U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:37 AM

13,457 posts, read 4,976,974 times

Advertisements

"belief" is less important than what data points are used and how they are linked together to form a belief. list what we know about the system we are in first. Then form a belief off of that list.

yeah, we all have a blind faith to a degree. like mine is the scientific method will help see what beliefs are more or less valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:47 AM

22,438 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

That is talking about a natural cause and effect which may be found more in wishful thinking than in actually getting what we deserve. In Buddhism however, Karma is a mechanism for allocating merit or demerit to affect how one is reborn. That is a supernatural entity, though supposedly a natural (uncognisant) one. But if a need for analysis and discrimination, not to mention an arguable need for omniscience, is the only way the system could work, we are back into the real of cosmic minds.

I do that, and discard what doesn't stack up.
1. I accept that's what you learned. It is not what I learned...directly from monks...not that monks have all the answers.

2. Do you? Perhaps some. But it seems that you tossed out christianity...and Buddhism. I call myself a Buddhist because it is a body of thought that most aligns with what seems wise to me. I don't buy into all of it. I am not convinced there is, for example, any such thing as nibanna.

Old Today, 12:22 PM

40,037 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Quote:
Your craftiness in intimating self-deception in others while refusing to see it in yourself is almost in a class of its' own. Your craftiness in well poisoning any refusal to accept your faith- claims as fact together with dismissing any debunks out of hand with a slice of bias-accusation is quite remarkable. Your Faith in this fantasy that you have cobbled together is what drives everything you post and your projection of your own bias onto everyone who disagrees plus peeing on your opponents by claiming expertise in 'philosophy' when you dismiss the basic rules of logic when they don't suit you is by now well known. as is your sneering references to 'Sussed', 'debunked' 'bamboozle' in hopes to persuade people that they haven't seen through you when in fact poster after poster after poster has done just that. You are fooling no-one but yourself.
You should just take compliments at their face value, Arq. Your antipathy to a cosmic mind is palpable and invades all your rambling including your pretenses at "sussing, and debunking." Your ever-present fear of being "bamboozled" suggests a history of prior consequences from being "bamboozled." You need to lighten up. There is no prize to win at the end of your efforts here.

Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You should just take compliments at their face value, Arq. Your antipathy to a cosmic mind is palpable and invades all your rambling including your pretenses at "sussing, and debunking." Your ever-present fear of being "bamboozled" suggests a history of prior consequences from being "bamboozled." You need to lighten up. There is no prize to win at the end of your efforts here.
apparently they think different Mystic. they report any science that shows you may a point.

lmao ... what type of socieities "report people to the authroities when you don't think like them."

hey, true story. My kids friend ask me to come over today and talk to him about quantum mech and relativity. conceptually that is. Hes a computer science major at cal teck.

QED and how small is it number 05 !!!!!!!!!

we talked about making claims that link back to the PT are more valid than those that don't ... period.

I asked him what he thinks of people that just say "your wrong"?
and about people that say "I don't know and its a mystery. But i am right. "

he said "well, neither is that acceptable?" . yuppers.

I hope we made another middle man. a there aint no god middle man that is.

Old Today, 06:30 PM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I accept that's what you learned. It is not what I learned...directly from monks...not that monks have all the answers.

2. Do you? Perhaps some. But it seems that you tossed out christianity...and Buddhism. I call myself a Buddhist because it is a body of thought that most aligns with what seems wise to me. I don't buy into all of it. I am not convinced there is, for example, any such thing as nibanna.
I don't claim to know everything and i may be missing something obvious, but - like on Christianity - here I stand. When i decided that the experience of ..whatever people experience..was worth a try I picked Buddhism as the method taught that aimed directly at that. I still think it does that. And i still rather like it I meditate. i maintain a shrine (1). It's not a belief and i have given my reasons why. But something Julian would call 'cultural'.

(1) http://www.city-data.com/blogs/1977106-transponder.html

Old Today, 06:38 PM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Any compliments i have had from you are damning with faint praise or a way of deprecating anything complimentary by then well poisoning it - as you do here with with your laughable attempt to play the 'You must have had a bad experience' card.

I'm light as a puffball old mate, but the arguments are too weighty for you to blow them away just because they don't suit you. That you see no 'prize' to win here shows that you have either lost sight of the real value of human reason, or you prefer to pervert it in order to peddle your personal beliefs.

As always, neither I nor anyone else needs advice from you about how to think or act.

Old Today, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Any compliments i have had from you are damning with faint praise or a way of deprecating anything complimentary by then well poisoning it - as you do here with with your laughable attempt to play the 'You must have had a bad experience' card.

I'm light as a puffball old mate, but the arguments are too weighty for you to blow them away just because they don't suit you. That you see no 'prize' to win here shows that you have either lost sight of the real value of human reason, or you prefer to pervert it in order to peddle your personal beliefs.

As always, neither I nor anyone else needs advice from you about how to think or act.
like how you report any science that exposes your sect of atheism dogma as just hear say?

really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality