you felt that the Christians thought they were "better than" you or "speaking down" to you, or possibly other circumstances. But that is really just an assumption. I realize there have been very heated debates over the "PROOF OF GOD", as nebulous1 started in his/her thread. I see several instances where Athiests ask Christians to prove it, and then when Christians enter conversation, it is as if Athiests are ready for battle, and quite sarcastic when a Christian speaks how they feel. Most anything a Christian says about their proof of God's existence, or even to offer some type of reason to an Athiest is already rejected by Athiests before it even gets off the ground. And it also seems as though we as Christians, step into the Athiest zone as if we must be prepared for your 'hatred', for lack of a better word, and therefore immediately display a hard edge to our tone, as if to get ready to be mocked or downgraded.

To the Athiests, would you offer an example as to why you do not wish to entertain a conversation with a Christian? Do you feel we are belittling? An insult to your intellegence? Why do you seem to feel we are all "whackos" and some sort of back-patting "Dont worry, God loves you", or "You're all gonna burn" mentalities? Were you subjected to the perverbial 'holy rollers' throughout your life or have bad experiences? Perhaps we can listen to you for once, and learn from your experiences to gain a better perspective? I, for one, am very interested in your thoughts.

I ask that none of you please not be mean or accusatory, but perhaps if we (as Christians) can understand more of where you are coming from, and you can understand more of where we're coming from, some different views can be uncovered, if anything for the purpose of enlightenment & growth.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute. Here's your chance to get it out.

-REFORMED
1st...this is NOT INTENDED for the OP....just my thought in general.

Personally I do not care about proof or not, because that is a endless debate that will never resolve anything.

The reason I hate 90% of the religions is because of what it has done to humanity throughout the ages.
My opinion is that these religious texts did have a purpose at one time when humans did not live in large societies and whenever they would converge or establish villages they needed social guidelines....not to steal, kill, do others harm etc....after x generations these social patterns were established and there was no need for these texts....of course the people in power (spiritual leaders) saw this and had to establish organisations (call it churches or whatever) to force people in or to be excluded and suffer the consequences.

Of course they would use fear as their primary tool to make people join and they would maintain their control over the people.

Then these so called peacful people traveled the world and forced people to convert or be killed....vikings, aztec, inca....and I have no idea how many more.

Preaching peace and love on 1 side and killing people of a different faith if they do not denounce it and convert.

Today's Christians (not all, just the fundamentalist bible thumpers) are not much different. They will force their beliefs upon you and if you do not believe your are less worth.

These social guidelines that once were necessary have played their part and now it is basically a matter of us against them and this a 90% cause of most conflicts.

Just a short version of my dislike for any fundamentalist religious person.

And any religion that requires you to pray, go to church etc is BS....if there is any kind of God then that entity will be happy as long as you are a kind person, do what you think is right and I doubt that God approves of killing in his name and forcing other to live according to your personal right or wrong scale.

Do not tell other non believers what to believe and what is right and wrong, you have no idea what "Gods" intentions were and you are not supposed to judge....but that happens on a daily basis.

Interpretations of the bible changes constantly to fit the current accepted behaviors and to maintain power. The original texts have been tweak so many times, I really doubt anyone has any idea what the original intentions were.

My $0.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality