Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrobe View Post
From my research (I don't claim infallibility on any of this, it is my logic and opinion) the date of Moses receiving the Ten Commandments is generally believed to be somewhere between 1440 and 1490 BC. Below is an excerpt from the Egyptian Book of the Dead that indeed contains the Ten Commandments, although Exodus 34 contains ten imperative statements and the passages in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 contain more than ten, so totaling fourteen or fifteen in all.

'Hail to thee, great God, Lord of the Two Truths. I have come unto thee, my Lord, that thou mayest bring me to see thy beauty. I know thee, I know thy name, I know the names of the 42 Gods who are with thee in this broad hall of the Two Truths . . . Behold, I am come unto thee. I have brought thee truth; I have done away with sin for thee. I have not sinned against anyone. I have not mistreated people. I have not done evil instead of righteousness . . . I have not reviled the God. I have not laid violent hands on an orphan. I have not done what the God abominates . . . I have not killed; I have not turned anyone over to a killer. I have not caused anyone’s suffering . . . I have not copulated (illicitly); I have not been unchaste. I have not increased nor diminished the measure, I have not diminished the palm; I have not encroached upon the fields. I have not added to the balance weights; I have not tempered with the plumb bob of the balance. I have not taken milk from a child’s mouth; I have not driven small cattle from their herbage… I have not stopped (the flow of) water in its seasons; I have not built a dam against flowing water. I have not quenched a fire in its time . . . I have not kept cattle away from the God’s property. I have not blocked the God at his processions.'

This book originated around 2600 BCE. The main difference between the Hebrew version and the Egyptian version of the 'commandments' is the Hebrew version is shorter, there is only one god instead of 42 and there is a sabbath added.

The concept of these commandments being carved into stone is also an ancient Egyptian concept. Egyptians wrote in hieroglyphs onto stone and considered writing to be divine, as it was was invented by the god Thoth. They called their hieroglyphic script "mdwt ntr" (god's words). The word hieroglyph comes from the Greek hieros (sacred) plus glypho (inscriptions) and was first used by Clement of Alexandria. Hence we get the Hebrew people receiving "god's words in stone."

My conclusion has been that the story of Moses literally receiving commandments from God is not true. On the other hand, that does no diminish the importance of moral code regardless of where it is derived from. So no, one does not necessarily need the Judeo-Christian god in order to have and uphold a moral code.
Thanks for providing this to all the uneducated out there in CD land...not many Christians know that their God written 10 commandments came straight from Egypt...which really doesn't require a whole lot of studying to actually find this information. The Exodus was also based on the Hyksos Exodus and just proves how syncretism has invaded every portion of the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Beautifully caught, O informed one.
Struck from a googly toward silly mid-off, missed and knocked on to the gully, missed catch and flew on to fly slip, rebounding off the pavilion roof and caught by third man.

P.S. Do you think these Americans know what the hell we're talking about??

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Struck from a googly toward silly mid-off, missed and knocked on to the gully, missed catch and flew on to fly slip, rebounding off the pavilion roof and caught by third man.

Blessed if I do.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,115 times
Well!

Suppose that settles it right?

The Ten Commandments are just a copy of the whatever, Egyptian commandments, stories and all other things imitated by the Jews to make themsleves the chosen, right?

Question? Of all the peoples in the world, which group of people have suffered the most, rejected, scattered, enslaved, murdered, gassed in ovens, and unto this day hated to the very desire to exterminate them all ?

And, which group of people have kept the integrity of their race pure for over 2 thousand years?

I suppose that makes no bit of sense that the God of the Jews would put them through hell for copying and or imitating or religious beliefs?

Or, would it be, that as the chosen race for God's introduction to mankind as a whole, and to deliver His commandments, as detailed by God Himself to Moses, be the same ones to suffer along with Jesus Christ in the salvation of the world?

If you are not a Jew, what suffering are you going through for the law of Moses?

If you are not a Jew, what suffering are you going through for Jesus?

You see, if you want to have answers based on the worlds religious beliefs, be it the Jewish beliefs, Egyptians belief, Muslim beliefs or any others, you must exercise faith in one of them in order to arrive at a conclusion, that being the existance of God in human form for the salvation of the world, be it any of them mentioned above.

Blessings, AJ

Old 08-14-2010, 06:30 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Sounds like an interesting game of cricket...

Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM

A game, I can believe, in its attitude presented, but does nothing to reveal the God that loves us all.

Blessings, AJ

Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
A game, I can believe, in its attitude presented, but does nothing to reveal the God that loves us all.

Blessings, AJ

Well, you have your belief and I have mine...

Old 08-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well, you have your belief and I have mine...
I have no problem with that.

Blessings, AJ

Old 08-14-2010, 07:07 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
The "Truth" of the bible

That the bible is a book is true. That the bible speaks the truth is conjecture.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Conjecture is in the eye of the believer whose proof is in a direct relationship with the Spirit of God, whose life is affected directly as proof as stated in the bible.

2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

If not the experience of the Spirit of God within us, then all is as a fable.

Blessings, AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality