Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 PM

249 posts, read 532,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
This thread moved to R&P because I am particularly interested in the answer from a non-believers standpoint.

Can anyone weigh in?

Again, I'm just asking that if you are a non-believer that's read the bible, what do you see about the disciples that differs from what you see about Christianity today?
I'll start a new thread because this is off topic.. but might be interesting to discuss.

My question is.. and its a general question to all..

When you say "unbeliever"

Do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in what the christians are teaching.. ?

Do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in organized religious assembly and the supernatural.. ?

Do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in loving kindness.. righteousness.. justice.. peace.. wisdom.. truth.. and freedom.. ?

Or.. do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in prophet's law.. which is.. treating others as we would wish to be treated ourselves.. ?

Or is there something else..?

So.. what is an unbeliever.. really.. ?

How can we tell them apart.. ?

After all.. George.. Tony.. and Gordon.. are all "christians".. aren't they.. ?

But do they actually.. believe.. ?

Just wondering.

----

"For in loving kindness I have taken delight, and not in solemn assembly.; and in the knowledge of God rather than in your use of uncanny power. But they themselves, like earthling man, have overstepped the covenant. There is where they have dealt treacherously with me. And as in the lying in wait for a man, the association of priests are marauding bands."

Hosea 6:4

That's my favorite verse.. :-)

----

It sounds like they are talking about believing in God's law to me.. and there are many athiests who believe in it too. While there are many christians who don't.

“So he said to them: "O senseless ones and slow in heart to believe in all the things the prophets spoke!”

Luke 24:25

-

Last edited by accelerator; 07-16-2008 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerator View Post
When you say "unbeliever"
I don't even use the word, lol. I prefer nonbeliever.
Quote:
Do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in what the christians are teaching.. ?
Christians might look at it that way. I see it as not believing what any religion teaches. I'm a nonbeliever in that sense.
Quote:
Do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in organized religious assembly and the supernatural.. ?
You can be a believer and still reject organized religion. You don't need religion to believe in something. Supernatural is a broad term when you think about it. The widely accepted definition for it is "Something that can't be explained by science.", so if I went back in time and showed a lighter to cavemen, they'd consider it supernatural. Nobody can deny the fact that there are many supernatural things, but don't get that confused with believing in deities, ghosts, demons, magick, ect.
Quote:
Do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in loving kindness.. righteousness.. justice.. peace.. wisdom.. truth.. and freedom.. ?
I would hope that nobody means it that way, but that's all I can do is hope.
Quote:
Or.. do you mean.. someone who doesn't believe in prophet's law.. which is.. treating others as we would wish to be treated ourselves.. ?
That "law" is universal and has no ties to religion. The Golden Rule has been written in many ancient texts, religious and nonreligious.

Quote:
"For in loving kindness I have taken delight, and not in solemn assembly.; and in the knowledge of God rather than in your use of uncanny power. But they themselves, like earthling man, have overstepped the covenant. There is where they have dealt treacherously with me. And as in the lying in wait for a man, the association of priests are Marauding bands."

Hosea 6:4

That's my favorite verse.. :-)

----

It sounds like they are talking about believing in God's law to me..

“So he said to them: "O senseless ones and slow in heart to believe in all the things the prophets spoke!”

Luke 24:25

-
No comment.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
An unbeliever is just the flip side of a believer.
Beliefs are a mental construct ... that's it.
They are ideas about reality ... not reality.
They are just beliefs and have nothing to do with direct experience and clear seeing via a mind that is empty and without attitude, preconceptions, beliefs, etc.
If we want to see what is, we have to be present and approach or be in each moment with an open, unbiased mind, clear and detached mind. Otherwise we are just seeing through a lens that is "clouded" with thoughts, ideas, memory pictures, etc., etc.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is ... infinite.
-William Blake-

http://www2.kobe-c.ac.jp/%7Ewatanabe/blake/image/glad_day.jpg (broken link) If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is: Infinite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality